PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I try not to dwell on it too much -- it can get depressing -- but it's occurred to me that many of the pipe/tobacco shops that were significant to me when I started pipe smoking in 1980 have disappeared. Sure, there are still some great shops around. But I thought it might be nice if folks wanted to give a shout-out to the once-meaningful ones that have vanished over the years.
As I've said a lot here, I worked part-time for five years at a Tinder Box in Yorktown Mall in Lombard, IL. That shop had the biggest impact on me. But down the road about three miles was another shop -- just called "Smoke Shop" -- that was run by a little guy with a ratty beard in a strip mall. At one time, he had a ton of pipes, lots of tobacco, and it was the spot we TB guys sent folks to if they wanted to sell their pipes or find some great estates. This guy was never going to get rich, but we respected him a lot because his shop was totally pipes/cigars/tobacco -- unlike our gift-filled Tinder Box. Five miles in the other direction was a higher-end pipe and cigar store at Oakbrook Mall; it didn't have the pipe-shop vibe at all, but it was still worth an occasional visit. So, imagine: within a 10-mile radius, there were three very well-stocked pipe/cigar stores. And, of course, they're now gone.
I also have fond memories of The Tobacconist, on Monticello Avenue in downtown Chicago. Don't remember much about them, but I did find some really interesting house blends there. And it was a real neighborhood shop.
Finally, I have to give a little shout-out to a place called either Pipe and Rod or Rod and Pipe, in Elgin, IL. Again, it was a strip-mall shop, but they specialized in pipes, tinned tobaccos, and fishing tackle! I didn't buy much from them, but I did pick up tobacco occasionally, along with a Comoy pipe. (I'm smoking it today, which is what triggered this topic.)
I know businesses come and go. I know times change. And I also know that none of these shops can compare with what you can find online these days. But for a beginning pipe smoker, they were like oases where you were guaranteed to find like-minded friends and spend many enjoyable hours smoking, chatting, or just hanging out. And those kinds of places are becoming increasingly hard to find these days. . .
Bob

sjb3

Might Stick Around
Oct 23, 2013
These shops might make a comeback if they pass the internet tax bills.

I stop in my local Briary once a week. The camaraderie is worth the meager higher prices on tins, plus I prefer to see and hold a pipe before I buy. I'm not such a miser that I will try to squeeze a tad bit of savings on every little aspect of the hobby at the expense of losing these places. However, I do order some stuff online, but I try to set aside some things to only buy at my favorite B&M. Without these places, we lose a who social aspect to the hobby. The forums are great, but being able to light up among friends and kick back on the couches and chairs is priceless.

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
I know the feeling... The little shop where I grew up that was a combination of College Greek Supplies for the Fraternities and Sororities at the local Collage, and a pipe shop. The little two store business where I became friends with the owner. A couple shops in Metro St Louis that are long gone (although, couple good ones in STL though). Another in Mid Missouri.
All gone... Now, living near a Metro area of 2 million, and only a couple local shops available. Kind of sad in a way.
But, who knows? There could be a market for small shops just outside of Metro areas that would allow for a smoking lounge, etc. Could be a whole new concept in B&M may happen.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yeah it is a shame, when I was in college there was an awesome old school B&M in St. Louis, dark smoky with a big wooden Indian in the door, crammed full of all kinds of goodies. I went back last year to visit and found that it had been turned into a mostly glass pipe shop, they had a few blends, some meers, and a couple briars, but the shop of old is gone.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is exactly why I buy all of my tobacco at the shops on my work travel route, I'm hoping they will be there for a long time (Boswells, Wingenroths, Park Lane, JB Hayes).

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I just started in the hobby and can't imagine what my adventure would have been like were it not for my local shop Victory Cigars. As their name indicates they are a cigar shop first and foremost but their pipe supplies have gown in leaps and bounds over the year and the owners are absolutely fantastic people. It's hard to justify buying tobacco at 5 times the price of online retailers in the US, but their pipe prices and accessories are virtually the same price point and worth every extra penny to buy from them. A tip of the bowl to all the great B&M shops out there!

