Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Got a New Artisanal Pipe, And It's Mine! It's All Mine, You Hear!

(7 posts)
  1. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I decided to support one of our forum members who is a beginning pipe maker. I'm talking about Chris (shikano53) whom you've seen posting his pipes here. I think he comes up with some interesting designs that are close to classic, but have a little twist to them. When I saw this bent apple pipe that he posted I knew I wanted it for my own! I think Chris is a little too hard on himself as he thinks his designs are flawed. I think they are quirky! Maybe he should call them "Quaints". Even his signature dot on the stem is in an unusual place, neither on the center of the side or the top. No matter what you think of the pipes he's producing, this one smokes as good as any pipe I've had. Does it have a fit and finish of a Rad Davis, or any of the other high end artisanal or factory pipes. No not quite, but give him time, maybe he'll get there someday, or maybe he'll just choose to do what pleases him and continue making quirky pipe designs that are made to be good smokers. Either way, I applaud him and all the others out there that have taken on the challenge of hand making pipes. I don't think my arthritic hands could handle it, so I'll just stick to refurbishing pipes once in a while.

Here I am in all my glory breaking it in with some C&D Pirate Kake

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I've been very impressed with Chris's progress, and yours is a fine example of his work!

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Everyone needs a Mentor and I couldn't think of anyone better than you. By the way I like his pipes too.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I remember that pipe and thought the execution was wonderful. You obviously think so too. Congrats to both of you.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. cshubhra

cshubhra

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice pipe... and Chris, all the best in your pipe making enterprise. Will by one from you some day. Is there a thread where I can look at them?

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The man makes a nice pipe, beautiful

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Orley ... and you wear it well. A very refined looking pipe.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   headhunter, buzkirk, sumusfumus, odobenus, disinformatique, donjgiles, ormazd, justanotherdude