Tags:  No tags yet. 

Good sub $100 briar pipes

(42 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by smokingcricket
  • Latest reply from Bill Nichols
  1. smokingcricket

smokingcricket

Login to Send PM

I'm a new smoker of less than a year.I have been smoking cobs to perfect my packing and smoking cadence.I truly thought all briars we're created equal until this morning when I smoked a pipe i bought yesterday that in my opinion is made better than my grabow which opened my eyes to how good a briar actually can smoke.Still I will not pay over 120 for a pipe.I would appreciate any suggestions on good smoking pipes south of 100 dollars.I am now looking at Rossi pipes and was wondering if anyone who has one could offer feedback.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

stflorian

Login to Send PM

Briarworks Classics line has a few great looking pipes for $90-$100. Stanwell's are good bang for the buck. Many on here are fans of Savinelli and they do make a great pipe, I'm just not a fan of the filter system. Also check out the estate market. There are a number of sponsors who sell great estate pipes for $100 or less

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There's a brand new Savinelli 305 for sale on the forum right now.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. curl

curl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like my BriarWorks bent pot. I paid about a hundred for it.
    I have a Stanwell bulldog that’s pretty good for same price.
    I have Brebbia Author that’s better than Savinelli s version...it’s for sale btw.
    I like my Savinelli natural lumberman, I paid much less than a hundred for it.
    Then I have a 2018 St Patrick’s Day bent Dublin by Peterson, same price, but still trying to figure out how to smoke it.

But I like my cobs the best, especially the Rob Roy’s.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Briar pipes, indeed all pipes are not equal. Have you considered a cleaned up estate pipe?

An estate pipe is a 'used' pipe which can be had at a fraction the cost of new.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

I’ll throw Ropp pipes into the mix. Lots of different styles and IMO smoke fantastic for their price point.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do you have any further criteria besides "sub-$100"? IF you don't mind Vulcanite, there are probably a bunch of good sub-$75
    or even sub-$50 pipes out there.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. upnorth1

upnorth1

Login to Send PM

Try the pipe locator tool at the bottom of the smokingpipes.com main page. Lots to consider there.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

>>Still I will not pay over 120

Definitely agree with stflorian -- Stanwells are definitely underappreciated & usually reasonably priced. Rossis I've heard are good, but never had one. Brebbias are also good; no need to go for the Linea series unless you can get an "A" grade for cheap.

Estate pipes don't have to be dismissed out of hand, & can offer some REALLY good deals on what would be a number of good choices even if bought new. Smokingpipes.com is an *excellent* choice, as is http://www.estatepipescentral.com, or any number of the sponsors here. Makers like GBD, Comoy's, & others may not currently be *quite* as high quality as before their acquisition by megacorps like Cadogan, et al., but for everyday smokes they're still good. The eall bennie is that places like the ones I just mentioned can be good sources for "back when they were REALLY good," GBD in particular. (If you see a GDB that has a little oval brass logo in the stem, it means it was pre-Cadogan & very good quality.)

I mentioned earlier to be wary on eBay since there are so many shady sellers. There are more than a few, though, that really stand out as 115% reliable & trustworthy. I hope I don't neglect anyone here by *not* mentioning them, but one of the very VERY best is pipestud. His rep is beyond stellar, & justly so; you can buy from him with 0 worries at all. Other good ones (no particular order): colwright; twestpipe & kahuna100 (I've had several good experiences with all 3); fory63 (in Germany; I've bought 4-5 from him); & bima1960 & pipesonrattan (both in Italy; also multiple happy buys from both).

Some sellers on ebay may look to have, er, shiny reputations as pipe sellers if you just look at their feedback, but should be approached with some caution.

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Check Blue Room Briars.. They have some nice estates up under $100. If you buy from Scott & Jessie your pipe will be very nice.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey that Savinelli is only $80 now.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. d4k23

d4k23

Login to Send PM

I have a Winslow Poker, lower end of them, that I love to smoke ($90). It has a perfect draw and smokes to the bottom of the bowl. Easy to pass a cleaner and everything.

