Good News, Bad News

(29 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by hoosierpipeguy
  • Latest reply from hoosierpipeguy
  1. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good news. It was an excellent smoking day. Started out with some 10 year old 5100, then some 5 year old SG BBF, Penzance next, then Stonehaven and after cleansing the palate, some SG St James Flake. All were excellent but I have to say the Penzance was off the charts. There are some other blends with similar flavors but the Penzance seems to deliver it in a creamy envelope. I swear there was a pleasant after taste 15 minutes later.

The bad news. I smoked the Penzance in a new Moretti that had 3 bowls smoked previously. I'm a moron. I wasn't paying enough attention and puffed a glorious pit of good size inside the bowl. The pit is at lay 1/8" deep and almost 1/4" across, I assume I ruined the pipe. Lesson learned, at least it wasn't a $500 Castello. I still feel like an idiot.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Take everything as a learning experience I always say. Any pictures of the damage? I've seen pipes that looked lost forever, but repaired to as-new condition by some members here.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It really depends on the pit, sometimes there are natural pits that open up after smoking. A little cigar ash mixed with spit used to morter over the pit, and it should be fine.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

'Pipe mud' to the rescue, depending on how bad the pit is

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When Skip Elliot finds or suspects a pit in the bowl while making a pipe, he tosses them in the garbage. This is when I pocket the stummels, fill the pit with mud, make a stem for them, and smoke the hell out of them. It's about the only way I can get a pipe from him, as he sells them for thousands, and they sell as soon as he puts them in the case. Seriously, he waited to his pipe show this weekend to display his newest 12 pipes, and I got there 15 minutes after the show started and ALL of them had sold by the time I got there, so I didn't even get a chance to see them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Through no thought or planning, I've avoided this problem by having too many pipes, and feeling obligated to get them all smoked in rotation, so if I had had such a morning of bowl-after-bowl smoking, I would have smoked a bowl in the new pipe, and then moved on to several others in sequence. That's the upside of pipe acquisition disorder. Just feel guilty about neglecting any of your beauties.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. admiral

admiral

Login to Send PM

I think he meant that total of 3 bowls smoked, not like 3 in a row

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Correct. I had smoked 3 bowls in the pipe prior to yesterday. It would be vey rare for me to smoke the same pipe twice per day, especially a newer one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. indianafrank

indianafrank

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well that Sucks!

I don't know where I'm going...but sooner or later I'll get there.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Don't most companies accept returns on premature burn-outs? At least for replacement?
    Sounds like the flaw was just below the surface, and anybody would have burned it out.
    It's never happened to me, so I have no idea on how to proceed.

Would this be the company? http://www.pipemoretti.com

Pipe Moretti • Vicolo dell'Olmo, 7, 62019 Recanati (MC) • Tel. 0717570063 • IT01125610434 • info@pipemoretti.onmicrosoft.com

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. gkr1

gkr1

Login to Send PM

I always read about this issue, but I do not know how that could happen? Is the damage at the bottom of the bowl, it has never happened to me and I have been smoking for 10 years plus so if you have more info how to avoid this please share guys.

Thanks

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

If that's the right company, I'd just put it in a box and send it with a request for replacement. Can't hurt to ask.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can you get a decent picture of the damage? It'd be interesting to a lot of us, and may help if you choose to contact the seller via e-mail. (Just sending the pipe back is more than a little risky)

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think it was my fault for getting relatively virgin Briar too hot. I've broken in well over 100 pipes in my life and never had it happen. But I did let this one get very hot. I've gotten 9 pipes from Marco and he has always been great to deal with. It could have been the pipe but it could have been me. I'm not taking money out of his hard working hands because I was negligent for a few minutes. Just the way I roll.

I will take s picture and figure out where to host it so I can upload it here. I'll also send it to the carver to get his opinion. But I'll tell him I got the pipe very, very hot. If he wants to make me another at a discount, that's great. If not, I'll still buy his pipes. I've bought them new at very good prices and they smoke great.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I will take s picture and figure out where to host it so I can upload it here

Just upload here to your forum album, too easy. I would be interested in seeing the pics as well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can't see how you could get the pipe hot enough, long enough to burn a pit like that. Char? Yes. Actual hole? No. This was a pre-existing condition.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can you post that bowl photo a lot larger?

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow! Thank you guys, I would have just let this go to being my fault. I just sent the photo to Marco 5 minutes ago and asked him for his opinion. I already got the response below. Talk about Customer Service!

Hello Mark, my friend
    Thank you so much for your message and for reporting me about this my friend: what you say my friend is perfectly right, and this is the result of a sandpit under the surface of the bowl. The sandpit was between the walls of the pipe and the heath opened a crack on the pipe, but you don’t have to be worried about this my friend: I will include an extra pipe as replacement to this one inside the box of your next Moretti. Let me know what do you think about this my friend, I’m here at your disposal for all
    Ciao, your friend
    Marco

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

Sounds like a winner to me!

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The sandpit was between the walls of the pipe and the heath opened a crack on the pipe, but you don’t have to be worried about this my friend: I will include an extra pipe as replacement to this one inside the box of your next Moretti.
    Fair enough

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, That's a customer service on the highest level.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I could easily see Mark getting that bowl so hot it would crack in half. I have seen him smoke a pipe, he normally has to hold his pipe with an oven mitt as third degree burns would happen without it.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  26. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Amazing customer service.

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I could easily see Mark getting that bowl so hot it would crack in half. I have seen him smoke a pipe, he normally has to hold his pipe with an oven mitt as third degree burns would happen without it.

Harris

Hello Pot.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Chamber here, what is your point?

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Marco made good on his promise. The poker is another one I bought from him. The brown blast is the replacement for the one that burnt out. Very similar to the burn out, bigger with thicker walls. I guess he wants to make sure with me. LOL

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   shayde