PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
I don't typically play around with mixing blends and I'm sure I am not the only one that's tried this particular mix before, but today I was feeling a unusually sluggish and decided to give it a go. I had coffee and breakfast as usual with about an hour before I had to meet with the company commander to give my weekly medical brief. I knew I wanted to start the day off with some OGS but I needed that extra kick. The coffee just was't doing it for me.
Anyhow, I mixed about a 1/3 of a flake of OGS in with some Dunhill Royal Yacht into a MM Legend and I was VERY satisfied with the outcome. I do not usually smoke RY because I'm not a huge fan of such full flavored VAs but I knew it would wake me up for this meeting I had. Surprisingly these 2 tobaccos mix particularly well with each other, or at least they do IMO. The OGS came through very nicely for having only mixed a small amount, so I still got that robust grassiness of the RY with hints of the sweet zest that we all love so much from OGS. I'm not exactly a sipper, but I paced myself for this one, and the flavor remained pretty consistent throughout the bowl with a very even white ash.
I would definitely say give this one a try if you want to liven up your Golden Sliced a bit. You might want to either add a bit more OGS, or use a little less RY though. Or else you might end up having to explain to your CO why you're so jittery... :rofl:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Boy, that's an interesting mix. OGS seems like the paradigm for subtle, sturdy, but refined Virginia, and RY

is this stand alone kind of aromatic mystery blend with a big nic kick. I might have thought of standing it

down with some McClelland's Red Cake as an experiment, but I never would have thought of OGS. Now

you've put this idea in my head. I'm waiting on my RY to get a little age, but then, who knows?

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I mix in a level half tablespoon of black cav in a tin of RY in a baggie, shake it up gently, then jar it for a week. Love the stuff. RY sings well acapella but even better with a little accompaniment.

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
RY + most vanilla aro's works well. It adds backbone and prevents the lower 1/3 blah of most aro's.

bowler1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2013
Williamsburg, VA
Interesting. I did try OGS and found it to have a very distinctive taste but to me it was lacking something. Perhaps this would be a good mixture. I will have to give it a try

Status
Not open for further replies.