PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with the seller or originating sales site. I just found it interesting and had to share.
Found this on a site today while browsing. If you're looking for a unique Comoy's pipe at a bit of a high price, look no further. It's an old 1917-1930s age Virgin with some pretty interesting plumbing and gold band/cap combo. Beauty of a pipe but man, I don't think I could pay that for it however worthy it may be.
Enjoy.
expensive-etsy-comoy.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That's a beautiful piece, but the price seems a bit high, even with the elegant metalwork. I haven't seen that filter before. My knowledge of early Comoy's is limited ,but I believe that their top of the line in the early 20th century was the Prima.

For a collector of rare Comoy's, the price might not be that out of line.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I think Sam's about right on the dating. The patent on the "stinger" wasn't applied for until November of 1926, and wasn't granted until April of 1927; in other words, the presence of "269082" means the stinger at least, and probably the pipe, dates from mid 1927 or later. As for the silverwork, if it was done by the mfr (which I also find unlikely) wouldn't it be hallmarked?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Other than bands, I don't care for metal work on pipes. Briar's unique property as a material for pipes is

its fireproofing and insulating properties. Then, to add back metal that heats up seems like a fool's errand

to me, but I apologize to those who favor metal embellishments. Each to his own. For that money, if I

budgeted that way, I'd commission a pipe (or two?) with one of the premier artisan carvers, and I would

not ask for metal work.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Lets start a pipe lobby mso, we need to protect the rights of pipes everywhere, to be free from metal embellishments, it does nothing but causes the pipe undue stress, pain and increases the chance the collector won't actually smoke it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I found the original listing, which is on etsy. The seller thinks that the metalwork is aftermarket and not original to the pipe. Still, a lot of do-re-me for that pipe. Also, the seller is clearly not a pipe person, based on the description written in the listing.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I usually read all of Mr. Can's Comoys Ebay listings and think I remember him making the point that the drilled, 3 pc, stem C logo didn't start until the early 1930's. That silverwork sure does look aftermarket, I don't think Comoys pipes commanded quite such an elegant option at the time nor the price point it would have required? (Dunhill did).
I stand corrected, pipehil's info on the logo says:

The “C” logo was first inlaid in the side of the mouthpiece around 1919.

Aug 1, 2012
It's from the 1930's. The Virgin briar line wasn't around until the '30s
I just got my information about the dates from pipedia. The following quote is from the article there.
With no date given by the article for initial production I had no choice but to assume the date range given by the drilled C, Comoy's name and COM stamp.
The patent on the "stinger" wasn't applied for until November of 1926, and wasn't granted until April of 1927; in other words, the presence of "269082" means the stinger at least, and probably the pipe, dates from mid 1927 or later.
This does significantly narrow down the date range however.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
The Captain mentioned 'gold', not silver work on the pipe.
I'm not sure if that is hand engraving, or some sort of stamping.
If it is hand engraving, it is amazing.
Not for me, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.