Got Any Pipes That Smoke Better Than You Ever Expected?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Sure we all expect the high grade or custom made pipes to smoke great, and I expect most of them do. Also, many here sing the virtues of inexpensive factory pipes smoking wonderfully too. But what about the odd clunker you picked up at the thrift store, or antique shop? Or a pipe on ebay that just looked interesting but had some issues that needed attending to? Ever have one of those that smoked so flawlessly that you could hardly believe it?
I was smoking an old KBB Twin Bit Yellobole last night, and got to thinking how good this pipe always smokes. I picked this up for a couple of bucks about 6 months ago in a thrift shop, and it was a hot mess. It's a bent billiard, that had a straight Kaywoodie stem stuck about halfway in, and a broken piece of shank was held together with some fine wire wrapped around it to repair the piece. I posted about this back then showing how I repaired the shank and made a repair band out of a slice from the top of a Magic Marker. I replaced the non fitting Kaywoodie stem with an old straight stem that fit, but I bent to work with the bent shape of the pipe. Very much a cobbled together pipe. But here I was having one of those great moments that you get from time to time when relaxing with a smoke. Why did this little crappy old Yellobole smoke so great? I started thinking about other pipes that I have that are kind of little orphans that I've worked on and how they smoke better than some of the higher priced pipes I have. I mean really, if a pipe is a really bad smoke, and it has no historical value, I usually get rid of it, so I don't have any pipes that I smoke that I would consider really bad.
So I found two more examples of pipes that needed some extensive work to make decent smokers, but now for some reason they are not only better than before, but smoke better than many others. The pipes have different construction, fittings, and are from different time periods.

So here's a pic of the three pipes I'm talking about:

img_0245-600x487.jpg

As you can see I decided to show the right side of the pipes for a change, as I've posted pics of these pipes individually in the past. The nomenclature is sort of beside the point with these anyway, and the grain was quite nice on this side. No noticeable fills on any of them, only a couple of pits or dings here and there. I know the tops of the bowls could be sharper, but they're not ugly.

Anyway the top pipe is a pipe I got in 1992 at a B&M in the central coast of CA when I lived there. It's simply stamped Christmas 1992 on the shank, and France on the stem. I could never get along with this pipe, it gurgled, wouldn't pass a pipe cleaner, and it had a red stain that I didn't like. I stripped the stain and finished it in a natural color, used a Dremel to form a curve to the draft hole in the shank that was way at the top of the mortise, and also opened it up a little. I beveled the inside end of the tenon too. For some reason, this pipe now smokes so well and also passes a pipe cleaner I don't just wait for Christmas to smoke it anymore.

The next is an old LHS Filter King Deluxe that needed some bad rim charring removed, the stem was badly out of clock to the right, and the staining was horrible. It has an aluminum screw in tenon, that takes a filter, but I never use one. This pipe never disappoints me, even though it's not the greatest looking old pot.

Last is the poor old KBB Yellobole with the shank repair and replacement stem. I'm sure the stem I used is shorter than the original, but it works just fine.
So how about anyone else? Got a sad little pipe that you've nursed along and found it to be a great smoker?

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I have a straight, army mount billiard from Jeantet that I bought on ebay because it was green (check my name) and I was so surprised at the way it smokes. It's one of the best smokers next to some Dunhills, Rad Davis, Scott Thile, Bruce Weaver and other top smokers in my collection. Believe me, I was extremely surprised at its smoking qualities.

Jan 8, 2013
I have a no name churchwarden I got for Christmas the year before this last one. The only stamping, "Italy." Where ever it was purchased, the seller apparently told them it was briar, but although the stain is very dark and it's hard to see the grain, I'm pretty confident it is pear wood and not briar. It's still a very well made pipe, stem fits flush, the drilling is center passes a churchwarden length pipe cleaner etc, etc. Of course I was stoked when I got it for Christmas... it's a pipe! But even though it was a pipe, and I was happy to get it, I was still doubtful how well it would smoke. Well I also received a pound of Lane Black Cavendish Aromatic (BCA) that Christmas. And of course, I would have to smoke the Christmas tobacco with the Christmas pipe. I have to tell you... for the humble collection of pipes I have, I must be very lucky as most of them, regardless of cost smoke great. I rave on this site often about how well my 2013 Peterson St. Patrick's Day pipe smokes as it's my best smoker, and of course not an expensive pipe as pipes go. The no name churchwarden has smoked wonderfully from the very beginning and is quite possibly my second best smoker. If I were to make a guess, I would assume it's one of those 20 to 30 dollar churchwardens you might see here and there. I honestly can't believe it would cost any more than 40 dollars. But it's always a pleasure to smoke. Now I've recently received the 2015 St Patty which I've only smoked a few times and it's right on par with the 2013 so far. So the churchwarden and possibly the 2013 might have a contender. Never count out a cheap pipe as a possible good smoker. I know many will say you get what you pay for, and swear you shouldn't purchase any pipe under 100 dollars. Perhaps that's true in most cases, but I've been lucky with a few low dollar pipes so far. I also have a Bjarne Viking and Hilson Dream, both low dollar pipes, that smoke wonderfully.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Got Any Pipes That Smoke Better Than You Ever Expected?"
Absolutely! One is an old Dr. Grabow Savoy which I purchased as a part of a package in order to get an American-made Falcon which was what I really wanted. I had scant hope for the good Doctor, but it has proved to be a "magic pipe" delivering an excellent smoke regardless of the tobacco with which I stoke it.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I bought an Italian estate off Shantiques last year that is simply stamped "Reads". It's a sandblast billiard and it smokes lat blends like dream. I also have a $50 Viking smooth bent sitter that has been a great smoker from the very first bowl. I've got some high end and hand made pipes in my rotation along with the two mentioned and it just goes to show that you just never know.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
While cobs are never "sad little pipes", I've never been a big fan of the open draw. I now add an inner tube and they seem to be the perfect pipe for me.

