PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
According to the dictionary the term "goldilocks" denotes or refer to something which the most desirable or advantageous part of a range of values or conditions, that is, something which is not prone to extremes of temperature volatility. Hence, a planet which is in a goldilocks zone, is in a place which is neither too hot not not too cold in order for life to develop or take place. This term seems to originate in a fairy-tale heroine who enters the house of the Three Bears and declares that the possessions Baby Bear had was "just right," as compared to those of Father Bear and Mother Bear. So, a tobacco which is in goldilocks conditions, is a tobacco which is neither too moist or to dry to be able to smoke. But how long is a piece of string? How goldilocks a tobacco should be? In my personal opinion, a tobacco is in a goldilocks zone when it is rather onto the dry side, that is, a tobacco which won't crumble into dust when you rub it but that is dry enough to keep lit in your bowl without consuming too fast. Moist tobacco will burn hot in your bowl and will bite your tongue, whereas dry tobaccos will be easier to keep lit and won't bite your tongue. What is your take on this?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
frabz-GOLDILOCKS-That-bitch-better-not-show-up-here-718ee9.jpg

I like a fair amount of dry time on my tobacco ... even more so for flakes.

The tobacco should initially clump together when squeezed but then immediately fall back apart.

Some tobaccos will lose some flavor with over-drying so it's a fine line and requires experimentation.

Blends with Orientals and Burleys can change which one is in the front seat based on dry times as well.

Overall ... I would rather steer someone towards more dry than moist ... I hate steam! :puffy:

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I quite agree with you in your appreciation. I believe there is this misconception amongst most pipes smokers that tobacco should be rather moist to prevent your tobacco from both biting your tongue and burning hot in your bowl, but it is rather the contrary. When I was in my early 20s I used to have terrible bouts of tongue bite because of this, but experience, thanks God, has put me in the right path. I am a little bit surprised though, on the other hand, this post has been so overlooked by many as the moist content in your tobacco is a critical factor to take into account to have a great smoking experience. It might be true that dry tobacco will consume somewhat faster in your bowl, but it is true I have never suffered from tongue bite since. I hope more pipe smokers will pay heed to this, for in the long turn, is the smoking experience that matters.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
It seems to me that too many of us forget the elemental fact that water is a byproduct of combustion. Accordingly, I agree that dryer tobacco is better, as moisture is provided during its consumption.
"This tobacco is JUST right: Not too wet, not too dry!"
th

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
Also, moist tobacco always smokes hotter, and this is what causing tongue bite. Please do note that in order for you to keep moist tobacco lit in your bowl you will have to puff/draw harder, and this is quite aggressive for the tongue.

Status
Not open for further replies.