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I try to stop by my B&M once a week. It's been there since like 1880? (Straus in Cincinnati). I feel lucky to have one and have it in the center of the city. I spend money there in the hopes I am making a contribution in keeping it alive. It's a downtown institution with many "local celebrities" stopping in to smoke cigars. Now that I don't drink anymore, its taken the place of going to the bar. I just love it.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
Don't forget that you also have to pay shipping costs when you order online, assuming you aren't buying so many tins that you get free shipping.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Great post. I am a new pipe smoker and would love to know what it must have been like to be able to walk into a shop and actually find someone who knew something about pipe smoking.

There are a very few places around me that sell pipes and tobacco.

I am not very knowledgable but it seems I have more knowledge built up from hanging around here than most tobacco shops have at all. One place told me how important it is to keep pipe tobacco in a humidor.

There is one shop that obviously must have had something on the ball. They have a counter with a nice selection of pipes. They are all pretty old and dusty as if they haven't been handled in a long long time. There is an area where they did repair work and a lot of empty jars that must have held their blends.

Now there is just a lady working there who shrugs when I ask any pipe related question and tells me how nobody smokes pipes anymore.

My brother tells me about the great shops that used to cater to pipe smokers. Pretty much history now.

rudybaker

Lurker
Dec 4, 2013
The big advantage to purchasing from a local shop is the tactile aspect. You can hold the pipe and look at the grain and finish. You can smell (and if you have a good shop) and sample as well. Reviews are great, and give you a reasonable idea of what you are going to get into, but the actual first hand experience, IMHO, is the way to go.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I grew up with the Park Ridge Pipe Shop long before I was a pipe smoker, in Park Ridge, Illinois,

on what used to be the Chicago Northwestern Railroad commuter line. In fact, the shop backed

up the to tracks. It had a recessed entryway, so you were between windows arrayed with pipes

and tobacco, and being greeted by gusts of aromatic tobacco fragrance. After I'd gone off to

college out of state, the Navy, and a career out of state, it became the second home for a whole

generation of counter-culture kids. Even that had faded by the time the shop finally closed, but

it was a whole era, or series of eras, right in the downtown, across from a park, the city hall,

and the Community Church where I grew up, as well as the little veterans' memorial stone on

which a few of my classmates' names appear. As an historical note, Park Ridge was also the

hometown of Hillary Clinton, who was a year behind me at Maine Township High School East.

The Park Ridge Pipe Shop, across the tracks and down the hill from the Pickwick Theater, an art

deco masterpiece that is still in operation, where I saw the first Bond film. Now that was a pipe

shop! Loaded with memories.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I count myself fortunate to have found a local B&M here in Denver, run by a guy who has probably forgotten more about tobacco than I'll ever know. The proprietor's daughter is also an employee, so there's some continuity going on there, should the current owner ever decide to retire, and they've already survived a move halfway across town to a new location, so they're definitely in it for the long haul. There's a regular crowd on Friday afternoons that I stop by and smoke with (time permitting), and I think I've only ever been in once when there weren't at least 3 guys hanging out with cigars or pipes - and that one time was a Saturday morning, when I stopped in to pick up some Zippo fuel that I'd forgotten to buy the day before.
There are two other shops in town (counting Tewkesbury) that I need to check out one of these days...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My current local independent pipe shop is Pipes By George, which opened just east of North Carolina

State University campus town in 1975, the same year I arrived in Raleigh, N.C. The owner, George,

has a great little shop, a walk-in humidor, a wall of pipes, shelves of tobaccos, a glass case of higher

level pipes, a selection of custom roasted coffee beans, and a wealth of information about pipes and

tobacco. He has a pencil-written disclaimer on the door permitting smoking inside, the only pipe and

tobacco lounge I know of in the city. The neighborhood is gentrifying around him, though he is still

neighbor to a bike shop and tattoo parlor. George says he can't retire, so I don't know what to wish

for him. His son seems to be happily ensconced in a teaching career, but occasionally persuades his

dad to let him mind the store for a rare holiday. Long live Pipes By George, home church to a number

of my oldest pipes, bought new off the wall or out of the basket.

Status
Not open for further replies.