PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I tried H&G Bob's Chocolate Flake over the weekend, and after several bowls, was pleasantly surprised to find that I liked this mild aromatic. The chocolate flavor is mostly in the the tin note. I was looking for a flake seasoned with Latakia and Richard at 4noggins asked if I had tried BCF. Actually, I had, but it was after I had consumed a Romeo&Juliet cigar that evening, a bowl of S&G Navy Flake and several Rob Roys made with Johnny Walker Blue. I only recalled that the BCF was mild and unoffensive.
I gave it a fresh start over the weekend and have to say that it is a perfectly understated blend. The casings are barely detectable, haunting the background like music that you know you know but just can't quite identify. The Latakia was properly proportionate, being a welcome touch of seasoning in contrast to many Lat bombs that lather on the Latakia like the cracked corns on a pepper encrusted chicken breast.
Reading up on the blend, I was surprised that it was a Lakeland. I didn't detect the oft-reported soapiness or perfuminess associated with blends from the Lakeland regions nor was it overpowering. If anything, I would say this is a subtle blend, especially when considering the style.
I may try one or two more LakeLandds over the holidays. What would you recommend? Also, I'm still looking for VaLat flakes, ropes, cakes where the Lat, like a well disciplined child, stays quietly in the background.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
G&H make a wide selection of scented blends. From Ennerdale, Broken Flake #7, and Grasmere (lighter more Va based) through Brown Flake scented and Kendal Flake (medium strength, to Bosun Cut Plug, Coniston Cut Plug, and Dark Flake Scented (the stouter "big boy" blends imho)-- all are good and of very high quality leaf. The toppings are pretty obvious in most of these, but they are delicious to those of us who are Lakeland fans.
Choose a few to try and remember, they will leave a pretty righteous "ghost" in your pipe. A cob or two might be a smart way to see if you want to go down this road.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
I like Lakeland and am not afraid to admit it. Not an everyday, but maybe once a week or so. I just finished G&H Bosun and thought it was lighter than brown scented. I like the, both.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
At one time, Russ blended a tasty Lakeland Brickle. I've checked the P&C website but don't see it.

dawnpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2013
Peterson Hyde Park... ignore the tin description, unless you are just using it as a potpourri. The tin description describes the tin note, that's it. Otherwise it is a straightup lakeland blend. Honestly I did not taste any tobacco, just flowers, or soap. Not saying I don't like it, it just tastes nothing like the tin description, or tin note.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Well, my TAD is at full burn, thanks to you guys. Exploring pipe tobaccos is every bit as fun as trying out cigars. More so, in fact, since the buck goes farther.
I'm trying some extreme stuff here and don't expect to like all of it. In fact, from the tin descriptions I suspect that I'll hate some of them. BUT,you can't call yourself an informed connoisseur if you don't actually try the blends that are available. If it turns out I can't stand some of these blends, I'll offer them up to those who participated in this thread.
Bob's Chocolate Flake (#005-001-0010): 1

Options: 8oz

Item Total: $27.82
Quiet Nights 8oz (#003-029-0070): 1

Item Total: $32.05
Ennerdale 50g (#003-069-0006): 1

Item Total: $8.44
Balkan Sasieni 50g (#003-006-0001): 1

Item Total: $7.26
Mayor's Chocolate Flake 50g (#003-059-0017): 1 Item Total: $9.33
Wintertime 50g (#003-059-0060): 1

Item Total: $9.33
Grasmere Flake (#005-001-0061): 1

Options: 2oz

Item Total: $8.61
Brown Irish X Unsliced (#005-001-0040): 1

Options: 1oz

Item Total: $5.14
Rubber Pipe Bit (2 pack) (#001-545-0001): 1 Item Total: $0.99
Flake 50g (#003-021-0006): 1

