PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I am driving to Chicago from East Tennessee in a couple of weeks for a wedding. I will be there for a long weekend. Where should I go? Restaurants, tobacco shops, etc. Deep dish pizza is a must by the way.

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Love Chicago! Fly in 2-3 times a year for the weekend. +1 to Iwan Ries, it's an institution! Giordano's is a classic Chicago pizza joint - there are a number of locations scattered throughout Chicago. Although not quite the decadent capitalist field trip that it used to be, walking both sides of the Magnificent Mile, North to the Gold Coast, and South into the business loop, theater district is a great way to spend a day. It's hard to have a bad meal in Chicago, and there are some stellar dining opportunities at all $$ levels. Another hint if you are staying downtown - take taxis everywhere. You'll spend nearly as much trying to park at most places, and will save alot of time. Have fun!

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I plan on going to the Taste festival this year! I'm hoping it will be a good time and I will definitely check out Iwan Ries store.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
You have to visit Navy Pier, the Field Museum and the Sears Tower, too. All must see places for someone visiting the big city!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Double Dog on N. Lincoln and Al's #1 Italian Beef on W. Taylor Street. You should also get breakfast at Houlihan's at 111 E Wacker!

adam12

May 16, 2011
In all honesty bring a mountain bike! It is the best way to get around the city and you see alot more if you do. Or you can rent one when you get there from many bike shops arounds town.
Driving in Chicago is not the way to see things, parking is impossible and you spend most of your time in gridlock. Bike it!
And if you don't go to Iwan Ries, you will miss out!!!

goalee1

Might Stick Around
Jan 21, 2012
Definitely agree with the do not drive recommendation. Been a few years since I've lived there but try to go back a couple of times year and of course traffic is worse every time I get back there. Use public transportation. the El is great and its so easy (Iwan Ries is right off the madison stop on the Brown line :) )
If you're there for a wedding, you may not have a ton of time but def do Giordano's not Ginos for deep dish. Take a stroll down Michigan ave, walk through millennium park which is only a couple of blocks towards the lake from Ries. G1

adam12

May 16, 2011
When you see the selection they have in that store, the last thing you may be thinking about is buying one of their store brand pipes. Trust me dude - it's one of (if not THE) best b&m shops in the entire country. Only McCranie's has them beat in my book and it's more because of the atmosphere, not because of the selection. (Of course I've never been to The Briary so I am not entirely sure)
One more thing - not sure if you're into music but there are some of the best live music venues in the country there in Chi-town. Enjoy!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I used public trans when I was there and it's pretty reliable. Chicago is second to none when it comes to jazz, funk and rock music. It's to the midwest, what Austin is to Texas for music.

adam12

May 16, 2011
Another amazing place to check out is Wrigley Field if you are able to take in a game.
Sox park is also fun, but if you have no attachment to either team, Wrigley is more historical.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Bringing a bike is a great idea, as is visiting Iwan Reis. Skip Giordano's, (its ok but not great) and go to either the original Gino's East in the Mag Mile or the original Pizzeriza Uno's or Due's in river north (Both are in old houses. The Uno's chains suck and don't compare to the original). Ride your bike over to North Street Beach and enjoy one of the countries best beaches. Then take North Ave. to Wells Street and visit Second City Theater (they are all good, no matter which one you get into). The next day, take in the Art Institute - it has one of the best Impressionist collections in the world.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Here is a cell phone cap I did from atop the ferris wheel at Navy Pier.
Chicago1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.