Going to Rome/Nice/Monaco in late July/August - Advice?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

2 Fresh Former Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
We are spending 7-8 days in Nice and Monaco before we go to Rome. We are right on the water in a comfortable hotel. I look forward to food, lounging, fishing and whatever she wants to do...
I've been to Italy a couple times, but have never been to Rome. My lady and I are spending 6 days there. Any favorite things to do in Rome?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
That sounds awesome. A vacation in Italy and other European locations is on the bucket list. I would want to see the historical sites, the Vatican and the incredible food. I'd also try to visit some of the famous pipe makers. Have fun!

slowroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2017
When in Nice and Monaco be sure to drive along the Corniche above Monaco and environs, great road, lovely views. Drive along the coast road and stop for lunch at some of the wonderful restaurants overlooking the Mediterranean. Look in at the splendid resort areas of Cap Ferret and Antibes. And take a bit of time to drive north into the Alpes Maritime for magnificent mountain scenery and great villages. Enjoy. I wish I were going again.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Been there 20 years ago. It was great but I liked Venice better.
Look for the sidewalk pizza vendors. Best. Pizza. Ever.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
When in Rome, do as the Romans do... :rofl:
Sorry. I couldn't help myself. Have fun!
jay-roger.jpg

bazungu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2018
Go hang out at the 'Musico & Becker' pipe store, it is right next to the Trevi fountain. Great store, great guy and an amazing selection of handmade pipes by Musico himself. Also try and go eat at Osteria da Fortunata in Campo de fiori, you will not regret and prices are very reasonable and if you like pushing your comfort zone then eat their Pajata!

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My wife and I were there for New Years about 5 years ago and had a great time. One little piece of advice to pass to you is that there is one admission ticket for the Colosseum and the Palantine Hill around the corner. There will be swarms of people lining up at the Colosseum, but significantly less at Palantine Hill. So buy your ticket there, enjoy those ruins, then do the Colosseum.
Another piece of advice is to try to visit the Vatican. Even if you aren't Catholic, it is simply breathtaking.
Enjoy your trip!

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I have returned. I spent over an hour hanging out with Massimo. What a great guy! I came home with two of his pipes. I'll post pics and share some of his wisdom later in a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.