PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
Tonight I was soaking in the bath tub and when I got out I lost my balance and fell. With only one leg and no rails it's hard as hell to get up. Well my fiancé was gone to Walmart with the kids. I fought for an hour to try to get up and even ended up tearing a door off the bathroom sink. When Courtney got home she found me in the floor in tears. I got down on myself and felt helpless. I kept thinking I was a Ranger now I can't even get off the bathroom floor. Sorry just needed to vent. I know I won't be judged here.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
DEEP breath,and count your blessings my friend.You are blessed with those that love you...

nobail

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2011
Oregon
You have the heart of a Ranger and you know you will not give up.
Thank you for your service.
Have a Merry Christmas

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Dang guy....don't quite know what to say to that. Sorry you had a bad time. Hope your night gets better. Have a Merry and Blessed Christmas. I'm sure I speak for many when I say we're all here for you.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Shit like this will happen. Healing is a process and most of it is mental. Brad and Weezel gave good advice. You ain't done unless you quit and Rangers don't quit. Your out of boot and you're hiking Mount MF now. Just keep going.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
A good reminder to put that weak stuff away is needed!
Nothin weak about it,my friend.Just sometimes,we are forced to really think about how blessed we really are...May you and Yours have a Blessed Christmas...

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
I'd give you the normal "Ranger Up" speech but I think the other fine folks will cover that. What I will tell you is a little tale about my grandad, the infantryman who took a mortar hit. He had some trouble with balance and strength. Not long after me and my dad found him in a similar circumstance to yours, he decided that me and my sisters needed our own towel rack, and since we were young it should be about two feet off the ground. That way it's scale for the kids, right? Because it was for the grand kids he wanted to reinforce it so we wouldn't yank it out of the wall and as long as he was reinforcing one he may as well reinforce the "Adults Towel Rack" right above it, right?

We've been remodeling the old house and found out about the reinforcement. He used solid iron with a decorative paint job mounted into the studs with four and a half inch bolts. Probably could have held a good six hundred pounds. You never would have known it was there for anything other than a towel rack. He never would have admitted as much, but we never had to pull an angry former infantryman off the floor again.

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Weak? Hell no! You are a ranger and temporarily inconvenienced. Thank you for your service and sacrifice and have a Merry Christmas.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I can understand your frustration. Though very differents causes, we have many similarities in our "different" abilities. I, too, went from up and about "normal" to wheelchair bound literally overnight. Thankfully, God has seen to restore some function and use of my lower body but I still have many limitations. As has been said, the feelings you are dealing with are a part of healing and become at peace or "one" with the new life you have. And it's not easy nor is it fast; I have been "adjusting" to the new me since 1999 and it still, on some days more than others, well, sucks. But looking back I can see good that has come from the many changes in my life: That took some while to see, too. My heartfelt prayers go out to you, my brother.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I never was in the service,and never have been in combat.Of cource I don't really know what it's like.One thing I do know is how much respect I have for you,and all others who have made such great sacrifices for their country.Don't get down on yourself.Be proud of who you are.You've earned it.

prettyinpink648

Might Stick Around
Sep 17, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
Vent all you want and make no apoligies for it! Hell pick up something and throw it too if you want. You are human not a robot. You are a strong man! I appreciate you. Take care of yourself and just be you and live your life one day at a time. I'm proud of you for who you are.

Jul 15, 2011
Shit brother, you're still a tougher son of a gun than most of the men that I know. Dont let it get you down my good man. As others have said, its a healing process, and you are well on your way. Take care!

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Man Irish... sorry to hear it brother... but remember this.
Weakness is giving up... not crying or feeling helpless

Strength is enduring and overcoming... not keeping everything in.
You my brother are NOT WEAK! and remember... Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!
Now get your ass up and keep charging forward! You are not alone!

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
There's a lot of love and respect here for you, mate, and a little trip up is not weakness, it's proof that you're human.
This might sound like a tired cliche, but you've already got what it takes ... there's nothing you can't do.

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
Thank you all for the support and words of wisdom! You know what!? My daughter could use a towel rack.

revs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
Utah
Never met a soldier in any of the services that was weak. You just had a bad day. Smoke a bowl and let it slip into oblivion.
You and yours have a Merry Christmas and thank you for your service.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
from an old grunt to a young Ranger....
adapt and overcome... remember, a frontal assault aint always the best way, just saying.
i have become limited in my movements also. dumped my recliner over backwards reaching for a book, i.e. being stupid. was upside down in a corner and no room to manuver surrounded by heavy shit just waiting to fall on me.
took me over an hour to extract myself and now i keep my cell phone with me all the time and a neighbor has a key for when the warden is gone.
calling for back up don't make you weak, it makes you SMART.

Status
Not open for further replies.