PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Awhile back I started a thread called "What Makes Escudo Escudo" which was aimed at trying to flesh out what the characteristics are that make Escudo so good. However, I seemed to have worded it poorly, as we mostly talked about Escudo vs. DNR vs. LBF which wasn't my intent.
I think though, what I've gathered is that there are two common characteristics that make a tobacco I like: "Dark" Virginia (brown flakes, stoved, etc. rather than Yellow or Gold) and a bit of Perique (for that great plum-like flavor and just a bit of spicy interest...not intense).
Does that sound "right" to you guys? Tobaccos I've loved are Escudo, Blackwoods Flake, and CC. Tobaccos I have not loved are Dunhill Flake, OGS, Solani 633...things with "Gold" Virginia (which sucks since I have multiple tins of Capstan Blue, OGS, Solani 633, and Klondike Gold aging).
So with those criteria..."Dark"/stoved or medium Virginias (as found in Blackwoods Flake, Escudo, CC) and a not-too-heavy presence of Perique...what blends should I be trying?

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Ok great question based on those criteria. Though these are not Vapers, they would fit into your taste profile. Sounds like we smoke the same kinds of tobacco, I would recommend Dan tobaccos Patriot Flake, Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake, Wessex BCDF. Also John Aylesbury Luxury Flake if you can find it. Also Smoking Pipes Low Country Waccamaw is very tasty.
What is CC though?

Status
Not open for further replies.