Got A B&M Branded Pipe That Was A Surprise To Me! (pics)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I know that over the years a lot of B&M shops have sold pipes that were branded for them by pipe manufacturers. Some have achieved some fame and have a following too, and I have acquired a few of these pipes over the years as they were made by makers that made quality pipes. They usually represent a good buy as they can be very nice pipes at reduced price because they don't have the actual manufacturers name on them.
Much to my surprise I found a pipe branded by a local B&M that I had no idea that they ever sold. Some of you are familiar with The Country Squire tobacco shop in Jackson, MS, which is known for being mostly about pipes, but sells cigars too. I found this pipe in an antique shop and couldn't resist. I wasn't real sure when I saw the stamping, but I figured where else but in MS would you be likely to find one. When I got home I verified that the pipe logo was the same as the stores logo, I couldn't wait to clean it up. Thankfully, it didn't need much, and shows some nice briar with no fills at all! A great little square shanked apple shape, so I tried it out last night with one of their own blends, Hunting Creek, sort of an aro with a little latakia in it. The pipe has a really open draw and had no gurgles.
The pipe is only stamped Country Squire, and Selected Imported Briar. (which is guess is better than random imported briar, heh, heh) The stem has what remains of some sort of shield on one side and the letters PARA on the other, which I don't know what that means either. I can't find anything about this pipe on line, such as who made it, so I guess I'll just have to talk to Jon at the store to see if he knows anything. But feel free to chime in if anyone out there has any info, or if you have one too.
img_00012-600x398.jpg

img_00023-600x393.jpg

img_00067-600x419.jpg

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I like it. Saddle stems are my favorite.
FYI....
Origin of PARA

Turkish, from Persian pāra, literally, piece, scrap :rofl: Seriously nice pipe though.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
I don't know anything about the pipe, But it is quite nice. Good find. Enjoy it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As I guess you already know, the "Imported Briar" means it was made in the U.S., since that was marketing speak in the U.S. after World War II for "this is real briar from overseas, not a domestic substitute." I think you'll be able to pin down the source. I'd say not Dr. Grabow, maybe Kaywoodie, but there are lots of other possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.