PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
As I assume many of you here may have done, I've joined a few different pipe smokers forums.
A couple of weeks ago I came across a Dr. Grabow site...
http://drgrabows.myfreeforum.org/
Like here, there are a lot of really nice folks that love their pipes.
As it turns out one of the members invited me up to Sparta, about 2 1/2 to 3 hours from here, for a tour of the Dr. Grabow factory. So my son and I are gonna head up day after tomorrow, have breakfast with several of the members and then take a tour of the factory.
I'm really looking forward to this for several reasons, one of which is the fact that I have never been to a pipe factory. Another one is that I'm gonna get a chance to tour the factory where my very first pipe ever was produced, a Bent Bulldog.
That first pipe has been lost to time, so, if things work out maybe I'll be able to replace that lost briar with a new one, from the factory. :)
I'd be willin to bet, that if anyone here is close to Sparta NC and wanted to join the group, that they'd be able to.
Let me know if you wanna join and I'll reach out to the gentlemen that invited my son and I and get ya on the list.
Cheers
Dino

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Very generous of you to include others. Wish I was there. Looks like an amazing tour you're going to get.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Sounds like a good time, and should be fun. Let us know how it goes. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I believe that the Dr. Grabow factory in Sparta is the largest remaining pipe factory in the U.S., maybe the only actual factory as opposed to workshop. I've seen the excellent video which gives a feel, but I will eagerly await any news you bring back. If it is offered, I'd strongly recommend the Royalton bent bulldog because of its acrylic stem, easily worth the few extra bucks. I think their pipes are excellent, well above their price points, and made with a lot of care and art. I've heard that they offer a number of limited edition pipes at the factory, or have in the past, so you might want to look at those if they're offered. Have a great trip, and extend my support and affirmation to that crew for their excellent work.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oops, I should have said it's the largest briar pipe factory, since the Missouri Meerschaum factory in Washington, Missouri, outside St. Louis is a high volume producer of corn cob pipes. I think after Dr. Grabow and MM, the rest are smaller scale operations, to the best of my knowledge. A decade ago, I think there were a few others in the continental U.S., but now I think the others are smaller operations, workshops that make mostly artisanal pipes. Am I forgetting any others? I'd like to think I am.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Bring cash and enjoy the back room. Picked up a Hillcrest shape in Apple wood and an unmarked, unfiltered Royalton among others for a steal. Lucky so and so....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oh boy, thelonious, American factory pipe paradise. I savor the designs on Dr. Grabow the way I do Petersons, just something unique and distinct.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In my first post on this thread, I forgot to mention S.M. Frank Co. Inc. that makes Kaywoodie and associated brands. As I understand, they have a factory that makes their Brylon pipes in New York and a second factory in Tampa that makes their briars. How their volume compares to Dr. Grabow, I don't know. Dr. Grabow seems to be more widely available, so I assume it is a larger outfit. Brylon is the ground wood and resin composite that is heavy and smokes somewhat hot but seems to find a market nonetheless, rated high at least for durability. But the pipe factory is a rarity in the U.S. Any others I might have forgotten?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
MSO, I think you have covered all of them. I really don't know what is the status of S.M. Frank. They still seem active, but their products are not nearly so common as Grabow's.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Mso, I agree, they have a distinct style and the volume of briar they go through no doubt helps to keep prices down on it preventing more prestigious brands from becoming increasingly exclusive/expensive.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Well,
I thought I'd spend a little time tonight with a post about the tour.
My son Seth was in town visiting, here for his little sisters H.S. graduation. So, he loaded up in the car and made the 3 hour trek with me up to the land of Dr. Grabow.
Here's the old factory and water tower on the edge of town...

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
A picture of the group, that showed up for the tour, having breakfast at a local restaurant before heading to the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.