Got an estate Peterson's System Pipe today!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I happened to hear from a buddy of mine that an antique store he frequents has a few pipes they just got in. He sent me the address and I headed that way, when I got there I was surprised to find about 50 pipes! Many were no name beater pipes that were not worth the 10 dollars they were asking for them, a few were corn cobs and ugly hand made hardwoods, and then there were 5 that caught my eye... 1 was a Savinelli system pipe that they wanted $50 for (I was going to get this one, still might), 3 were GBD but had some major flaws (they were still asking $50 for each!), and last was what I thought was a Wellington system pipe, because the price was only $35! So I picked up the "Wellington" because I have wanted one for awhile and I set off to find the wife somewhere in the store. When I walked up she asked me what I had found, I handed it to her and said that it was most likely a Wellington, she looked up and said that the pipe says Peterson's! Shocked, I ran to the counter and bought it right then and there! I spit shined the dirty thing and now it looks beautiful! I will post pictures when I get home and can take the pictures.
Sorry for the long winded story!!

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Okay here are the pictures! Anyone have a guess on the date? The band has no hallmarks!

I haven't cleaned the pipe at all other than a wipe down with a damp towel...
IMG_3232.jpg

IMG_3233.jpg

IMG_3234.jpg

IMG_3235.jpg

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
The band is nickle on that one the best way of sort of dating it is by the COM What is the country of manufacture stamp. Made in the republic of Ireland is the most common one being the current one (1949 to present )

This page may help.

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=A_Peterson_Dating_Guide;_A_Rule_of_Thumb

nyed001

Might Stick Around
Feb 1, 2011
Thats one sweet find,I wish I were as lucky when we go to estate shops.

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
Great looking Pete, bubba. What shape # is that ?
Never had much luck dating Peterson, other than Pre, Post Republic.

It's a shame too, it would add to the collectability of the brand.

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
That's a 307, I'm 70% sure. It looks exactly like mine from the pictures. Except mine is from the ebony line and that one is . . . frankly I dunno what that is I've only ever seen ebony's and rusticated red things like their donegal, as well as smooths that were more of a tan or brown that yours is red in the 300 line. There's a chance finding out when they used that finish on the 300 line would give you an idea of the year. . .but its also possible I've just never see a 300 that looked like that while they make them every year.
Anyways Very nice find mate, hope it brings you years of enjoyment.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Top Modern (after 49 ) 307

re1.jpg

Bottom 38 to 41 314 A bit of difference in size there.
Edited a bit, Bubba :)

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
yeah seeing them in the same pic makes it clearer to me what the differences are.
thanks for the education unclearthur heh heh

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
On the off side should be a stamp. If it says Made in The Republic of Ireland as close as you can come is after 1949

Status
Not open for further replies.