PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
So some LBF flake was ordered , got stopped by customs and bill sent for $150 in taxes for 8oz .Informed the if did not pay the credit card would be charged regardless. So when left with no other choice the extra $150 was paid ... what arrived was just over 4oz of tobacco ... now i assume they wanted to test some as it was a bulk purchase and i can even unstand that ... not almost 4oz tho talk about being ripped off left right and centre ... good on ya customs keep up the good work!!!!!!

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
That is a raw deal! How come customs has your credit card details anyway?
Here if they pickup a package of baccy they will send you a letter asking you to pay, or the package will be returned to sender. Most pipe smokers here let it get returned to sender and repay the shipping and it usually makes it through the second time. Though I have never had a package retained for duty, despite having a few officially opened by customs for inspection. There must be some sympathetic customs officers :)

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
Youpost was used ... its slightly more expensive but you have tracking from the states to your door ... credit card details are with them .... customs charges youpost and youpost charges your card , and the order was with pipes and cigars, dont blame them at all. I am sure everyone is aware that there are taxes involved and i know with every order i place it might get stopped at customs and they may want a small fortune in tax ... however would be nice to actually end up getting what you pay for ... never had problems with tins tho .. may have to just stick to those in the future.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I've never shipped with Youpost, just the cheapest USPS, takes forever, though I've haven't been dinged in my 6 or 7 online orders thus far.

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
to be fair most orders come through with no hassle. Its just super annoying that they force you to pay and then you dont get what ya paid for . We have orders every 2 weeks between a couple of us to try get stocks up and diff tobaccoes ... slight change of plan may be in order lol .. you post for pipes so i can track n trace and usps for baccy

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Wow. That's just a total facepalm fail right there. Are you able to grow your own for your own comsumption?

ffmurray

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2013
I think in most countries you can grow for your own use, except places like Bhutan

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I only order from retailers that don't specify anything about tobacco in the name of the company and they go through no problem. 4 noggins, cup o joes, etc... Cup o joes actually just uses a woman's name and that it's a gift. It seems like most people at least in Canada that get dinged are ordering from places that have names with pipe or tobacco in the company name. My last shipment was about 3 and a half pounds and was in customs at 8:19 am and then cleared at 8:23 so I knew that it had made it through no problem.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Please remember that Pipesmagazine.com does not condone the avoidance of taxation on tobacco products, nor the circumventing of Customs...
Just thought I would remind everyone.

:puffy:

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I have contemplated growing my own but the initial cost and set up really isn't worth it. We had small 'tester' fields of tobacco on the farm when I was growing up to see if we were able to grow it on our land but it didn't meet tobacco company standards for some reason so we never grew it again.
I worked on tobacco farms when I was younger and the farmer would let me take a couple leaves of chew baccy home with me once it was dried. It wasn't bad unaltered but a pouch of RedMan beats home leaf any day ;)

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have had to send multiple packeges back to customs to be reassessed due to being charged unfair prices. The latest example was when I purchased a pipe and some tobacco on the side. They charged me for the total shipping weight, rather than just the tobacco. It took about 3 weeks to get everything straightened out, but in the end, they removed over $300 in taxes from my bill. I still ended up paying about $200 though :(
If this happens again, just retun to customs to reassess. They will always make adjustment to fix their mistakes, you will just need to be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.