Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
With all the non-tobacco topics floating around concerning media events, art, abuse of power, people bleating like goats at the hands of "the man," I'm reminded of the quote by George McGovern's campaign manager about the book "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail." It was "the least factual and most accurate" account written at the time. It is times like these that I ask myself, "What would Raoul Duke do?" Where is the "freak power" that renders subterfuge, talking heads, and talking points impotent. How do we get to the meat of the matters at hand. I've no Mescalito, tequila, Chivas Regal or any number of truth enhancers or filters at my disposal. I've only my last tin of tobacco to get me through until reinforcements arrive... a four and a half year old tin of Old Dark Fired. One of my forebears supposedly proclaimed, "Give me Liberty, or give me death." I, for one, feel the need for the return of Gonzo Journalism to cut through the PC morass and tell it like it is. I was once told that perfection was a compromise between precision and accuracy. What say you? Oh, and how do you like this here tobacco?

hpim4550-600x480.jpg

hpim4551-600x422.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I'm all for Gonzo journalism. We are fed pablum, because we deserve the level of intellect we get.
I'd like a return of not only Gonzo, but Ed Abbey and any other in your face idealism. What I can't stand is the psuedo-news and faux journalism.
WE HAVE A BRAIN. Let us make the discernment!!
The baccy looks great.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
I don't know about the brain, reasoning or the true in journalism, but that tobacco rocks in a thorough-going manner.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Aldecaker's fun factoid of the day: I started my college career as a journalism major. Needless to say, that shit didn't last long.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What is Gonzo isn't always journalism. And people who "tell it like it is" often don't. My late wife's mother always said she did ... see? But I love the work of Hunter and Norman Mailer. It's a conundrum who did the subjective experiencing of current events better. If you want to see some Gonzo History -- I'm serious about this -- try Thomas Carlyle's "The French Revolution." He saw the unfolding events as a kind of unfolding organic being that had a life and meaning of its own, inscrutable to the human mind. Carlyle realized what Thompson and Mailer surmised. The first fifty to eighty pages are pretty heavy going, but once you master the syntax of Carlyle, it goes pretty fast. Like Mailer and Thompson, this is essentially poetry for people who don't read poetry on principle. It's what we're missing by not utilizing poetry in the public discussion, unless it's all rhyme and recited very fast, or done as a high volume drama in a slam. Poetry is an important intellectual tool, like mathematics, and we sidetrack it at our peril. It's not really journalism. It's a different animal. But if you say that, no one buys the articles and books. Thompson had his ashes shot off with fireworks, which seems pretty nice.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
If you want to see some Gonzo History -- I'm serious about this -- try Thomas Carlyle's "The French Revolution." He saw the unfolding events as a kind of unfolding organic being that had a life and meaning of its own, inscrutable to the human mind.
I second this. Oftentimes, assembling details into a narrative defines the narrative by what we can isolate, where looking at the whole and taking an impression then arranges details according to the bigger picture.
Off to see The Scarlet Pimpernel...

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Gonzo -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gifEn61dZBc
Journalism -

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-corruption-fbi-idUSTRE5B74AI20091208

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/syria-air-strikes-us-russia-warn-ahead-airbase-donald-trump-putin-missile-attack-tomohawk-cruise-a7671736.html
Thanks Deathmetal, for the FBI story in the ATF thread.
He saw the unfolding events as a kind of unfolding organic being that had a life and meaning of its own, inscrutable to the human mind

Thanks for the referral to Thomas Carlyle, I'll definitely read it. :) This is why I love Thompson's and Bukowski's work. They anthropomorphize the heavy, lumbering, bureaucracy of injustice into a "filthy beast" so palpable I feel I can grab a sword and behead the monster. In Hermetic symbology, the sword represents intellect. All the maps I'm reading say, "Here, there be monsters." Or, in the words of Rod Serling, "That's the sign post up ahead. Your next stop; The Twilight Zone."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5DbZK2W7zw

Status
Not open for further replies.