Tags:   

Good Vanilla Aromatics

(27 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by dermotfahy
  • Latest reply from tony777
  1. dermotfahy

dermotfahy

Login to Send PM

What are the best vanilla aromatics? Specifically ones without PPG. I have tried several, but have yet to find one with any flavor.

I've had the opportunity to observe human beings for seven decades, and if you do it for that long and don't have a foul disposition, either you're simple or you haven't been paying attention.
    - David E. Petzal
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Vanilla Cream Flakes by Mac Baren is my favorite. Seems to have the best flavor in my opinion. They also produce a ribbon cut loose version of the same but never tried that.

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have diminishing taste for aromatics, and when I smoke them for a change of pace, I want a tobacco forward blend. Flavoring ingredients in general tend to cause bite and burn for me, whereas I experience little or none of that with non-aros. So my idea of a good vanilla aro is Lanes LL-7, which has a little caramel too.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. python

Bob

Would Smoke Rabbits if He Could Keep them Lit

Login to Send PM

This is one of the best vanilla blends that I have ever smoked.

Dan Tobacco Sweet Vanilla Honeydew

"When the Government Fears the People, There is Liberty;
    When the People Fear the Government, There is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

+1 Sweet Vanilla Honeydew. Only vanilla aro that I smoke on a regular basis.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. ltstone

ltstone

Login to Send PM

I like McClellan Vanilla black Cavendish for a pure/sharp strong vanilla savor and Sutliff vanilla custard for a more buttery, creamy vanilla feel. Most Aro's are hard to taste but these vanilla's had more taste than others I have tried.

Dermo: What Vanillas have you tried?

an ego without the power to notice itself
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. pylorns

James Foster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ditto on the Macbaren vanilla creme flake - the flake over the ribbon cut - its the same stuff, but the flake holds its flavor longer - now that said I think it probably has some PPG in it, but not much. Anything from sutliff is going to have a bunch more in it. Lane BCA is pretty darn good too btw.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. snowyowl

snowyowl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sillem's Musketeer is a Cavendish and Burley with vanilla. Sillem's does well with many blends.
    http://www.tobaccopipes.com/sillems-musketeer-pipe-tobacco-tin-50g/

"If you see something... pipe up."
    Posted 3 years ago #
  9. huntertrw

huntertrw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

dermotfahy:

Allow me to suggest Wilke No. 191 from Ms. Carole Burns of Pipeworks & Wilke. Her Website (Pipeworks & Wilke) describes it as, "A tobacco for all seasons, the right aroma and the right taste make this my number one selling tobacco! The natural flavors of vanilla beans and Vermont honey are combined with Virginias, matured Kentucky Burley and a combination of 3 toasted Black Cavendishes to create this most popular mild slow burning blend." I find the taste and aroma to be outstanding, and I recommend this pipe-tobacco.

Love Me, Love My Pipe
    Posted 3 years ago #
  10. jkrug

jkrug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Arrowhead Pipe Club Mixture from Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint Michigan is a crazy good blend.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. michaelmirza

Michael Mirza

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

7th Avenue Blonde by Drew Estate is very creamy and tasty!

Sometimes I take pictures: http://instagram.com/michael_mirza
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. ltstone

ltstone

Login to Send PM

I like Vanilla and I haven't heard of half these blends yet..

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

+1 Sweet Vanilla Honeydew. Only vanilla aro that I smoke on a regular basis.

Here the same!

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know it's an "ordinary" sticky mess Aromatic, but I really like Sutliff Mountain Pass (no longer available), which I'm told is just Vanilla Custard (which seems to be in stock at the moment).
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/Sutliff/bulk/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=151168

Just be aware that small quantities of bulk aromatic may not be able to represent what you would get fresh from a tin. Most of my tins are more flavorful than the bulk versions. Sometimes buying half a pound will give you bulk that's as good as the tin, but not always. Unfortunately sample variation is pretty broad.

