Goodnight Mrs Calabash whenever you are!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

96 Fresh Peterson Pipes
36 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
9 Fresh Winslow Pipes
3 Fresh Askwith Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
From Cob, to a Churchwarden and now on to Calabash Pipes. This is the oldest Calabash Pipe I own, it has the normal Meerschaum bowl but rather than be removable the maker, Astley of London, capped the top with Silver and added an inscribed Silver band at the end.
This is a lovely piece of early 20th century workmanship and I’m sampling some Virginia no.1 by Mac Baren to keep it smokey.

banjo
42767144200_299410b46e_z_d.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know where the gourd pipes originated, but they always call to mind the London gentlemans' club to me. That is a classic version for sure. For folks too young to know the allusion, "Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!" was the sign-off at the end of every show by the vaudeville performer who also later appeared on TV, Jimmy Durante. On TV he'd amble off into progressively smaller spotlights, finally turning around and delivering that line. I think Mrs. Calabash was a sympathetic landlord or theater person who helped him when he was young, though I don't think he ever explained it explicitly.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
There were several thoughts rolling around about the origin of that line by the Schnoz, some suggested it was for a waitress that kept the diner open a little later so he could have a meal and others support it was to his wife, I believe it was for Mrs. Durante.

banjo

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I can just barely remember the Jimmy Durante Show. It went of the air at least 60 years ago and for some reason it has never made it to the rerun channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.