Going to New Orleans in a few weeks... Have any suggestions for fun?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I haven't been to New Orleans since 1994-95. I am going with my lady in mid April for about a week. We are staying at a nice hotel in the French Quarter.

Do you have any "can't miss/gotta do" suggestions? I'm not the slightest bit worried about food because it's one of the best places to eat in the world - but feel free to suggest where to get your favorite ________________.
Other than coffee, food and alcohol, what would you suggest? Music, the river/gulf, shopping, books, dangerous sharp toothed animals, the best praline, etc...
Also, are there any great places to get pipe tobacco? Perique?
Thanks, G

jmagen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2016
Travel in at least pairs, stay in well lit areas, don't be scared to cross the street to avoid people you wouldn't normally spend time with.

It's a beautiful city. There's lots to see but avoid being a statistic.

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I have more of a chance of being a statistic here in Wilmington. Per capita, the murder capital of America for the past 3 years.
I get what you're saying though... I've lived in NYC, Boston, Miami, Dayton, Phoenix, Phili,

New Haven and London....
Anything you'd recommend I see?

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
A carriage tour of the quarter is interesting- the architecture is Spanish, not French; the World War II museum (the famous WWII landing craft, the Higgins Boat was designed and built by local resident, Andrew Higgins; a tour or the old cemetery on the north side of the quarter and also Metairie Cemetery with its Classic and Gothic architecture; take a street car ride Up Town along St. Charles Ave (Audubon Zoo is Up Town); Stop by famous Tipina's and have a beer on Tchoupitoulas Street; walk and shop on Magazine Street; if kids are coming the LA Children's Museum is fantastic; one of the "haunted" tours of the Quarter; Do know Lafitte's Blacksmiths shop was never owned by Jean Lafitte's or his brother Pierre-- Pierre did own a house next to it though; in Chalmette, just east of N.O., the Battle of New Orleans, Chalmette Battlefield park is interesting; get a hamburger at Port of Call on Esplanade; eat a muffaletta at Central Grocery in the Quarter if you can get in. Lots of things to see and do-- this is just a start.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Acme Oyster House, visit Napoleons House and see the Camera Obscurer on top of that building by the Bank of Louisiana. A trip to one of the bone yards by tram is always a good idea and of course dinner at my favorite restaurant Arnaulds or the jazz brunch at The Court of The Two Sisters on Royal Street. If you like antiques then you will find a whole bunch of 'old shit' to buy or look at on Royal Street. Other things to do is grab a Beignet and coffee made with Community Coffee at Cafe Du Monde on Decatur Street or take a couple or many drinks at the Hand Grenade Bar! Enjoy yourselves as it is a wonderful city.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Not too far up river is St. James Parish where Perique is grown and processed. You might call ahead and get a tour.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We don't spend much time in the Quarter these days.

If you want to venture out a little:

My favorite place for music:

http://www.rocknbowl.com/
Frenchmen Street is a little less touristy, there's music all over here. Stay on the main drag here.

http://frenchmenstreetlive.com/
Jacque-Imo's on Oak Street is a favorite restaurant

http://gonola.com/2014/07/04/new-orleans-nightlife-a-night-on-oak-street.html
Have fun and do watch what areas you are in. Unlike any other major city I've visited or worked, NOLA is a patch-work quilt of bad areas (unlike sections in other places). If it doesn't look right, it isn't.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Word on the street is that the city is a sad, boring, undiscovered, little hole-in-the-wall that offers little in the way of activities or entertainment. Personally, I'd avoid it and head to the vacation Mecca of Greenville, MS.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Lots of good suggestions above.
The World War II Museum takes at least a full day to see everything. I would recommend paying the extra to see Beyond all Borders and the Tang Experience. There is also a new feature that is on the Lakefront - PT-305 has been restored and does rides on Saturdays. The rides are pricey -$350 per person and last 90 minutes.
The New Orleans Pipe club usually meets on the 3rd Thursday of the month. You would be welcomed to attend if you are here then.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
It's true, Nate, Greenville is where it's at. Or, Clarksdale where you can stay at the super posh Shack Up Inn. Don't get no better! https://www.shackupinn.com

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't been to NOLA since the flood. Before that, I honeymooned there in 1976 with my late wife, and had two business trips there. Gallatoire, though a tourist place, is a favorite in the French Quarter; "you wait in line whoever you are," I like that attitude. Childish maybe, but I can never go without taking an excursion on the riverboat. It gets you close to the essence of the place. Last time I went, I stood on the lower deck about a foot above the water and was amazed at how delicately the pilot wove that big boat through intense traffic and obstacles. Some amazing skill on display. Also got a look at the boiler fire and the pistons driving the paddlewheel. Breakfast at Brennan's is worth the effort, as is The Preservation Hall jazz band, classic dixieland by old time performers. The sign is tiny so ask directions.

jmagen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2016
Despite my pessimism, I do concur with most of the posters above about the World War II Museum. Worth at least one day of a trip.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
You also have the Cigar Factory on Decatur Street (about 2 or 3 blocks from Jackson Square). Mayan Imports is a good cigar and pipe shop and they have 3 locations. One on Magazine Street in the shopping district, one in the French Quarter and one in Metairie. They all carry pipes and pipe tobacco and the one on Magazine I know has a smoking room.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I hear that the local cuisine is something ... never had a chance to go there myself though ..

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Take the streetcar up to City Park and visit the sculpture garden, if you like art/sculpture. Its free, five acres of winding paths with cool sculptures along the way. For me, it was just what I NEEDED after a rough night at Pat Obrien's Bar............ those Hurricanes will fog you up for sure............... :mrgreen:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I was there in 2002(?) in the middle of a hurricane. Everything was closed. This was going to be the big one, and my newspaper wanted me to be at ground zero. Drove in from the Florida panhandle, hauled my camera gear, food, PFD, sat phone and generator up to the 5th floor of the Holiday Inn. Waited for the storm and it never happened. Just rained a lot. Packed up the next day and drove back to Pensecola and flew home.
I'd like to go back some day, in nicer weather.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I was there a few months ago. Granted I live in Chicago but I felt no bad vibes at all. Everyone was friendly and I saw absolutely no crime.
Plus 1 on Frenchman St. every time I asked where the locals go that's where I was told. All kind of music, no cover with a two drink minimum.
That wasn't much of a problem.
Also. If you want to ride the trolley you need exact change $1.25.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
If you want to do a charter fishing trip let me know. I know a good charter captain

Status
Not open for further replies.