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. foolwiththefez

foolwiththefez

Login to Send PM

I'm fond of CAO Bella Vanilla.

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. gtclark

gtclark

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream Flake is the best, without reservation. However, I found Sutliff's Vanilla Custard / Mountain Pass smells and tastes just like vanilla cake for the first third of the bowl.

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. ltstone

ltstone

Login to Send PM

[quote]Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream Flake is the best, without reservation. However, I found Sutliff's Vanilla Custard / Mountain Pass smells and tastes just like vanilla cake for the first third of the bowl.

I'm interested, what do you find better about cream flake over custard? Does it have more taste?

I just got Sutliff Vanilla Royal but haven't tried yet...

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1792 has a vanilla hint to it. It's the Tonquin Bean. It's not a vanilla aromatic by any means. Of course I bring this up for the folks who just hate goopy aromatics. Vanilla taste would be subjective in the case.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 3 years ago #
  19. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I cannot believe that no one has mentioned GLP's new Virginia Cream. Everyone was going all batshit crazy over it a month or so ago.

Michael
    Posted 3 years ago #
  20. gtclark

gtclark

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm interested, what do you find better about cream flake over custard? Does it have more taste?

I've found aromatics of the same flavor differ from company to company. MacB's Vanilla Cream has a very "bright" vanilla taste to it (to me), while the Sutliff offering is softer, more buttery tasting. However, I think the tobaccos in the MacBaren tobacco are of better quality, and hold together better toward the end of the bowl.

Regarding GLP's Virginia Cream, I haven't smoked it yet...is it a vanilla aromatic? I thought the topping was a liquor of some sort.

Posted 3 years ago #
  21. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...is it a vanilla aromatic? I thought the topping was a liquor of some sort

To me, it is a vanilla cream soda flavor. It has a light topping, so it is an aromatic, but it also has some condiment leaf (perique and dark fire) that changes the aromatic effects into more of a cream soda like flavor.
    To the bystanders smelling the room note, it is just a vanilla aromatic, as I have been in the room several times as others smoke this one.

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. gtclark

gtclark

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll probably pop my tin soon...I have it in the cellar, as I heard it was a bit "young" tasting on initial release. I love cream soda, and I like most GLP blends, so it could end up dethroning Vanilla Cream Flake as the ruling vanilla aro in my house.

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

michiganlover

Login to Send PM

Second the recommendation for Arrowhead from Pauls Pipe Shop, best vanilla aro I've had hands down!!

Try 1Q as a baseline tobacco, if for the simple fact that nearly everyone has tried it.

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. blackbeard

Tyler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mac Baren Vanilla is alright. It will ghost the crap out of your pipe, also...if you're looking straight vanilla it's not the place to go. It has an almost nutty taste/aroma to it. It's room note was described to me as "a nutty squirrel turd." As long as I smoke a pipe, I will always go back to Admiral's Choice Vanilla Cavendish. It's cheap, it's right for me. The room note is fantastic, but if you are new to it, expect bite. If you want sweet without bite, go for their Black & Gold Cavendish. H&H Hall of Fame isn't too bad either.
    One more, must try aromatic, says it has vanilla but I didn't pick up on it. Ordering another tin soon as the first was good. Old Shenandoah Barrel No. 76.

Note: if PPG is Propylene Glycol or however it's spelled...I wouldn't know what has that, never concerned me.

Who is John Galt?
    Posted 3 years ago #
  25. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's room note was described to me as "a nutty squirrel turd."

Who was the first to admit smoking a squirrel turd? When I ran out of OJK, I had no other options, sooo....

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  26. blackbeard

Tyler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That must have been me. My only response after that was " the smell you're getting is nutty, and "earthy" though...I still am trying to figure out how she knew what a squirrel turd smelled like.

Posted 3 years ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

tony777

Login to Send PM

I recently liked the Cest La Vie French Vanilla brand.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   lightxmyfire, samw74, paulfg, boston, cjforshi, oldtoby, hauntedmyst, jiminks