PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalshave

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
A few days ago I posted about taste issues with taking up the pipe (thanks for all the suggestions)
Ironically; I am currently continuing my nursing education,I was sitting in Anatomy class listening to the instructor lecture about how the body interprets taste. He stated that in order for the brain to react to the taste/smell(since they work together) they must be in solution and the level of taste experienced is proportional to the amount of saliva in your mouth. (More spit,more taste)
I normally do not drink anything while attempting to enjoy my pipe, but based on this lecture I decided to add a drink. Although it was only knock off Mt. Dew I have to say that I did experience more tobacco taste than previous attemps, but not much of any flavorings.
Oh well I guess I will have to conduct more research :puffpipe: ...just thought it was an interesting point to pass along.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
my taste and smell seem ok, i think. just wish i could say the same for my brain, its been giving me a hard way to go the past ten years or so. and then again, it may be just a bad case of dumb ass.......

oh, btw, i greatly admire anyone in the medical community, even the people who clean the urinals.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Lawrence, you trying to kill him? That stuff kills thousands of people each year. I know the Navy had lots of problems with it, and had to train new sailors in how to properly operate around it, since it is so prevalent on ships.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
True it is a highly corrosive liquid...

Sometimes fatal if inhaled...

But, absolutely marvelous when mixed with Scotch. :D
Wonderful water.

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
I do have a problem occassionally while smoking. I tend to produce extra saliva and if my pipe goes out while I am working on a project, the saliva seems to find it's way into and down the bit. I then have to stop and run a cleaner to get rid of the dreaded gurgle.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I drink sparkling water, or the flavored ones--Lime or lemon, or ice tea. For some reason soda with all the sugars and stuff seems to make my tobacco taste different

thekiltedchaplain

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2011
It is interesting. I've noticed that its a lot like food and wine. Different foods bring out different flavors in wine and vise versa. I've found some favorite drink/tobacco combinations, but tend to enjoy sweet tea. I find most sodas to be too sweet. I like the idea of a fizzy water though sjpipesmoker, I'll have to give it a try. Sigh, I guess we'll all just have to continue smoking in the name of research. Its a heavy burden.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Its a heavy burden.
It is indeed. But those of us who have chosen to shoulder that burden do so with pride, knowing that we are doing our part to help future generations escape the clutches of the dreaded "Nanny State". :puffpipe:

thekiltedchaplain

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2011
I've always thought that a Scottie or Schnauzer would look good with a pipe. I've tried to get my wee Schnauzer to pick up the habit, but its proving to be a difficult endeavor.

jankomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2010
Tampa, FL
Penn and Teller did an episode of Bullshit! on water. They got people to sign petitions saying they wanted to ban the use of dihydrogen-monoxide. They got a LOT of people to sign it. It was funny to watch.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I bet not one of them was a pipe smoker.
It never ceases to amaze me how many non-pipe-smokers are complete idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.