PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I have been a lone wolf smoker since picking up the pipe a year ago. That has more or less been a personal choice as there is a group that meets at a downtown Denver cigar bar, Delaney's, on the second Thursday of every month. Well, for the first time next week I'm going to make it out for my first meet up.
I talk every now and then with a local tattoo artist who will be there and I finally met in person a few weeks back at the Denver Comic Con, so I won't be without somebody to help introduce me to the group.
I plan on taking some tobacco with me to swap and also to give away as some blends aren't to my liking anymore. Do people usually bring a few pipes to these things? Are people usually pretty friendly with the younger pipe smokers in person? I'm 28, but am usually told I look younger than that. Everyone here is friendly and accommodating, but that can be different from face-to-face interaction as I have found at a local B&M where the older pipe smokers largely ignored me as if I was intruding on their territory.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
The once a month gathering at the shop I work at has pipers waiting for the doors to open. Usually the regulars bring backpacks full of pipes and tobaccos and they do that to help out the new guys. There's a broad range of demographics represented and it's an all day affair. Take the time to listen and absorb what's being discussed in the wheel of conversation that'll be taking place. I learned so much just through osmosis during the last gathering that it's changed me. I'm not as apprehensive about trying new to me tobaccos regardless of what I've read or heard. Pipe club gatherings are the best, enjoy!

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Luckily I'm not apprehensive about other blends. I'm a pretty open minded person who will try anything once. The only kind of blend I haven't tried is an Oriental. I've had aros, VAs, VaPers, English, Hybrids, Brun ... but no Oriental.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I frequent Morley's Pipe Club in Philly and it is the nicest bunch of guys you will meet. For suggestions I would definitely:
1. Agree with settersbrace and LISTEN to what the regulars have to say. You will definitely pick up on tobacco that is fantastic yet no one on these forums raves about. You will probably also get the skinny on where to get it.
2. Bring no less than 5 pipes with one of them being a cob. The guys will probably be very generous and let you sample whatever they have out. In our club most members place their 4-10 tins and jars of baccy in front of them and people just start looking at what you have and politely ask to sample. You will of course be invited to do the same. I say bring a cob because you may come across something you are not sure of (or many) and the beauty of a cob is that you can sample more than one tobacco in a night in the same pipe. Hopefully you will get to try some Oriental.
3. Make sure your lighter is filled but bring your butane anyway, or if you only use matches bring no less than 100. You won't be the only one using them. With that bring your pipe cleaners so you can run one through a briar when you are done smoking it, as well as your pipe tool and any other items you use during your smoking ritual.
4. HAVE A BLAST!!!!!!
Let us know how it went.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I was planning on only taking maybe 2-3 pipes ... but now I see that may have been a slight miscalculation on my part. Good excuse for me to get crazy, I'll have my newly acquired calabash in on Saturday so I'll bring that bad boy with me for shits and giggles.
Yup, I guess between the pipes and tobacco I'll be bringing a bag in with me. I'll be leaving some of it behind luckily as I'll probably never smoke all of it, might as well donate to the guys.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
I'm envious, cmdrmcbragg. I wish there was something like that around here. To my knowledge, the closest pipe club is nearly three hours away. I'd start one here, but aside from my two sons, I don't know of anyone in my town who smokes a pipe.
Have a great time! I look forward to hearing how it went.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I took my lighter Andrew, it was the case that I left behind. Had I not had my lighter for a few weeks I would have HAD to buy another :)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Good advice here. Bring your smaller pipes or only fill half bowls because you'll want to try everything and you can't do it with full bowls. Also, bring some zip lock bags for stuff you'll want to sample later. Pipers are very generous with samples and so should you.

Have fun and report back on your evening. I'm sure you'll be hooked and have a great time.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
This forum has definitely shown me the generosity amongst pipe smokers. I have given away tins for free, received some for free as well, even ones I wasn't expecting (thanks again to Cortez, trailboss and rsuninv). I plan on taking a bunch that I'm not going to be smoking so that others may enjoy it instead of it being relegated to the back of my cabinet.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
I'd love to hear a follow-up to this, cmdrmcbragg. I've been a lone smoker as well and am interested in experiencing the group dynamic of a pipe club meeting.

goinslow

Lurker
Jul 19, 2014
I second ericthered... I would love to hear follow up as I (lord willing) will be going to my first meet up as well mid august sometime.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Just saw this thread. settersbrace and yaz definitely have it. This may be too late, but I would add, Bring Baggies and a Sharpie! No one else will remember and you will be a hero.
PS Rats. Just read the 'next week' part, so too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.