Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

invoxx

Lurker
Aug 21, 2018
Ireland/Russia
Hello everyone :)
My name is Alex, I am Russian but I live in Cork, Ireland for quite a few years already.
I started smoking cigarettes a long time ago, and for more than 6 years I am trying to get away from this. I tried electronic cigarettes for a few years, then I switched to cigars. Cigars actually helped me a lot with going away from mindless smoking into enjoying it.
But for a long long time I was thinking about a pipe. My great-grandfather was a huge pipe smoker, and all my family remembers the amazing smell of his pipe.
I still don't have any pipe, trying to understand what should I buy as the first one, as I've read to much different stuff in the internet, so I am pipeless atm :)
But when I found this place and saw how friendly people here are, I immediately registered here.
So it is really nice to meet you all, and I will be looking for all your professional help in getting into pipe smoking :)

invoxx

Lurker
Aug 21, 2018
Ireland/Russia
Thank you sir!
I am currently reading through the forum, trying to get all the info I can, and I am still a bit confused on which pipe should be the first one :) I am looking more into briar ones as I love their look aesthetically.
I am also trying not to break the budget too much, so I am trying to find where to buy and what is the price that means that the pipe is decent. Where I live there are not a lot of places where I can find a pipe, so I am looking for UK based onine shops for this matter.
Would be really grateful for any advice :D

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Generally speaking an estate pipe is a good idea if you are set on a briar pipe. You get more bang for your buck with a properly maintained estate (used) pipe. Many will chime in here that a cob is your best bet for your first pipe.
Your first priority should be getting your packing/breathing method down pat. Once you've figured that out you can truly enjoy your pipe and tobacco.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Welcome Alex. This is a great group of pipers...always helpful, friendly and often funny.

invoxx

Lurker
Aug 21, 2018
Ireland/Russia
That sounds really good, thank you! Looking for a place that sells estate pipes online in UK/Ireland. Any price advice? Like, don't look at smth below X amount and no point going above Y amount for the first pipe?
Also, if there are people here from UK/Ireland selling their pipes, I will definitely consider that :D
@scloyd Hello sir! Thank you for the warm welcome!

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Price point is up to you of course, but cobs are under $10 and are great starters. You should be able to get a solid pipe at any price point if you look around. There are plenty of UK members on here that can certainly point you in the right direction.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
Welcome! I am also a new pipe smoker, and when I was deciding on my first pipe I searched through online retailers and just chose the one that appealed to me the most at a price I was willing to pay. It was a briar that I purchased through SmokingPipes and is still my favorite out of the four pipes I now own. My first tobaccos were all English blends, which is often recommended for beginners.
I enjoy the whiskeys that are made by West Cork Distillers.

invoxx

Lurker
Aug 21, 2018
Ireland/Russia
@civilwar @techie Hello gentlemen, nice to meet you!

I am more into Bushmills though regarding whiskey :)
@mikethompson Thank you! I think I am still looking at the briar ones, as I love the looks :) Way too important for me, though I totally understand why a lot of people suggest going for the cobs.
I would really appreciate UK/Irish members to point me in the right direction for the online pipe shopping :)

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
So it is really nice to meet you all, and I will be looking for all your professional help

Welcome aboard. A lot of us here are looking for professional help and some of us aren't but should. :crazy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome, Alex. (Your English is superb, btw) . You are only three hours from a jackpot: Peterson's retail store in Dublin. When there a few years ago, I got two very nice briars, under $60 each. Since aesthetics are important to you, you'll get to see and handle dozens or hundreds of pipes, some at a discount.
At the same time, antique shops and thrift shops in Cork may hold some gems.

invoxx

Lurker
Aug 21, 2018
Ireland/Russia
Thank you Timt!
One question, that might be totally stupid - is it worth even looking in the direction of that type of purchases, or they are not worth a dime?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XRZ685J/ref=psdc_334752011_t1_B007RA8HVK
Thank you!

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Generally speaking an estate pipe is a good idea if you are set on a briar pipe. You get more bang for your buck with a properly maintained estate (used) pipe. Many will chime in here that a cob is your best bet for your first pipe.

