Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
I love escudo but I also try to avoid buying tins and stick to bulk as much as possible, due to budget constraints mostly. So I wondered if anyone's found a bulk alternative to it. The coins are cool but if it's a loose blend I would be open if it came close. I've tried other vapers and none come close. I don't like Elizabethan, though idk y. I do like sutliff match which ppl say is like the old Murray's Elizabethan...

I was also wondering about getting blending perique to add to my fav Va. Blends...

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Have you tried Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake? It comes in bulk. Since STG's version of Escudo is made with Stokkebye tobacco, you may find PS-LBF a good replacement. I don't like it fresh, but with 4 years of age at the minimum it develops into a pretty good blend.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many like PS Luxury Navy Flake, for one. Orlik Golden Sliced is a good smoke, but it's nuanced to taste any Perique, though it is said to be there; it's tinned but not expensive.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
I do like orlik golden sliced a lot but as noted not offered in bulk.

And I should have added I have the three P.S. flakes always on hand but also as noted need some age. I don't know if I'm gonna be able to age myself 4 years. But after 6 months it starts getting a wee bit better to me.

Thanks anyways sable and mso, I always enjoy reading both of your posts..

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Ps bullseye flake is great. Smoke it right away, it’s still good but does get better. I swear by C&D Poplar Camp and Bayou Morning. Best vapers bulk or tin in my opinion

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Also try C&D Bayou Night. Some Latakia is mixed in there. Very good but quite potent.

Gh&co Louisiana flake is excellent also.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
You know, I don't really care for bayou morning, and I had high hopes but it just is not good and a little bad to me. Ad for night, I'm looking for one without latakia and I have English/balkan blends is mason jars up the wazoo..

While it may have a trace amount of perique, I wouldn't call OGS a VaPer. I cannot taste any Perique at all in it, just Virginias. I think the small trace amount is used to help expedite the aging in OGS.
And, unfortunately, I can't handle the crappy Virginias in C&D VaPers. Morning Bayou is merely... Ok ok, I was about to become hyperbolic... I will show reserve... it merely doesn't appeal to people who prefer... the flavors of real Virginias. C&D are awesome at Burleys though. Way to go!!! ...just don't make me smoke their shitty Virginia stuff :oops:

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
it merely doesn't appeal to people who prefer... the flavors of real Virginias
Not to interrupt this thread, but your comment is interesting to me as a noob, having only tried a few VAs, one being Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia. So what would you recommend for a "real Virginia"?
PS: I am about to try Elizabethan for the first time, and my first VaPer. Should be interesting given the comments.

Virginias are to be explored. FVF, Astleys 109, BlackJack, MB Pure Virginia, Any McClelland you can get your hands on, even BITEY ass MacBarens Virginia #1 is worth checking out. It will be a mouth full of yellowjackets, but a decent acidic sweet Virginia.
To give C&D some credit, they do have one Virginia that I really like, but I am keeping it under my hat till I get fully stocked up on it. But, their blends all have a burley-ish flavor to me, like some of the Virginia gets air cured, or doesn't fully flue cure, or they add burley to it. Whatever, it just has that taste to me.
By all means once you develop a palate for Virginias and maybe Burleys also, give C&D VaPers another try. I smoke them every now and then, and just get my mind off of it being a Virginia, so I can better enjoy it for whatever it is.
I know, I know, I know, I'm a snobby son of a bitch. But, I try to be nice about it. :puffy:

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Report back on the Elizabethan techie. And btw your not interrupting, your participating.

And cosmic, although usually I'm in agreement with you, I have to agree to disagree in that I can definitely taste the perique in golden sliced. Mb not as much as in escudo but it's not like lnf where ik we both can't taste it. A lot of people don't like filters but I tell ya it will keep you from wearing out your taste buds and burning your mouth. And imho the real flavor comes through and what is lost in flavor is not really flavor at all, it's the tars and junk and moisture that's the same in all tobaccos.

I think you may be on to something with c and d va.s.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
You know, I don't really care for bayou morning, and I had high hopes but it just is not good and a little bad to me.
I think Bayou Morning is a little "rough"; give Poplar Camp a try, it's, to my taste, a "rounder" more easily smoked tobacco.
:)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The beauty part here is that Va/Pers are a widely done blend in many, many variations, so I don't think you have to look far in most bulk tobacco menus to find an ample selection, to be ordered by the ounce until you have honed your tastes and know exactly what you like. Cosmic, I agree C&D shows off best with blends that include burley. McClelland was the old Virginia master; that crown has yet to be claimed by someone else, though there are good examples around. I'm a hopeless burley fan, so I won't attempt to pick out the winners.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never been haunted, but OJK original blend is always an open jar with me. For tub tobacco, PC Chestnut is my thing.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well, speaking of crappy C&D Virginia blends, one of my favorite crappy C&D Virginia blends to smoke is Yorktown, which is a bulk. I buy it by poundage as it's a great all day smoke.

A lot of people like Sutliff 507-C, which is a straight Virginia flake sold in bulk. Haven't tried it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.