PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
I received my new pipe yesterday http://www.pipetobacco.com/real-briar-arena-stromboli-pipe-no-7142.html .It is a 9mm which can be used with a filter or without. It has a small adapter in the base of the stem if you are not using a filter. Do I need to leave the adapter in if not using a filter?

posaydal

Lurker
Dec 6, 2015
Serbia
Try it both ways. Sometimes, adapter can restrict airflow, making it a bit harder to smoke. On the other hand, smoking without adapter can give you too wide draw. Personally, i prefer restricted airflow to wide flow... Since everything in pipe smoking is very subjective, i would recommend you try both and see what suits you best. Cheers, mate :)

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I can only speak of my own experiences on this. You can smoke it without the adapter; however, you may or may not experience some "washing out" or dilution of the flavor of the tobacco. Leaving the adapter out can also lead to condensate leaking out of the shank/stem junction, as the large volume is a great place for it to condense and accumulate. This has happened to me with Dr. Grabow aluminum push-stems without a filter in place. (I don't use filters, per se; I use balsa.)

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
Thank you much, I was unsure if it had to stay in, I am going to remove it and it give it a whirl.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I use only filter pipes with 6mm adaptors. I find the airway too open without an adaptor. Some prefer it wide open that way. It diminishes the flavor for me. But you might like it with some blends and not others, with and without the filter or adaptor. I just don't want too many different filter systems -- so I haven't bought 9 mm or maple wood insert pipes. Most of my pipes are designed (and smoked) without filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.