PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Anyone else play? What do you smoke while on the course?? I usually smoke a cigar on the front 9 and depending on how frustratingly bad I'm shooting I might have one on the back too.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Untill a couple yrs ago, I never hit a golf ball in my life. Friend at work asked me if I wanted to play a round with him on a Sunday afternoon, he had a free pass for a Guest. I borrowed my neighbours clubs and away we went. Tee time was 3pm. My first hole was 15 shots, after 18 holes my score was 157, LOL. We finished at 7pm. I haven't had the opportunity to play again, but would like to.
Any way, I took a Cob and some Drum.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
My youngest son tried out this year for his highschool team, hes a freshman and never played structured golf or had a lesson from anyone but me (i.e. noone qualified) but hes shooting mid 80's and made qualified 2nd seed on varsity, first tournament is happening right now...I'm anxiously awaiting a txt with his score

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I lost 22 balls that day
There is a sign on my gameroom wall, my wife got me, says "it takes alot of balls to play golf like me"

I feel your pain. I have got mine down to about 4 or 5 a round tho

oldshacker

Might Stick Around
Oct 26, 2012
My son and I enjoy a cigar after a game or after a few buckets of balls on the range. For us the cigar is part of the game. I have a pipe bowl with coffee before hitting the greens when I can.

Iguana, a mild maduro wrapper.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
"Golf is a good way to ruin a nice walk." I know that's paraphrased... but you can't believe everything you've heard about golf...

Lee Travino while holding a 1-Iron in the air once said: "If you're caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God can hit a 1-iron." When he decided to entertain the gallery after refusing to leave the course with the other golfers during a thunderstorm.
The next week (I believe) he decided to do the same thing and told the same joke.... and was perfunctorily struck by lighting... He later said: I'll never tell that joke again... because God can hit a 1-iron. :D
I love to play golf.

This quote by Ted Ray sums up my abilities. "Golf is a fascinating game. It has taken me nearly 40 years to discover that I can't play it."

But, I continue to try when I can.

I like to smoke 1Q in my Maggiore - Stepphano 2nd with a wind cap while riding between holes or when attempting locate errant shots.
maggiore-stepphano-2nd-600x448.jpg

Edit: One more quote worth posting: Ray Floyd

"They call it golf because all the other four letter words were taken."

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Every says I'm strange because whatever I'm smoking, be it pipe (1Q in a Stanwell 191) or cigar (padron of some sort usually), I keep in my mouth of the tee, an iron shot, out of a bunker, or putting...I've usually still got it. Two reasons:1. in order to not slice I have to S L O W down my back swing, trying not to burn my left shoulder helps this..2. when I make a bad shot, I can say I had smoke in my eyes.. :mrgreen:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Chris I used to clench my pipe all the time when playing. But, I bit through a couple of stems. So, now I wear a "Panama" style straw hat. When addressing the ball... "Hello ball" I push it back to where the brim rests on my shoulders (except when teeing off). This helps me keep my head still when I'm chipping, or pitching... (works for me anyway).

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
2-4 Camacho's per round and never, ever take it out of my mouth. I see guys lose more cigars by forgetting they put them down for a shot. I figure the cigar is a balance tool.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I used to be into golf in a huge way. When I first moved here to Sarasota Fl I had my membership for the TPC at Prestancia before I closed on my house. The course was right across the street from the gated community I was living in so it was very convenient. I used to play 4-5 days a week and then practice the other 2 or 3. I had always played as a kid and through college and the best I could get my handicap down to was a 9. My best score on the TPC course was a 77 and I normally shot low 80's with a few high 70's thrown in. After the divorce I gave up my membership and went back to playing tennis which I am much better at. I always smoked cigars on the course and cigarettes when I was smoking those.
I still have my custom set of Titelist tour blades and when my back is ok will go out once in a while with with friends or my mom.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Another blade player? I play H&B Powerbuilts Love mine..Theyre not top of the line but they play good, and something about playing withclubs made by the same company that makes louiville sluggers

I just this morning ordered my kid some Cleveland Irons

waymon

Lurker
Feb 11, 2013
I tried one time, and failed! It took me five swings just to hit the ball on the first tee! I drove the cart and kept my eye on the beer for the remaining 17 holes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Chris, I grew up playing with blades and still love them. I did try one set of cavity backed clubs years ago and hated them. I love being able to take my trusty 2 iron out when my driver goes south and can still hit it out there 250-260 with that club. It also comes in very handy when I have to get out of the trees with a low hook or low slice to get around the trees. I have always been to work the ball much better with blades. I still do not have one of those utility clubs in my bag, I am old fashioned I guess when it comes to golf.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I have a rescue hybrid that I use in the trees..never thought I'd like it but it has its place for me..I never could hit a 2, and dont know many who can consistantly.

I had a set of cavity backs and never liked them, my sons hitting them now but he wants nicer ones..hence the Clevelands. I've never hit a cleveland iron tho I do like their wedges, but he wantsem..I think cause its what his coach has..

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yeah I play, my Pete is a perfect hanger and I can smoke it while playing. Here is a pic of me (middle), my dad (eft), and our frend playing in FL.

image-28_zps06eaae51.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.