Tags:  No tags yet. 

Good pipe store in Northern VA

(13 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by music4cash
  • Latest reply from khartman
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

music4cash

Login to Send PM

Any one know a good B&M place in Northern VA? there are none listed in the store finder, and all the shops I've been in seem to cater to Hookahs, cigarette, cigars and pot smokers...I was actually asked not to smoke my pipe in one store, even though they allowed people to smoke hookahs...Thanks

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

sthbkr77

Login to Send PM

Drapers in DC has a decent selection. I could offer some recommendations for MD as well but I'm not much help for NoVa.

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. brudnod

Spencer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

http://www.hayestobacconist.com/
    Hayes Tobacconist is in Fair Oaks Mall right off of Interstate 66.
    Nice folks, good selection of pipe tobacco.
    Last time I was there they were planning to open a smoking room but don't know if that has materialized yet.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

music4cash

Login to Send PM

Thanks Spencer, I'm in Chantilly so I will check that place out today!

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. python

Bob

Would Smoke Rabbits if He Could Keep them Lit

Login to Send PM

You could also try Old Virginia Tobacco Company.
    They have a location in Bull Run Plaza that is close to Chantilly.

"When the Government Fears the People, There is Liberty;
    When the People Fear the Government, There is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

music4cash

Login to Send PM

I'll check those guys out as well...do they allow pipe smoking in the cigar lounge? I'm really getting tired of smoking in my car...

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. calabashed

calabashed

Login to Send PM

John B Hayes is great, the Winchester location is larger and has a smoking area. Also a bit farther but in the general region are Faders of Annapolis and Baltimore, and Boswell's up in Chambersburg PA.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. bcharles123

bcharles123

Login to Send PM

Old Virginia Tobacco Co (OVTC) has several locations in Northern Va. They all or most have lounges. I think most have a decent selection of pipes and tobaccos. I don't live there but I'm there for business often. I mostly go to the one in Kingstown.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. seadogontheland

seadogontheland

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hayes is superior...excellent selection of tinned tobacco...great staff and very polite. Old Va. Is ok...lots of locations more cigars than pipes...their tobacco selection is ok too. Staff inteactions are hit and miss...I cut my teeth in the store which is no longer in the springfield mall when I first started smoking cigars and later pipes about 25 years ago. There is also Georgetown tobacco at the Tyson's corner mall and jrs in DC.

Life is good...I have truly been blessed.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  10. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

JB Hayes in Fair Oaks is excellent,but unfortunately you can no longer smoke in the store. Their new store location has not yet materialized. If you stop today, tell King (works there part time) that Al said hello, he's a great guy as is the owner, John Hayes.

Al

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. brass

brass

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I stopped in at JB Hayes a couple of months ago on Al's recommendation. Good selection of premium blends and much better than average choice of pipes. Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Drapers is one of the area's best tobacconists but pipe smokers should check out JB Hayes.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. brudnod

Spencer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 on King at JB Hayes. Very knowledgeable. Unlike Al, I doubt he knows me from Adam so don't say "Hi"...

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. khartman

khartman

Login to Send PM

I like both JB and Old VA. Went to JB awhile back (haven't been on the forum for sometime) and they were extremely helpful. Let me step out and try a couple different blends, also picked up a nice basket pipe. I live in Woodbridge and used to go to Old VA weekly to sit and talk with the cigar smokers (I think of all the times I went I met one pipe). Had a whirlwind of events in the last 7 months (including a move to a new home) and now just getting my collection out and figuring where to put them. I've also gone to the Old VA in Kingstown during their Peterson Pipe Sale, super helpful and gracious with trying new tobacco.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jojoc, jdhowe75, laniromee, alaskanpiper, ray47, supdog, railman, oldgeezersmoker, donjgiles, cachimbero, ben88, olkofri