Your first priority should be getting your packing/breathing method down pat. Once you've figured that out you can truly enjoy your pipe and tobacco.
I would say it's a good idea to buy a briar estate pipe or two, as well as some cobs. Cobs are cheap, and are a good way to round out your collection when first starting. It is important to have several pipes so you can let them "rest" sufficiently between smokes so the accumulated moisture in the pipe has a chance to evaporate. I always give my briars at least 48 hours of rest before smoking again, and often a longer rest than that. If it turns out that you strongly prefer briar / don't like cobs, then you can just replace cobs with more expensive briars as you go.
Regarding estate pipe pricing, I got my favorite estate pipe for about $20, and my least favorite one for about $80. However, I will say that in my experience (and I think many others will agree) Savinelli pipes are a great value, and you should be able to find good condition Savinelli estate pipes under $50. I have one that I got for $40 in excellent condition and it's one of my favorite pipes.
Also, I will say that as an experienced smoker, you might want to skip the aromatics that newbies often start with. They often don't burn as well, and they often smell better than they taste. No hate :puffy: I smoke aromatic tobaccos on occasion and enjoy them, and it's easier to get flavor out of them if you're a more experienced pipe smoker who can pack and smoke a pipe so that it burns at the lowest possible temperature and doesn't overheat or get goopy.
Anyhow, I hope that the above is helpful, and I hope you find pipe smoking as enjoyable as we all do.

invoxx

Lurker
Aug 21, 2018
Ireland/Russia
Hey @jpmcwjr,
Thank you so much for the welcome and for the information! I will definitely look at that variant!

As for Cork, I found some in Carrolls Gift shops, and they actually sell Peterson pipes :)
https://www.carrollsirishgifts.com/irish-gifts-and-souvenirs/smoking-accessories/tobacco-pipes.html

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
No. Don't go there. Ebay.uk has hundreds of estate pipes. But if I were you, I would buy a new Peterson, since they are irish. They have some affordable pipes, and if you stick to a straight pipe, the risk of bad drilling is very low.

I started with some estates, and I didn't know what to look for, so most of them I don't like anymore, for various reasons.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Thank you Timt!

One question, that might be totally stupid - is it worth even looking in the direction of that type of purchases, or they are not worth a dime?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XRZ685J/ref=psdc_334752011_t1_B007RA8HVK

Thank you!
Not worth a dime to most of us :puffy: That's pear wood. With very few exceptions, all good wooden pipes are made of briar. However, being made of briar will not necessarily mean it's likely to be a good pipe.
For a good briar pipe on a budget, look at "estate" (used) pipes from Savinelli, Peterson, and Stanwell. I have several Savinellis and really like them. They all smoke well.

invoxx

Lurker
Aug 21, 2018
Ireland/Russia
Greetings lawdawg!
That is definitely really helpful!
I hear about cobs so much that I start actually considering trying them out :D Is that true that they usually last one pack of tobacco and then you replace them? So they are like disposable or something? :)

invoxx

Lurker
Aug 21, 2018
Ireland/Russia
Hey there workman!
Thank you so much, I am really considering Peterson now, I can get them without even going to Dublin for about 70 Euro, with is pretty good as I think :)

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Greetings lawdawg!

That is definitely really helpful!

I hear about cobs so much that I start actually considering trying them out Is that true that they usually last one pack of tobacco and then you replace them? So they are like disposable or something?
My oldest cob is from about 7 or 8 years ago when I first started smoking pipes. I've probably smoked it hundreds of times, and still smoke it. I did have one cob burn out from smoking too hot when I first started, but generally they last a long time. They will get ugly cracks in the exterior, but it doesn't affect how they smoke. I just fill those cracks with pipe mud (a thick mixture of pipe or cigar ash and water) anyhow. I like briars better for most tobaccos, but for some I find a cob preferable (aromatics and burley blends)
EDIT:
if you stick to a straight pipe, the risk of bad drilling is very low.
+1
Excellent advice. "Bent" pipes (pipes with significantly curved stems) are a lot more likely to be mediocre / poorly drilled, resulting in a pipe that smokes wet and gurgles. I avoid purchasing bent pipes without seeing them in person and looking at the drilling.

Status
Not open for further replies.