And my most recent buy (and last for a while) was a Ropp Etudiant J11. It is a smaller pipe for my flakes that smoke longer, and the stem is more of an oval than a circular (couldn't tell by the pictures and is different than my others, but it is growing on me) but smokes like a champ. That one was just over 45 bucks.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. bannyc9

bannyc9

Login to Send PM

I will agree with much that has been written. You can find many Savinelli's at a decent price and they are great smokers. I also have a Stanwell that I absolutely love. Take a good look at some estate pipes, many sites offer them and you can usually get a great pipe at a discounted price.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. smokingcricket

smokingcricket

Login to Send PM

Oh man I didn't expect
    So many responses.This is awesome.Ok to start with no there is nothing else but the price.I would like acrylic stems as I heard they are easier to maintain.Also I need to research these dry systems as I really don't use filters although I'm looking forward to trying the new mm wood filters.As for shapebim drawn toward rounder shapes.Right now there is a savinelli that I think its the 316 that really like.They have a series called the that is drilled 3mm filter less.If those 2 line up I'll pull the trigger.You know if it gets better than smoking year old ps luxury navy flake packed with the Frank method drinking coffee and finally talking with other pipe smokers by buying a better made pipe I'll probably spend more.Also I have a mm Rob Roy I started with and it's turned really dark gold and smoked Kendall Kentucky like nobodies business.Im gonna check the pipe on here first.I will let you guys know how it goes.And I truly thank everyone of you for you time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. smokingcricket

smokingcricket

Login to Send PM

I'm on a cell so forgive my typing/spelling

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. smokingcricket

smokingcricket

Login to Send PM

Could you guys drop a few good online pipe retailers names also.Smd I'm sorry for loading the forum down with Winston's but I've been learning by trail and error and if I can avoid costly mistakes by picking your brains I hope y'all don't mind

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

casualcanuck

Login to Send PM

As a Canadian, I may be a little biased here, but there are a few lines of Brigham pipes that fall under $100, and every Brigham I have smoked smokes like a dream. Take a look at them on skokingpipes and you will see the systems, Voyageurs, Algonquins, Sportsman, Mountaineers, and Chinooks all fall in that category. Again, I may be biased.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

thefishguy

Login to Send PM

Check out Morgan bones line of pipes. Great smoking briars for around $40. Get on their email list and wait for him to restock.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. tarak

tarak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have two stanwell golden danish and a savinelli to sell- great popes, all under $100

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some companies have "seconds" products sold under a different name. Typically these are pipes that aren't up to the standard of the main company for whatever reason (perhaps a visual blemish). Often they smoke just as well but are cheaper. For example compare the Rossi 8320 to the Savinelli 320.

Seldom Seen
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The first requirement of your pipe is that it has to make your heart beat a little faster, and only you can assess that. There are hundreds of pipes in the sub-$100 price range, new and estate. I lean toward prompting new pipe smokers to new pipes, just because it makes things easier, more predictable, but that's me. I'd stick to well-known quality brands at first, new or estate, such as Savinelli, Stanwell, Nording, Butz-Choquin, Chacom, Genod. Those first three are especially dependable. Learn enough about filters so you know what you are, and are not, buying on that score. I'd stick with fishtail bits (the standard) before trying P-lip, if you do. There are quality great-smoking pipes in the fifty to seventy range too. Rossi are made by Savinelli and are just fine -- I own two -- with good smoking characteristics in many of the Sav shapes, just not as highly finished. Incidentally, I like my Dr. Grabow Royalton's (with the acrylic stems) very well. I have some beautiful up-market pipes, but I enjoy the others too, the result of careful, patient shopping. You can sometimes find terrific prices on sale.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. elguapo

elguapo

Login to Send PM

Along with all the suggestions mentioned above, I'd like to mention a couple that I really like. The Nording signature series is a great option, I have one and I smoke it more than many of my more expensive pipes. They are larger pipes, but I believe the stems only come in vulcanite.
    I really like Mario Grandi pipes, I've bought several, all new, for 40 to 80 dollars from futurepipes on ebay. They're hand made and come in shapes from traditional to wild, and they have acrylic stems. It costs $18 to ship coming directly from them in Italy, but they combine shipping if you buy 2 or 3.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Big Ben and Johs are also good brands to look at, along with many others. Johs can be a little pricier, but makes black blast pipes below $100, nice Danish briars.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. bambam

bambam

Login to Send PM

I am a huge fan of Molina Pipes they are fantastic smokers

Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.
    (Robert Kennedy)
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Stanwells, Rossi and estate pipes are the way to go.

Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  26. smokingcricket

smokingcricket

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys.Now to spend a couple day on research.I will let everyone know which way I went.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's the classic question around here -- "what's your advice on....?" It's like dropping a lit match on a pool of gasoline. -Huuuuuge laugh-

Btw, much as I like Nording (& I LOVVVE them!), I personally really prefer lucite bits. Tough, comfortable, & artsy. Smokingpipes.com has a nice selector feature you can use,& is also a fine source for new pipes as well as estates.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I remember when I first started out I thought every pipe should cost $20. I also was shocked by some of the price tags and vowed I’d never spend more than $100 on a pipe. These days I’ve upped my budget threshold to $500.

