PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
So tomorrow is my dad's wedding anniversary and we are working on making new, good memories. We're ridding up to Cup O' Joe's in Queensbury, New York and then probably down to Habana Premium. Habana, I love and I don't care who knows but this is my first visit to Cup O' Joe's. Any recommendations on tobaccos to try?

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
As far as new Russ blends I would definitely recommend Fusiliers Ration. Jason (Lord Noble) and I got to try it when we met there in August and it was fantastic!! It is an English blend with very creamy orientals and just a whiff of a lakeland type aroma.... Delicious!!
What time do you think you will be at Habana's? I was going to stop in myself and it would be great to meet up!!

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Hey rickpal, we are leaving the Hudson Valley (Exit 19 Kingston) around 8am and going up to Queensbury. That's a 2 and a half hour drive? I imagine we'll have lunch in Lake George and then back down to Albany. So my guess is that we'll be there in the vicinity of 1:30pm plus or minus an hour. It would be awesome to meet to up if we can time it and I'm still really pissed about not being to make it when Jason came down and all you guys met up.

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Baron, if I see him, I'll let him know even though that sounds like something you would say before an assassination. I hope I'm not tackled.

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I don't have a digital camera nor have I enslaved myself to a 'smart'phone yet so I hope my descriptions will suffice.
We started off late because I had to clean up cat puke at my house, so that right there was a testy start. Then, we stopped at a rest stop on the Northway (I-87 above Albany), and my sister earned herself the nickname 'The Crusher' by closing my thumb in the car door. The fingernail is still holding on by I thank my lucky stars that this was a 2010 Nissan with tons of rubber and plastic and not a sharp cornered steel 1988 Chevy.
We got off an exit too soon and guessed our way to Rt 9 which took was into Queensbury, NY and to Cup O Joe's. It's a nice store and the staff was very friendly. The gentleman that helped me was very eager to please which I took as both a positive and a negative. The positive aspect goes without saying and the negative aspect was mitigated by having an idea of what I wanted and knowing a little bit about pipes and pipe tobacco. I ended up with a tin of Bigfoot Flake, a tin of Yeti flake and a basket Calabresi. Without checking the Cup O Joe's website, I can't remember which tobacco is which so I'll refer to them by their numbers on the tin.
The #4 is a straight Virginia cut into long, thick strands. The tin smells sweet and a little grassy. It packs easy enough when you're not riding in a car. I rubbed it out a little further when I packed it and it took a flame well. Very nice smoke, very satisfying.
The #5 is an aromatic, which is not my usual cup of tea but same on me for not reading the back of the tin. The flakes come in long, broad flakes and the tin note is a bit over powering and the caramel that the back of the tin is marked with doesn't come through until you light it. The flake rubbed out easily enough and lit quickly for an aro and a flake (I've smoked aros and flakes but this was my first aro flake) from a fresh tin but I had to constantly swab my pipe out due to a nearly ever present gurgle. I imagine it would benefit from a bit of a drying time. I only had one bowl of this one so I don't think I can really judge it yet but if you were going there today and liked aros, I think I would recommend it.
The Calabresi pipe I bought is a big, straight billiard with a smooth finish and is in the neighborhood of being a walnut color. It was elements of birdseye in the grain. The draught hole is dead center, at the bottom of the bowl, and center drilled in the shank and only cost me $33. This would be because of the two fills in the bowl (one rather large) but for $33, I figured I would give it a shot.
Anyway, that's enough for now. I'll check back in later and give you the second half of the story which still has a few danglers that need a remedy. Thanks for listening and tune in next time for another episode of 'The Shit That Happens When Joe Goes Somewhere Without a Map.'

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Haha, poor guy. Sorry about the rough start. The #4 sounds pretty good and the pipe sounds like a winner is well. I really like a nice billiard. Pot shaped billiards are my favorites. I can't wait for the rest of the story. I hope you can save your thumbnail. At least your sister has a cool new nickname. Too bad it was at your expense. :cry:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Guessing that was one of the travel plazas with a Roy Rogers in it? I spend a lot of time on that road. Sorry about the thumb, I hope it wasn't your packing thumb!
Too late now, but you drove right by Park Lane to get to Cup-O-Joes (I recommend Connoisseurs Flake). A wonderful shop as well.
Habana has the best lounge and is a great place to spend a little time. In fact, I'm working the NY Thruway tomorrow and will hit Habana tomorrow evening myself. I was hoping they had Fusiliers Ration in stock...(I missed my opportunity to try it at the Richmond show).

