PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
I have a very sweet O'Gorman stacked billiard (Comoy second) in the 188 'extraordinaire' size. It is a very nice pipe with a really good hand-cut stem, but I cannot seem to get a decent smoke out of it. The first 1/4 bowl is always fine, but after that I am having a heat and flavor issue.
How do any of you who smoke stacks go about it (tobacco, load, keeping the damn thing lit once you are deep into a bowl)?
Any pointers helpful.
Bob

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I prefer Va or VaPer Flakes in my stacks. I just fold and stuff. This gives me the most consistent smoke. I've never had luck with loose tobacco, oh and I often dump the ash halfway through.

I have and smoke a lot of stacks and toppers. My preferred blends to smoke in them are very, very dry ribbon cut VaPers or straight Virginias. D&R Rimboche SJ is one that I currently smoke in my stacks almost daily. I pack just a tad loosely, gently tamp, and then smoke hands free for the rest of the smoke. I don't usually ever tamp again or relight. It gives a very interesting smoke that I really enjoy.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I agree with Michael.. dry it until almost brittle, tamp it light enough that it doesn't compact too hard, and smoke slowly and mindfully.

It could take some practice to learn the nuance of the particular pipe.
I might even recommend smoking your favorite ribbon cut blend... the height of the bowl could lead to new flavors you've never perceived before.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I would agree with Michael, I think a well dried tobacco well work much better for you Bob.
:)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not sure what to do about the overheating with your stack-shape pipe, however in my experience, tall bowls are superb for certain burley leaf, if you like it. I was given (!) a Ferndown pipe, a bent billiard with a fairly deep bowl with a package of Semois, by a Forums member, and that shape bowl is perfect for this fairly quick burning dry tobacco. Likewise, the tall bowl on my MM cob freehand and my Sav Hercules Oom-Paul also do an especially good job with Tabac-Manil Semois (Belgium burley variant single leaf). Likewise with other non-aromatic burley blends. However, if burley is not to your liking, I'll be interested to hear what else is recommended, and what you enjoy in your stack. I love burley, but I enjoy a wide range of tobaccos and blends.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

McClelland Virginia's always did well in stacks for me. You have to be prepared to tamp and relight more with a stack because of the tall slender shape. There's no secret, they can just be a little more of a pain in the ass to smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No rules on this, but my inclination is to smoke more complex blends in broader bowls (pot, author, diplomat), that is blends with four or more tobaccos, and single leaf or blends with two or three tobaccos in more narrow bowls. It seems to work for me, usually. Of course, not following such guidelines is always interesting and sometimes has excellent results.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
@doctorbob. Welcome the love-hate world of owning a stack pipe. My experience has been similar to the above posts. Basically, a lot of guys love the “idea” of a stack pipe and just had to get one (that was me). Then you realize one day that it is really hard to find 2-3 hours to smoke it properly and enjoy the benefits of the stack/chimney. Then you hate it. Then you sell it. Then you miss it. Then you want one again. You get the picture. Currently, I want one again. But to your question, all tobaccos can be enjoyed in a stack pipe, :rofl: but try and avoid flakes, or else it will be a 3 hour adventure. Also, please use long matches to carefully light the tobacco and avoid charting the rim, which is very easy to do.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I kinda think stack/chimney pipes are now more nastalgic items. In the modern world most of us dont have the practical time to enjoy them in a cumfy chair by the fire while reading a good book. With that said, you might want to fill it half full and smoke as a regular tall billiard, but then you miss out the intended purpose of the shape, which is to allow the oils to meld together over time and enhance the richness of flavors.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I would suggest trying a shag cut. J. F. Germain's Royal Jersey Perique Mixture comes to mind if you don't smoke Semois. Some D&R blends are shag cut, but I'm not sure which... Picayune, maybe. (You're not alone in struggling with deep bowls.)

I have said this many a times, concerning lighting a pipe. Lighting a stack is absolutely no different. Hold the flame about half an inch above the rim and draw the heat down, not the flame. I have never shot a flame from a butane lighter downwards into any of my pipes, nor stuck a match down in there.

Just try it. A three inch stack will light just fine this way, and you don't have to huff yourself silly. It's way more easy that you guys make it out to be.

This always gets so much criticism from people who would see what I am talking about by just trying it. The flame does not have to touch the tobacco.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo doc
picking up on Cosmic's thoughts, when you get an inch or more down the bowl for relights, I have friends who like hemp (candle) wicks. The mj puffers like hemp because it burns at a low temperature and doesn't bruise their leaf as much. The wick is fairly stiff and you can place the flame very precisely.
hp

les

picking up on Cosmic's thoughts,
well, actually.... a'ight, try this, as an experiment. Take your deepest pipe, and put just a little bit of tobacco in the bottom of it. Hold your light half an inch over the rim, and just give it a few puffs. You don't have to huff like an asthmatic spaz, nor try to suck a golf ball through a garden hose. Just some gentle puffs will ignite the tobacco. The heat travels surprisingly fast, and the flame is not necessary to touch the tobacco to incinerate the leaf.
But, Les, that would be entertaining to watch.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Cosmic ... your advice is spot on. I never thought to do the draw down technique on a stack pipe. After reading your post I grabbed my deepest pipe, which is a huge Castello with a chamber depth the size of my finger length. I fill only one pinch of baccy in the bottom. Match 1/2 inch from the rim. The baccy lit perfectly in the bottom with no flame touching.
Darn. Now I want to get another Danish stack/chimney pipe. PAD warning.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
If you like any of the faster-burning codger burleys, such as Carter Hall or Prince Albert, give those a try in there. It will lead to a normal-length smoke, usually. However, if you do have seven hours to sit and smoke a pipe, I have always heard that flakes are great in a stack.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've a very deep Hungarian whose chamber is a stack, and one true stack. Love them both. The 'secret' is dry tobacco, whatever the cut. And cosmic's lighting tips are on the money.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
St. Bruno... of course!
Oh wait.... I mean.... uhhhhhh..... Sutliff somethinorother... yeah, that’s it, anything Sutliff.

+1 on Sutliff, or MacBarens... that’s the ticket.

FZKada

Status
Not open for further replies.