PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
If one is to lend an ear to the famous tobaccoreview.com website this is quite a controversial piece. I am not one in search for tobacco that is the subject of a fiery debate, but rather bought this out of curiosity. I always had a good experience with Ashton tobaccos, and GOld Rush is something new in my local store. Overall ... one interesting virginia. Out of the tine ... a golden looking ribbon (probably the reason for the name), with some remains of a broken flake here and there. The nose is grassy and sweet, very drawing I might add. Unlike your most US Virginias, it doesn't have the ketchupy / vinegary element to it, either. I didn't leave it out to dry, just stuffed my 320 and lit the baccy. I am quite happy with this. For one, I am not big on virginia, but ... this is one pleasant smoke. Very sweet, a tad reminder of honey taste - although the tin label insists that there is no casing. Some may say it's plain, but in my humble opinion it is just a straight, friendly virginia, with subtle hints of various sweetness. In other words, while taste is not straight in your face, I find it having several levels. A very pleasant smoke indeed, and in my 9 mm filtered pipe, I am happy to say there was no bite. I warmly recommend it for virginia beginners, and as a curiosity to those more advanced ones as well.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Sorry guys, I don't know that one. Let me tell you one thing, after having some trouble with virginias this blend encouraged me to search some more. Samuel Gawith and Peterson are next on my list.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe I'm just being lazy, but the name doesn't ring any bells with me. Who makes Gold Rush? Who sells it? Tin, bag, pouch, or tub? Bulk? Sounds pretty good.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Ashton Gold Rush is very much in the same vein as F&T Blackjack. Both straight Virginia blends.
Very good blends, both.

P

pipebuddy

The OP's review/impressions on this tobacco are extraordinarily similar to mine. I have also found this tobacco very enjoyable to smoke, even if the nicotine strength is not quite mild to medium: straightforward, citrus/sweet, no brainer tobacco that doesn't bite.

I think, for anyone looking to venture into Virginias, Gold Rush could be a great start. And for the aficionados seeking a change of pace, this one is worth it. I believe it's totally underrated.

I suspect 5-6 years of aging will make it shine some more.

P

pipebuddy

Maybe I'm just being lazy, but the name doesn't ring any bells with me. Who makes Gold Rush? Who sells it? Tin, bag, pouch, or tub? Bulk? Sounds pretty good.
Yes, MSO, you are being lazy. Is ok, we cook lamb. :D

1. Ashton (STG). 2. Major tobacco shops, I suppose. 3. 50g tins. 4.Nope, not that I know of.5. Yup. it is.
https://www.4noggins.com/ashton-pipe-tobacco.aspx
https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/ashton/
https://www.cupojoes.com/pipe-tobacco/tins-pouches/ashton/
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/ashton-gold-rush-pipe-tobacco/1439838/

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Ashton Gold Rush is very much in the same vein as F&T Blackjack. Both straight Virginia blends.

I'm afraid I have to disagree here. Blackjack is a Red Virginia, and one of my very favorites. Gold Rush is a mostly yellow (Lemon) Virginia. I find the taste more in line with Reiner's Long Golden Flake, another favorite, though quite different to me from Blackjack. Still, a tasty blend!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It's been about 6 yrs. since I smoked this, but from my notes I didn't detect any honey taste -- though it was more sweet than savory. The lemon flavor was most noticeable in the aftertaste. I called it an indefinite citrus taste more than actual lemon. It's a good medium Va. without the sharpness or bite piquancy for which Vas are notorious; but there wasn't enough pizzazz to keep me buying it, and it was too light in nicotine for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.