20140705_165530.jpg

I have a box of old bulldog stummels that are all over 100 years old. I wad doubtful at first that they would smoke well, because some had the drilling coming out at various places in the bowl. But, I picked out six of the best drilled and made stems for them. I was thinking that they would just be practice so to speak. But, I now grab one of those before an artisan made. I had drilled them out to 4mm and made sure to drill the stems to the specs of my artisan made pipes. I used Becker for my reference. And, They smoke like a charm. After 100 years, the briar has lost all that it can lose as far as saps go. And, yes, I was surprised at how well they perform.
I also have a couple of Grabows that friends gave me that gave up smoking, and they are good burners too. corncobs also that I picked up in the beginning. Maybe not artisan quality in the details, but they get the job done.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Michael, have you ever posted pics of those bulldogs? They sound pretty interesting. Would like to see them sometime.
Andrew, I agree that cobs aren't sad little pipes, but I do have one in rather sad shape. The bottom burned out, but being the type of smoker I am, I just fixed it up with a little pipe mud, and still smoke it from time to time.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I bought this on an impulse because it was inexpensive and discounted to boot.

The intention was to use it to test blends that might ghost a pipe.

It's a far better smoker than I had any reason to expect.

JobeyAsti_zps9e2455c4.jpg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Sorry Mike, apparently I don't even remember what I've looked at in the past. Man how could I forget those pipes! It just didn't dawn on me that all this time you were making all that art out of the old stummels you mentioned here. Your wonderful metal and gemstone work got me to thinking... I wonder if my wife would be pissed if I took one of her rings to use as a band on my old Yellobole? :mrgreen:

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Hey cosmic..(not to highjack the thread) but what ever became of those few pipes your girlfriend helped you "clean" a few months back by doing the "dishwater soak" with them? Did they recover ok?

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Absolutely. I have a Comet that was a billiard with a broken shank, now it's a nose warmer that's smokes like a champ. It's one of my favorite workhorse pipes. Looks awful, smokes great.
B2yOvTAm.jpg

derfargin

Oh the Nordings, they smoke just fine. No harm, no foul. and, no lemony Joy dish-washing liquid ghosts, Ha ha. She did feel terrible about it, so I don't rag her too much. But, I do make sure not to leave them laying about where she can get a hold of them, now.
As I reflect a bit about what people have posted... I think that if someone just loves a pipe, whether for looks or style, they will make the effort to conform their style to how the pipe smokes best. A pipe would have to be made by a crackheaded Gomer to not smoke at all. But, if the holes line up and meet, there is going to be a way for every will. It just depends on how badly that person wants to put the effort to learn the pipe. Just my opinion and not very well thought out wisdom, ha ha!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Orley, that's why that Yello-Bole was patched together with wire, because it was a terrific smoker. Otherwise it would have been pitched in the trash. I have two old style briar American factory pipes that are fine smokers, rather moderate sized bowls, but good for flake and plug. These are a Yello-Bole briar Checker and a Kaywoodie Saxon, both push bits, no stingers or Drinkless shinanigans. In terms of new pipes, Yello-Bole seems to have gone nearly entirely to Brylon, so someone must buy those. I wonder who it is? I never see or hear of anyone smoking them, except a few Forums members who use them as hard-duty pipes, at rugged job sites or as truck or car pipes.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I have two. My "workhorse" unfiltered Savinelli Natural which cost me $30, has a fill that goes from the bowl to the outside (It's at the top near the rim, so a burnout is extremely unlikely) and will smoke ANYTHING I stuff in there. It will not bite and only occasionally gurgle if I'm not minding my cadence. Finnicky Gawith Flakes, tempermental MacBaren VAs, wet Sutliff aros all smoke just fine.
The other is my GBD Midnight. It has a very comfy perspex stem and smokes English and Oriental blends like a dream.
-Jason

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I have a very shallow Alpha brand pipe that I purchase on eBay, bought and shipped for 10 bucks. During a blind smoke test, the flavour coming through matched that of my Jacopo, and even surpassed a Stanwell.
I am unsure of the shape, I think it may be a eighth-bent prince?
alpha-600x449.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.