PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fullbent

Can't Leave
May 6, 2011
Ive smoked every selection that Gatlenburlier,in Gatlinburg TN.,has.Im trying some Boswells blends now.The chocolate cream was ok.I told Mr. Boswell I wasnt worried about the smell,I wanted taste.Im talking something to win me over ,to be my go to blend.Ive found that I get bored with a blend...Any suggestions?Thanks

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
GLP Piccadilly is a nice complex blend that is not too heavy or goopey with additives . It is also hard to beat PS Proper English if your budget is tight .

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Fullbent, if I had anything like a go to blend, it would be plain old Sir Walter Raleigh, or SWR mixed 50/50 with McClellands 5100 red cake.

For me, variety is the spice of life.

I typically smoke 2-3 blends pretty regularly for a few weeks, and then slowly drift into different blends for a few weeks.

On and on, through all the blends in my cabinet.

fullbent

Can't Leave
May 6, 2011
Lonestar,

Yes I like the variety,I havent ever smoked an english.My goal is to try them all,lol.Have you decided on what tin you want?

fullbent

Can't Leave
May 6, 2011
Maybe I should wait a few days before I order and Let everyone post.I dont want to leave anything out!

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
Captain Black Royal has been my "go to" blend by default, since it is the best over-the-counter tobacco. It can bite a bit if you smoke it hot, but smoke it cool and it has a real nice flavour to it.
Try it out. It's available everywhere so you should never have a hard time getting a hold of some.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Hey Fullbent, I sent you a private message. When you look at the main forum page (showing all the new topics) scroll all the way to the right side of the page, it will say PRIVATE MESSAGES, and below that a link to click.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
If you are more of an aromatic smoker I would suggest giving W.O. Larsen Signature Vintage Mixture, Lane 1Q, Captain Black and Amphora a go.
I myself have never had a heady memorable pipe and tobacco moment while smoking aromatics unless they were Lakeland tobaccos from Gawith and such. My most memorable smokes have come from Va, Va/perique, and Latakia containing blends. There are so many "favourite" tobaccos of mine that I have a hard time naming just a few. Stick with blenders like Dunhill, Samuel Gawith, Gawith and Hoggarth, Esoterica, Solani, G.L. Pease, Cornell and Diel, Mclelland, Fribourg and Treyer, A&C Peterson, Rattrays, Peterson and Dan Tobacco and you might just find something that grabs a hold of you and will not let go. I have made many life long tobacco friends from that list. Good luck in your quest for the perfect blend. You will soon be locked in the clutches of PAD.
I'm currently in mega love with G.L. Pease Telegraph Hill, Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader and Full Virginia Flake, Fribourg and Treyer Cut Virginia Plug, Reiner Long Golden Flake, and Dan Tobacco's Hamborger Veermaster. But I couldn't smoke any of them all day long. I'm not really an all day smoker in all fairness so I just pick the blend and pipe to suit the moment.
Good luck dealing with this affliction called PAD.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm sure by now that most here are tired of me praising Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream but it is the best tasting and smelling blend I've had in a while. High quality tobacco with a cognac flavor. I've sent a couple of guys samples and they agree. Highly recommended.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I don't really have a "go to" tobacco. I'm a tobacco whore with about 50 go to's. :lol:

The recommendations of Lawrence and Phil (ohin3) resonate with me the most.
Here's an idea, visit Luxury Tobacco Reviews.com and check out the left hand column that

groups tobaccos by category: aromatic, Virginia, Burley, English etc...

It may help to organize your exploration of the options.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I'm very close to writing that review of Squadron Leader Cortez. I'm actually in the middle of a rather sublime Squadron Leader smoke while writing this.

ivan08

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2010
Try Boswell Premium Burley and Christmas cookie!! They are great! Also Dunhill London Mixture and McBaren 7 seas Gold! I like a lot that McBaren blend!

fullbent

Can't Leave
May 6, 2011
FirstHaul001.jpg

Thanks for the input guys ,I got my tobacco today :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.