PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I wonder if there's a correlation between good writers, writing, and pipe smoking.
Sparrowhawk gave me the idea for this topic. It seems to me that there is indeed a correlation between good writers, writing, and pipe smoking. Quite a few of the great writers of the 20th century were indeed pipe smokers. Their reasons for smoking a pipe, however are probably quite different than a current writer who smokes a pipe. For them, I'm sure they smoked a pipe or began smoking a pipe simply because it was more common in their time. They took up the pipe, found they enjoyed it, and it relaxed them and helped them focus. In a way, when writing, it may very well have become a tool as important as their pen, paper, and typewriter. I know that for me, it does indeed help me relax and focus, and therefore helps my writing.
For the modern writer, I think the reason they smoke a pipe is much the same as the writers of yesteryear. But with one difference. Today pipe smoking isn't as widespread as it once was. Often someone's story is they began smoking a pipe because of a favorite writer, or a story that writer created. They of course stick with it, because they find that the pipe has become a tool, that in one way or another helps them in their writing. I'll admit, a few years ago when I first took up the pipe, a large part of my reasoning was this... Tolkien, Robert Jordan, C.S. Lewis, many of my favorite writers or other great writers smoked a pipe. Perhaps I should do the same. And so I bought a pipe, imagining myself the next Tolkien, or Hemingway, or whoever else was a great writer. Of course I can't hold a candle to any of them, but they were indeed onto something. When I'm sitting at my desk while writing, or reading what I've written, or just dreaming up my next chapter in my mind, the pipe has indeed become a tool very much as important as my laptop.
So what say you?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipesmagazine Forums especially attracts pipe-smoking writers because the medium is writing and reading. Pipes have always had some professorial, intellectual, and literary imagery attached. The Plains Indians were big recreational tobacco smokers, as were the traders, trappers, and hunters of non-Indian extraction who lived around them. Pipe smoking was a standard relaxation when they came home from hunting. So it's not all about a book-lined study. Literary success is like financial success, partly effort, and partly a convergence of aptitude and fortuitous circumstance that simply can't be arranged but emerges from the ether. One of my most well-off relatives who hit the lode in the recording industry (after some success as a percussionist in jazz and r&r) described that effect. You can want it and do the work, and have good judgement, but then it happens or it doesn't.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
I think pipe smoking offers a way to allow one to sit and focus on the writing, reading, wording and imagining that writers need to do. Smoking a pipe is something that helps keep boredom at bay without being too distracting, it relaxes the mind without dulling it.

I do know that many writers smoked pipes, but a lot of people that did creative work other than writing also smoked a pipe. I see it a tool that helps one create and imagine.

I am not a writer, but a reader. For me it helps to a point, but I do find that I get sleepy more quickly than if I didn't smoke, at least for difficult works.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
When you have to put in 8-12 hours a day in the chair, grinding out text, it helps to have the cognitive enhancer, relaxant and flavorful friend that is a pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I know Hemingway was photographed with a pipe on occasion, but I'm not sure if he was a pipe smoker, per se. When he smoked anything, I think it was a pipe. I don't recall him ever being associated with cigarettes or cigars. Maybe some cigars in Cuba, as local product. He was a restless, kinetic, and combative personality, and I'm not sure he settled down often enough, long enough, except to write. I don't think it was easy or comfortable to be Ernest.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
There was an interesting read that I found referenced in an article about pipe smoking: Tobacco and the Soul. It seems that the pipe is related to the faculties of the person that relate towards introspection and reflexion, qualities that are paramount to a writer.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
The way I look at this, everyone on this forum is a writer. And you're all pipe smokers. I'll read your comments not caring whether you have a degree in English Lit or not.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Modern pipe smoking has become idolized by a few to fanciful notions. A pipe to writers of the past was hands free tobacco consumption. Even actors in old Hollywood productions were seen with a pipe in their mouth in all activities of their day. Even bad writers of the past likely smoked a pipe. Pipe smoking as a hobby is a more recent trend.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
I think pipe smoking has much less fancy notions associated with it in modern times than in the past. In fact, our modern culture has hardly anything fancy associated with it at all. The past is filled with men of education, those who read Plato, Shakespeare and the great myths of Greece and Rome as a part of their regular school curriculum. Cigarettes became available in the 1840s and were instantly popular. Pipes were always less popular and those who smoked pipes considered their practice to be superior.

