Good B-Day Yesterday, Got An Old? Ascorti + Booze!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Sometimes you have a good birthday, and sometimes you don't. Yesterday was simple but good one for me. I bought myself an older Ascorti and my wife bought me some great Islay scotch, and my neighbor got me the good tequila. Then we all went to a local Mexican restaurant and I got some goat meat tacos with cilantro, onions and tomatoes. Oh and yeah, some more tequila with limes and salt! A great evening, and I didn't have to drive either, whoo, hoo! :mrgreen:
A few days earlier, I received this pipe I got off ebay, an Ascorti that needed some TLC. The top of the bowl was badly charred, top end of the stem was broken (bitten) off, and the pipe was rather dirty. I wavered on the buy it now price of $38 for a while before deciding to go for it and try to fix it up. I finally got some black super glue, so I figured this was a good candidate for it. It came out pretty good, got the button looking pretty perfect, and the whole pipe looks much better, in spite of there being one little char spot on the bowl top that I decided was too deep to remove. Odd thing, there's no "A" on the stem. But it looks to be original with the inset briar stripe. Can't see where it's been sanded or buffed off either. Hard to tell how old this is, but it has certainly seen some use. It has a big bowl which I normally don't smoke too often, but this smokes so nice I can see me using it for milder tobaccos when I want a long smoke.
Birthdays like this make getting older seem not so bad. Now if the aches and pains would go away....
img_00065-600x517.jpg

img_0011-600x324.jpg

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Now that's what I call a birthday! Happy birthday Orley. Love all three of those gifts. I'm a sucker for craggy rustication and gravitate to saddle bits. Would your Ascorti be long enough to be considered a saddle-bit Canadian, ie Lumberman?

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I think you got some very fine "lube" for those aching bones you speak of!!! :lol:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
What a wonderful day you had, Orley!
Good friends. Good food. Wonderful presents and a new burner.
It doesn't get much better than that, pal.
Fnord

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
Happy belated Birthday Orley that is a bloody nice looking pipe, you did a great job restoring it, also don't drink all that booze in one night, you'll be drunk for a couple of days, lol

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Hey thanks guys! Comments appreciated! Yeah the birthday celebration was fun, and I somehow avoided any major hangover issues. The booze is put away and waiting for judicious use in the future.
I really am liking this rather large Ascorti though. Like I said, I don't use large pipes that much, and only have a few. But I found the perfect use for this one. During the summer months, I smoke a cob while mowing the lawn, which takes about an hour and a half. Now with no lawn to mow, mind you I'm not complaining, I do miss the smoking experience. So now I just load the Ascorti with my lawn mowing mixture, H&H Louisiana Red and Lane 1Q about 50/50, and sit on the porch and just look at the dead, leaf covered grass. It's a win, win, better pipe, and less work! :D

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"Birthdays like this make getting older seem not so bad. Now if the aches and pains would go away...."
That's what the Ardbeg is for...medicinal purposes. It works from the inside-out though.
Congratulations and Happy Birthday! I have one coming up next month myself.

david555

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2014
Nice! Ardbeg is one of my favorites. You get more than what you pay for, which is a rarity.

Happy Birthday!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like some range -- large to small and plenty in between -- in a stable of pipes. I think you needed another

large bowled pipe. Sometimes there's nothing like a good long smoke. I really like that heavy texture on the

briar. I don't think you'll be dropping that one. Great price.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Ya done Good Brother! May God Bless you with many more Birth Days and good health...

Status
Not open for further replies.