Goodbye to overcased aromatics and hello to...........

SmokingPipes.com Updates

2 Fresh Kent Rasmussen Pipes
12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes
12 Fresh Chacom Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
3 Fresh Bill Shalosky Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Hi all,
First thing, I smoked a Davidoff Pvt Stock Corona yesterday, dipping it some Di Saronno Amaretto and I had no negative reactions (asthma). I actually enjoyed this cigar and I hate most. Well, I just ordered my accessories for my new Big Ben and now just need to order the tobacco. I'm not looking for overly sweet old favorite aros such as Sutliffs Dolce or Maple Street. So, I am looking at something different. Must be mild, low nicotine, slightly sweet and no bite. Choices now are 4noggins Bold headed Teacher and Essence of Vermont. I tries Owls head in the past, but found it too earth and woodsy tasting for me. Same was true with Frog Morton Around the Town, but less so. It was probably a blend I could get used to, but didn't give it a chance. Will also order Boswells Countryside, Dans Blend, Penn Dutch treat and Raspberry cream. Last two will have the most casings and are true aros. In the future I will be ordering some blends from Pipework and Wilke. Opinions more than welcomed. Thanks

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Try Lane Limited 1Q, that's always recommended for a good reason, it's good.I've got jars and jars of aromatics that I don't often smoke any more but always go back to 1Q

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Try some Carter Hall or Cornell & Diehl Pegasus. Both are sweet nutty smokes with little to no bite.

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
It was probably Latakia in froggy you didn't like when you order from carol at briar works and woke discus your likes. Shel

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
So, I am looking at something different. Must be mild, low nicotine, slightly sweet and no bite.
Try some of the McClelland Virginia offerings like St. James Woods, Virginia Woods, Dark Star, the Matured Virginias, etc. These should all hit those criteria. Hearth & Home Anniversary Cake is also a very popular blend that hits those notes.

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
+1 to torque and add Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Bullseye Flake.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Bald Headed Teacher sounds like a good choice for you. Also try some Autumn Evening.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Must be mild, low nicotine, slightly sweet and no bite.
Congratulations! We've got just the thing for you! Prince Albert (Carter Hall, Sir Walter Raleigh, Edgeworth clones) will fit that description for several of us who've smoked codger blends with regularity.

What no one can guarantee is that last requirement. "no bite"...that's on YOU.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Thanks all for some solid recommendations. As for 1q, that was my first ever smoke. I liked it at first, but became "bored" with it after a few weeks. Same with Lanes BCA.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
If you're going to continue to smoke the pipe and see how it goes with your asthma, and you're looking for something that meets the above criteria....
I'd second H&H Anniversary Kake. Naturally sweet when puffed easily, a bit of baking spice-like flavor for interest. Affordable, comes at the right humidity, packs up nicely.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Oh McCllelands Blackwoods Flake, and McClelland Christmas Cheer would also fit those bills.
As well, you may wish to check out MacBaren Roll Cake. Very very lightly cased, has natural sweetness from some cavendish- again, when puffed carefully, I get a sort of candied orange or lemon flavor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One of my surprises with blends was that plainer often stronger blends without flavorings and excess casings, though they taste stronger and may have more nicotine, seem far gentler to me than most aromatics in terms of bite and burn. I have much less residual effect from a two-fisted blend like C&D Dark Burley or Big 'n Burley than from a whole list of supposedly milder aromatics. You do have to slow down your pace, and a new pipe smoker might prefer to start these in a filter pipe, but for me, they are a far gentler time than the coconut rum and vanilla chocolate cocktails. I admit, asthma is an unpredictable condition, and I think different patients react to different substances, so this may not be true for you at all. But perhaps it is worth considering. Some of the codger blends already mentioned might work -- Carter Hall, Prince Albert, or many the PC Hearth and Home Mid-Town series which are matches to some of the classic tub blends but I think have fewer additives (casing, flavorings).

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
Think about trying Blue Note. Its a little pricey but have heard nothing but good things about it, I have a friend who swears by it!!
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/72805/dan-tobacco-blue-note/
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/4329/dan-tobacco-blue-note

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
@Crazyhog I myself don't have asthma but overcased aromatics set me off in a coughing fit like crazy, so you aren't alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.