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
It WAS my packing thumb! I'm currently training my left hand won the Three Level Method with mixed results but I'll be keeping the nail and, as a matter of fact, the only real damage is a superficial laceration on and around my cuticle. It could have been much worse and I should be ok in a jiffy. We were on the Northway so it only vending machines. If it had been a Roy Roger's stop, I could have gotten ice. Instead, I got a sideways look from the lady behind the tourism counter for coming in bleeding.
So, to finish my story (which at this point now continued into Sunday), we drove down from Lake George on Route 9 instead of back to the highway because of bridge construction between Exits 7 and 8. Everything was going fine, despite driving through the middle of the Glens Falls Soup Festival and the general carnage of Saratoga Springs, until we got down by Clifton Park. Park Lane is on my list of shops to visit but it wasn't on that day's itinerary. Well, near Clifton Park, traffic started to back up and it started to rain and then hail and our lane was about to expire so we panicked and turned right instead of merging left. Luckily, the road we turned onto lead to the highway exit- directly to the highway exit that we were attempting to avoid. That's life though so we toured the countryside and through foggy memory and random guessing we made it to Central Ave and then to Habana Premium.
At this point, I have to say sorry to rickpal because I must have missed him as I over shot my ETA by 2 hours or I just didn't see him. So, sorry rickpal. As is my custom, I walked around the entire pipe section of the store and, seeing nothing new or nothing within my very meager price range (especially after my extravagant $33 purchase earlier) I asked the gentleman behind the counter for 8 oz of my regular tobacco, which is Cornell and Diehl Three Friars. He got it for me, end of story. Alls well that ends well.
Not exactly. My sister also needed to go to the mall, so we got back onto the highway and started to make our way over there when my nose could tell that something was not right in the bag of tobacco I bought. I pulled the bag out and without having to open it, I could smell the latakia. Three Friars is Virginia, Burley and Perique. No latakia. I figured, no big deal, must be some sort of aroma exchange between bags in the warehouse. Opened the bag, it was worse. Filled my pipe, lit up, everyone tried to jump out of the car. I was disappointed that something like this would happen. I love that tobacco and even despite the fact that it's medium strength, something is so satisfying about it that I only want to smoke that. Not even cigarettes. After the mall, everyone was too tired to go back so we drove home back to the Mid-Hudson Valley.
So I called up when I got home, they said they would exchange it for me, no problem, so I got up the next day early, got waylaid, left late, drove past the store and arrived. Come to find out, there wasn't a mix up in-store but rather Cornell and Diehl either mislabeled the shipment or changed the blend without telling anyone. I hope it was a labeling mistake because if the blend changed, I will be heartbroken. I took home 8 oz of Night Train as a consolation and it seemed pretty close.
Does anyone know if Three Friars is a rubbed out version of Night Train? I havn't smoked enough of the Night Train to decide. Also, does anyone know if Cornell and Diehl changed that blend? Alex from Habana said he would e-mail me after he found out but I'm just wondering if anyone would know off hand. I might repeat this question in a separate post, so those of you who have had the fortitude to read this novel, please bare with me if I start repeating questions outside of this thread.
When I got home yesterday, I packed the new Calabresi and it smoked really well. The pipe was warm but not hot when I had finished and I only had to swab it twice for a gurgle. This means a lot coming from a wet smoker who was watching his football team barely win in OT.
And that was the rest of the story.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Wow, what and adventure. I hope they didn't change the formula of Three Friars on you! Please let us know when you find out.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Geez, that was a bit of a misadventure!
I stopped by Habana this evening. I grabbed a sample bag of the new "Fusliers Ration" but found it a little bland. I bought several ounces of "Admiralty" and enjoyed it (sort of Balkan Sasieni like?). I hung out in the lounge for about two hours, but I was the lone pipe smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.