Item Total: $10.88
Black Irish X (#005-001-0005): 1

Options: 1oz

Item Total: $5.14
====================
Subtotal: $124.99

Shipping (Ground): $0.00

Total: $124.99

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Good job Brass. I like that Grasemere.
Gawith & Hoggarth Rum Flake is in my top five if you are looking for another Lakeland.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Ennerdale! I hope ya like blowing bubbles with your pipe! Whatever you do just make sure you dedicate one pipe to it... whatever it is (Ivory soap)? Tried it once and NEVER again. But hey... you just might like it as some seem to love it. :wink:

Oct 12, 2014
Thats a nice list! Add some more G&H Ropes to your next order..very slight Lakeland which you'll be able to pick out after smoking those on your list above. Ennerdale... Yummy. If thats not to your liking I'd gladly take it. :)
PS: Only 1oz of the ropes? You need 500g packs for a real taste test! :)

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I would compare your blends while ordering with reviews from www.tobaccoreviews.com there are so many reviews on so many tobacco's and you can add your own reviews after a simple sign up process.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Thanks all. If there is any value, intelligence or signs of discriminating tastes in my order, I owe it to all you.
Phil, exploring pipe tobaccos is like a float trip down a wild river. Some blends are like the slow, winding quite stretches that prompt contemplation; other blends are more like class 3 and 4 rapids - exciting and beautiful and challenging but not particularly treacherous. Ennerdale may be more like a class 5 - more than I can handle.
But the beauty is in the exploration. I want to travel the whole river, so I'm willing to try some blends that I know full well that might test my endurance, like some Virginias. But afterwards, I can talk first hand about my adventures, rather than just watching a travel show.
Melvin, while I want to travel the whole river, I do start my dipping in my toe. That's why I usually start with one or two ounces, preferably a tin if available. If I like it, I can always order more. (I like to collect the tins for the same reasons I collect cigar bands: mementos. Besides, they make great fly boxes) :D
And, yes, if Ennerdale stinks as bad as many report, then I'll send you the remains for proper disposal. But I have learned not to judge these matters too quickly. My first encounter with Bob's Chocolate was Meh!. But I pushed on and tried it the next day. I really began to really dig it. (Showing my age). Similarly, last month, I really was put off by my first few bowls of Pirate Kake but found it quite enjoyable when I went back to it last night.
It could be Pirate got better after resting for a month. Or maybe Latakia is growing on me. (Is so, should I see a doctor or a tree surgeon to have the plants removed?) :roll:
Toby, I love tobaccoreviews.com. I almost always read the reviews before ordering blends and frequently will smoke the first bowl of a new blend while reading the opinions of other smokers who frequent the site. I put slightly more weight on the recommendations of pipemagazine members. It is just more personal and exchanging notes is a big part of the fun for me.
Speaking of exchanging opinions, Sallow, my old Tobacco Crawler friend, thanks for the recommendation. Maybe we can start a new crawl featuring Lakelands on the menu. If interested, I'll contact the other crawlers. We really only need 2 or 3 participants to make it worthwhile.
Pax

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Well, I tried a few new blends over the holidays. I found Ennerdale tolerable but don't see it going in my rotation. My understanding from other posts is that Grasmere would be similar but I found it intolerable. I made it through a bow in one of my favorite cobs and now I understand what everyone means by ghosting. I'll have to get a couple of Eatons before trying other Lakelands. Bob's Chocolate is still my favorite Lakeland.
While not a Lakeland, a generous member sent me a couple of bowls of Stonehaven and I can understand why this blend has so many dedicated followers.

Oct 12, 2014
"I found Ennerdale tolerable but don't see it going in my rotation."
Stick with it..these are certainly an "acquired taste" one I initially didn't care for. Years later however, I prefer them. Like Scotch, not so much at first but now.. :)

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I'll second the Peterson Hyde Park suggestion. Excellent blend which has found a place in my cellar.
For those looking for Russ O's Lakeland Brickle, it's sold as H&H Lakeland Brickle Fortissimo and it is excellent. I need to order more.
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.