What’s been mentioned are good advice. Ropp, Rossi, Savinelli, Stanwell, Brigham are all good brands in the price range. Estates are an underrated area where you can get really good bargains on solid pipes.

Definitely check Pipes And Cigars and SmokingPipes.com. I hear 4Noggins is pretty good as well.

I’d also suggest checking out Don Warren’s Etsy shop. His Del Rio line (rusticated finish) runs around $110. It’s hard to beat a hand carved and cut stem pipe from a carver for $110. The drilling and stem work will be much more precise than a factory pipe and it’ll give you a better experience.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

franklyn22

Login to Send PM

I just bought a new Comoy's Tradition pipe and it was around $100 new. I really like it so far.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Agreed fully. I've always had a liking
    for Comoy's; in rebuilding my collection three were among the first I went for.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just to backtrack momentarily, there are many many lesser known pipes that are high quality at low prices, but there are also junkers and lesser pipes. So for starters, get something mainstream, and explore other more outlying brands over time. A good pipe can easily last a long lifetime, so you don't want to clutter your life with pipes you eventually don't use. Likewise, if you eventually are able to spend more for a pipe or pipes, a few moderately priced quality pipes will give you time to learn about pipes until you're ready to get your money's worth.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As usual, I concur with mso. Any decent B&M shop will have selections of either "barrel pipes" or manufacturer second-lines that will provide good smokes, the occasional sandpit or fill absolutely notwithstanding. As with everything of nature, there will be a few boat-anchor pipes, but they're usually easy to spot -- excessive number of size fills, poorly fitting stem, really muddy grain. The only saving grace is that they're usually dirt cheap. A good shop owner will check his shipments of barrel pipes & get rid of the worst of the worst before the customer ever sees them.

[ "Boat anchor" was the term my old Tinder Box boss Jim McCloud used whenever somebody would ask him what he thought of Kaywoodie, Grabow, etc. "Well, if you tie a rope around it & stick it in a bucket of fast-drying cement, it makes a pretty fair boat anchor." He was from Texas, what can I say? ]

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. smokingcricket

smokingcricket

Login to Send PM

Haha I like that

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

"Boat anchor"

My new word for Dunhill.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  35. echambers

echambers

Login to Send PM

+1 on Savenelli, I have several now and they all smoke great.

"There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  36. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

crappypipes.com

Not crappy at all.

Jason
    Posted 1 year ago #
  37. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I found a La Rocca, an Italian factory pipe, at my local independent shop, a tall poker with carved curlycue carving, a little homespun for me. It was $59 as I recall. I dismissed it because it was a tad down home. But it gnawed at me over two weeks, and I finally decided I'd go back, and if it was still there, I'd buy it. It's a fine smoker, light weight for its size, good big bowl, swallows burley blends and lets them go a long time. You can find individual pipes that you might not buy even if you saw them, until you think it over. Having shopped a lot of pipes and smoked quite a few, helps.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. mackeson

mackeson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Rossi, Nording, some Savinelli, Ropp....
    There are probably many more, but I've had good luck with these.
    If they were still available, I'd say an Edwards is the way to go. Sadly, I only bought one of these house brand pipes that I considered inferior (for whatever silly jaded reason at the time). It turned out to be one of my best smokers.

"Once you go down the Lakeland path, forever will it dominate your destiny."
    -Apologies to Master Yoda
    Posted 1 year ago #
  39. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As Mso says stick to name brands for the beginning and branch off from there. I started with an estate Savinelli and Peterson. The comment on the Brigham pipes is accurate too. They are great smokers and generally come cheaper.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. smokingcricket

smokingcricket

Login to Send PM

Thank you guys for you help.I will be buying few of the pipes you guys suggested.The one I bought is a rossi rubino 8320 I really like that author shape.I can't wait to load that jewel with some 1792.I have learned thru my first purchase that I will have to raise the amount to spend on a pipe on occasion.I say this because while looking I found stanwell Hans c. Anderson pipe that blew me away.It is bent Dublin that comes with a church warden stem.Its around 180 I think.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. smokingcricket

smokingcricket

Login to Send PM

I sent that by accident this is the rest of the post.Anyway I justified the price to my live in banker by telling her it is like getting 2 pipes in one.It is beautiful.I see that it's going to be tough deciding which month to buy tobacco or a pipe.I will send pics when I get the pipes.Again thank you all.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Our pleasure, always (hoping it's not too presumptuous to speak for everyone, longer-timers especially). It's like asking people to show you pics of their kids -- favorite subject, in particular if you've spent time behind the counter!

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   elasmo, alaskanpiper, jfred, jiminks, jojoc, chasingembers, craig61a, donjgiles, mindglue, jabomano, oldgeezersmoker, mikethompson, greeneyes