PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Lawrence! Good luck in today's slow-smoke competition! I can't be there in body rootin' for you, but I'm rootin' for you in spirit! Let us know how you do!
-Jason

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Who doesn't like a good slow smoke competition? Can't wait to hear about it, good luck!

mikethepipe

Might Stick Around
Jan 19, 2011
Yes, Good luck Lawrence....Mike
Hi Lordnoble too, Did you know m'lord that your ava'pic is Jeremy Brett, a brilliant English actor who passed on sadly too early , yours Mike.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Mike, I did! I LOVE Brett's portrayal of Holmes, and in my mind he IS my Sherlock. When I read the stories, I picture Brett's version of Holmes speaking. Thanks!
-Jason

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
Good luck, Lawrence. One day I'll make the trek down south and show up at your door, hat in hand, asking for an intense schooling in the art of the slow smoke from you.
Simon

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hi Guys!

Thanks for all the good wishes...

:crying:

That means a lot.
Well.... :worship: Raymond won... oh well... He's just tough.
The whole day was a bit of an odd day at The Briary.

I came in third as I did last year.

I had a real shot this year.

At the 42 minute mark I was only 1/3 the way through my bowl when... my pipe gurgled and I felt a little pop inside the bowl...

The pop was apparently the production of a little puff of steam...

And it instantly snuffed out my ember. :crying:

The second place came in just a few moments later... the same thing happened to him.

It was amazing how fast our pipes went out... he was 3/4 the way through his bowl.
When all of the above happened Raymond was about 1/2 the way through his bowl...
Congratulations to Raymond :clap: ... again.

His time 1 hour 22 minutes 23 seconds. :clap:

Here is a side note to the competition...

Us "old codgers" were out numbered in this years "Slow Smoke".

I was heartened for the future of pipe smoking by the following.

There was a contingent of Music Majors from the University of Samford.

A young professor of Music Theory (from Samford) and a one student from UAB. The professor (Matt) was the oldest of the "young contingent", I believe he was under 30.

One was a young lady.. Miss Orange. Bless her heart she was out before we got underway... Her pipe wouldn't light... took her three matches... :( but she did go about 20 minutes when she did get it lit. We were also entertained by one of the Music students with guitar music (really very talented), and a lot of "musician jokes" as well.
The guitarist, Miss Orange, and Raymond's knees, a little while before the competition.

More photos to come...

DSC00386.jpg

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Apparently, I read that the slowsmoke was today... oops! Anyway, I'm glad you do any worse than last year...
-Jason

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
That's the first time I have had that kind of problem.

I was in it for the long haul, and suddenly I was out.

I have to try again next year... the very definition of frustration. :evil:

But, I'm a pipe smoker... and exemplify the epitome of patience. :D

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I find it odd the you and the second place person had the same demise. It is great that you came in 3rd, a fine job indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.