PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Tin note: Fig Newton bars with nice tobacco aroma.
GDOY has a nice burn, the tobaccos are solid, the Kentucky reveals itself in little suprises throughout. I couldn't detect the Katerini, not reallly familliar with its characteristics. The top note is bready with flavors of vanilla, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamon, and a cocoa burley. Because of the brand new cob, I was getting some off flavors from the pipe. The second bowl was better in this respect. Relighting with a lighter brought out a spicey nutmeg/cardamon flavor that I didnt really care for at first. Using a Beeline Hemp wick eliminated this. The bottom of the bowl really unveils that spicy ginger cardamon flavor, which was really nice once I targeted the flavors. This is the first American Aromatic that I've had since my first experience with 1Q two years ago. C&D does a better aromatic IMHO. Jeremy Reeves did pretty damn good with this, I will be happy to try other offerings from them in the aromatic department. I can add that C&D hasn't let me down yet.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Thanks for these insights! I bought two tins when it was first released and I vowed to keep them sealed until after Thanksgiving. Looking forward to trying it soon! Also, I love the art direction of the label. I'd love to see that look replace some of the older, tired looks of some other C&D products.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I just popped a tin the other day. Your impressions mirror mine. Not sure I'll smoke the whole tin but it's always fun to see what C&D has up their sleeve with holiday blends.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I was going to wait for Thanksgiving week, then thought what the hell what if it sucks. It doesnt suck, its tasty. Not something I'm smoking everyday, especailly after Christmas. I'm going to grab another tin and let it age for a year.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Thanks perdurabo, been wondering about this one.
Only other aro I smoke regularly is a C&D - Autumn Evening - which I tried during the PAX Crawl a several months back. Outstanding stuff, give it a try if you haven't already.
Being a burley fiend I would agree, C&D has yet to let me down either.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm too fascinated with non-aros to do aromatics except as a change of pace, some I already have. But you find the best in what sounds like a fairly intricate and interesting blend. Thank you for the good review.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have three tins I bought when the first became available. They are waiting to be used as stocking stuffers for me and my two sons.

Comments are making it harder to wait for Christmas.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Sounds pretty good, thanks for the review. I have 3 tins I bought but I'm waiting till December to open one. :puffy:

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Mso489- I took a stab at this one, I too would rather spend time on other adventures like C&D Buffalo Soldier.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Smoked another two bowls, the cardamon flavor I picked up has to be the Katerini. It has a herbal character that peeks throught the virginia's now and again. I ordered another tin for next Christmas, Have to see what a year does for it.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
i see that the tobacco make up includes oriental - is there a latakia flavoring coming thru ?

no-one mentions it.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
No Latakia in this blend. Red Virginia, Katerini, Orientals, Kentucky Dark Fired, and Black Cavendish with Christmas themed top note. Working on bowl six, this has to be my favorite aromatic. Tasty stuff.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I know I'm late to the party, but was this better than their holiday offering last year ("Three Kings")? I passed on this one because I was so underwhelmed last year. Has anyone tried both, and how do they compare?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Never had "Three Kings" but Golden Days is good. So good I bought two more tins. Checkout the "Aromatic Haters Top 5 Aromatics" to see what I posted as my favorite aromatic. The stuff is good. It gets better after a few weeks in a jar.

Status
Not open for further replies.