From Pipes and Tobacco by J.Cundall 1901

pipes-and-tobacco.jpg

Some comments about cigarette smokers by those who smoke pipes. Nevadablue posted a link for the book The Soverane Herbe in this thread: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/cardboard-tins-and-sherlock-holmes

cigarette-weakness.jpg

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
And some cigar smokers see themselves more superior than the pipe smoker. All of the rest of the modern world just sees tobacco users. As for Plato, pretty sure tobacco pipes were unknown in Ancient Greece. They were more prone to natural gas intoxication, and cannabis.
HISTORY OF SMOKING - WIKIPEDIA
In Ancient Greece, smoke was used as healing practice and the Oracle of Delphi made prophecies while intoxicated by inhaling natural gases from a natural bore hole. The Greek historian Herodotos also wrote that the Scythians used cannabis for ritual mourning purposes and, to some degree, pleasure. He describes how Scythians burned hemp seed (IV, 75):

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
The women of the oracle of Delphi used a plant from my studies, but I don't have the source handy as I read it many years ago, although it wasn't hemp. The Plato reference was to show something that was studied that is no longer common knowledge. Philosophy and Government were part of schooling in the past, now schooling is more about following direction than learning how to use our minds.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Philosophy and Government were part of schooling in the past, now schooling is more about following direction than learning how to use our minds.
Isn't that the truth.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
You could easily get me on a tangent about education. It is one of my favorite subjects.

To try and bring the subject back to tobacco and storytelling.

The Blackfoot Indians were a tribe that cultivated only one plant, tobacco. They considered it sacred and only allowed an initiated group to grow and use it. While not much for writing, they had a strong oral storytelling tradition. It seems that pipes and tobacco have been a part of fancy idealizing and story telling since prehistory.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I always love reading the "pipe smokers" are smarter, better looking, manlier, etc. posts which cite all manner of evidence, usually written by pipe smokers. to justify or support tobacco use. All sorts of great thinkers, pulp writers, odists, dramatists. etc. never touched tobacco in any form.
I suppose if an author thinks the pipe makes them a better writer well, maybe. How much better or worse would they be if they didn't smoke? That's the question.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
Your point is right warren, but this a pipe smoking forum. If we were on a Yoga forum wouldn't we be talking about the virtues of Yoga. While no way is is the only way, nor is any way always going to provide a positive outcome for the consumer, we can at least share our experiences and be the advocates for what is demonized by the majority of people exposed to modern propaganda. Showing that the general message smoking is harmful is only a product of our times, is a message that we can take comfort in. Supporting each other in our common activity is not a bad thing.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I was surprised by that quote from Soverane Herbe, even in 1902 they realized that cigarettes are as addictive as opium. 8)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Personally I am not aware of any real virtues to smoking. I dearly love it though and such is a comfortable adjunct to reading and such in the evening. During the day pipes, cigarettes, etc. simply keep the old nicotine level at acceptable or above.
The pipe, for me anyway, is simply a selfish, wee vice I enjoy. The enjoyment even out weighs the stupidity I feel watching my money burn and waft to the ceiling as I enjoy a book and and dram of port.
I can think of no virtue to attribute to tobacco, others do I suppose, it costs me money, may adversely impact my health, my clothes, vehicle, and house reek of stale smoke and, of course, wet lab. Nope! For me it is a purely selfish undertaking which I truly enjoy and, I think I've earned.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I read it. Well, nearly all of it to be honest. And, I agree with the writer's conclusion that there is no conclusion to be made other than he seems to find nicotine useful for himself/herself? (I'm not up on Welsh names). He is eclectic in his interests.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
He has 11 nicotine patches on his forehead too. But, he says it improves handwriting. So, I will keep smoking my pipe and see if I can ever learn to read my own handwriting.

Status
Not open for further replies.