PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
I am looking for pipe suggestions that would work well in the car. I am not traditionally a clencher (I like to sit and hold my pipe while I smoke.), but my new job has made the car become my new smoking residence. I don't like to drive with one hand, so if I want to smoke I need to clench. Problem is, my tastes have always favored heftier pipes which make my jaw somewhat tired. I do have a miniature cutty that I had made several months ago, but I really want to expand what is now being dubbed my "car rotation". Any thoughts?

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Wally Frank Short Snorter perfect for the non clencher to clench. I had one the was gifted to me from a member on here but a month ago i dropped it and it snapped in three places, i was so upset. any way i think there is one on the ebay right now. there cheap to.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Its gone but you can try this also that might work well for the car.
$_58.JPG

Vintage-Tobacco-Pipe-Imported-Wally Frank Limited-Briar

blindmansleeps

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2014
Yeah, I'd recommend a couple cobs. Also, with a cob you won't have to worry about oxidation of your stems in direct sunlight. Cobs are very light, too, and easy to clench. I use a cob when I drive.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
I smoke every day while driving. With practice, clenching becomes second nature after a few weeks, in which the jaws get used to the pressure. on the last check, my dentist was very impressed with my jaw muscles and asked, if I regularly crack nuts with them. ;) Of course, I won't take the very heavy pipes for a ride, but with well balanced pipes with good bits work very well. I never went with cobs, because my daily commute is double the time, a cob would smoke.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
+1 on the cobs. Pre-pack 2, one for each way. I also have a couple of light weight briar billiards. One is actually a no-name lovat that is 5" long with a vulcanite stem. It is a great clencher. The other is a Brewster apple. the bowl is smaller, but it seems to burn close to an hour at slow cadence. I would just pick one of your favorites and just adapt your driving. I smoke a Peterson Shamrock 606 and that one I just keep in my hand while driving. You will manage with whatever size pipe you choose. It's no different than holding a cheeseburger on the fly. Good luck!

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Love those cobs!
You can get 'em in several shapes and styles.
If you drop them out of the car, run over 'em, they fly out the window while you are talking on the cell phone, you haven't lost something that is irreplaceable.
And, there is this. You can clench them all day and not get your jaw out of whack.
Did I mention that I love cobs?
One other point before moving on. They will handle just about any tobacco blend you throw at 'em.
Nuff said.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
I appreciate the help folks. My only thing is I can't get myself to smoke cobs. I almost bought a couple MMs from the drug store the other day, but I just don't like them. Any other briar suggestions?

I have six of these now in various colors and textures. They are Savinelli Piumas. I can't find them online very easily, but your B&M (if they have a vendor for Savs) can get them, They are usually sold as $30-50 bucket pipes, but they are made by Savinelli. Great .6" sized chambers for a good 30 minute (for huffers) to an hour and half smokes, depending on how slow you smoke. They weight about half an oz, and clench wonderfully. If you can't get a Piuma, try Stanwell's featherweight line. The Stans are still a bit heavier, about .7oz, but they are great pipes too.

piumas.jpg

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I recommend a pipe with a vulcanite comfortable stem. Cobb pipes have harder stems that may irritate your mouth. While cobb pipes are light a medium sized briar pipe with a vulcanite stem may be more comfortable for you and may smoke better than a cobb.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
MM cobs are good, as suggested by several. If you want briar, Iwan Ries Exclusives include

compacts and medium size pipes, about $35 to $52. These are excellent pipes, but wouldn't

break the bank if they were stolen.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Ahhhhh ... I'm feeling the Cob-Love in this thread! LOL
Light, cheap, great smoker ... chicks dig it!

Well ... I'm not sure about that last part. :puffy:

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Saddle stems is what I would look for, or if it is more a traditional straight pipe stem like a wedge, then I use a softie bit. You might want to use a softie bit until you get used to clenching. Another option is if you have any slightly small bent pipes, full or 3/4 bents will hang from your mouth well, stay out of your vision and then just by glancing down you can see into the bowl.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
I would suggest any of Trevor Talbert's Ligne Bretagne pipes. They tend to be on the smaller side and all of mine have been perfect, light clinchers that I enjoy on my 25-minute commute.

Status
Not open for further replies.