PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Anybody know a blend that has a good lat base but also a good nic hit? Nightcap is supposed to be stronger but I find that to be mild-medium.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Most English is going to be med-mild because of the tobaccos used. If you found Nightcap to be lacking I got nothing, that's the first one that pops to mind.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Billy Budd and Pirate Kake +1 (well 2. heh)
Also one of the Capt Earle blends... 10 Russians I think, is supposed to have mega nic.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
+1 Billy Budd
but I don't consider it a lat-bomb/lat forward blend so I guess it depends on what you mean by "good lat base". It has a good depth of flavor, but some of that comes from the cigar leaf vs. pure latakia.
Other option might be to cut one of the Lat blends you like with some higher nicotine twists or ropes. Start with a little and increase as needed until you find that sweet spot you are looking for.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Beast you gave me another idea. Make Billy Budd the base and add latakia AND some rope or twist. That ought to kick your ass pretty well.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
Yea, that would do it. Be sure to be sitting down when smoking it and probably clear your schedule for the rest of the afternoon.(or next couple days) :)

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
+1 on the London Blend 1000. 4noggins and Mars cigars have it for $19 right now (100g cans).

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I made some up after posting the idea. I am sitting and smoking and have a buzz going almost like some other stuff I used to smoke. 8O 8O
Eric that's a damn good price compared to P&C.
img_0071-600x400.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think mcitinner1 has the answer, a good home mix. I'd play around with proportions in a cereal size bowl, one pipe bowl at a time, until you get the right proportions. The rope ought to set you up with whatever level nic kick you want. As you likely know, brown rope is the strongest nicotine, but black is a healthy boot. I'd go gradually so as not to have a bad experience. You may be impermeable, but who wants to throw up? Eat a substantial meal first, and drink enough water, and I hope all this is silly and unnecessary. Good luck finding just the right mix.
Cute dogs in the avatar, little terriers; they will supervise you carefully through your mixing.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Nightcap didn't do it for you? Maybe a bigger pipe
+10 CosmicFolkLore. I would also be interested in if you are smoking on an empty stomach or not and how slowly you smoke a pipe.
j/B

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
10 Russians is a good place to start. C&D's is Billy Budd is a good one too, as is Mountain Camp. Keep in mind though Billy Budd has a signficant amount of cigar leaf in it, so if that's not something you're looking for you might want to avoid it. I'm a big fan of all the blends I listed. As a matter of fact, I think I'll smoke a bowl of each of these tonight. Woohoo

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I also get a decent dose of nic from Peterson's Balkan Delight. Don't know how it compares to Nightcap. That's one of the few Dunhill blends that hasn't yet made it into my pipe. Soon.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
GL Pease's Latakia blends tend to have more nic than equivalent blends, so Abington, Gaslight and Odyssey might suit you. Of the C&D's, Bow Legged Bear and Da Vinci hit me harder than their other heavy Lats.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.