PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetlu

Lurker
Jul 30, 2013
So I'm just getting to smoking pipes, and I do a lot of business traveling. Just wondering if you guys can give me tips on what & what not to pack so I can sail right through security.
I want to bring two pipes, some tobacco, Xikar lighter (comes with a tamper), and pipe cleaners.
Your feedback is much appreciated.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As I have mentioned on several threads, I have flown several times recently with several pipes,

several small bags of tobacco, matches, and a pipe tool, in a cheap nylon zippered toilet kit

like you get at Walmart. All this passed security x-ray without a problem. The x-ray operator

knows pipes when he sees them, and the other stuff didn't attract any attention. This was in

a backpack carry-on with another actual toilet kit and a sweater and a few other items. The

last time I was stopped, I was carrying pipes, but what caused a question was my harmonica,

which because of the narrow reed chambers looked somewhat like a pistol clip on x-ray.

They saw the harmonica and put it away quickly, presumably afraid I might play it.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I've flown with lots of pipes, never a problem. I've had tins of tobacco pulled out and swabbed to test for whatever in hell they test for... Thats something to keep in mind if you are carrying tins you don't want opened.

Also, I second the expensive lighter advice. Take a Bic. If it disappears, you won't miss it too much.

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
I've had no problems travelling in Europe, but I very much agree on leaving the expensive lighter at home.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Same story here. Flew from Canada to europe with pipes and 16oz of tobacco. My pipe tool and cleaners were in my checked bag, and I use matches so I just bought some here. Zero problems with security.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
No issues with what you mentioned. Sometimes they will look at my pipe knife but let it pass since the blade was never made to be sharpened. Lately I have been putting it in my checked bag since it is an item seldom use. I accidentally left scissors for cube cutting in my pipe bag on Friday. They didn't notice. I think it depends a lot on the screener and how an item shows up on x-ray.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Definitely pack the pipe tool in checked luggage; pipes and tobacco will be fine in carry-on. In fact, I prefer to take them in carry on since someone from airport security might decide to pilfer my tin of Royal Yacht (or my $15 basket briar--LOL):. I would strongly suggest not packing matches or lighters and buying a cheap Bic or matches when you arrive . It appears some US flights allow for one personal lighter, but I don't think it's worth the hassle of getting stopped by TSA. Safe travels!

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I refused to check luggage.. I use a smaller carry-on and a man purse. I generally have my little maxpedition fatty with 2 pipes, multiple zip-locks of tobacco, cleaners, pipe tool and several bic lighters in my carry-on and never a second glance. I got a Max 'beefy' that I now use for my shave kit.. I lay them side by side between my clothes and have never had a problem. They always seem much more interested in my man purse.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Great comment on the lighter. Recently while on my way to TX they took out my Colibri. The guy checking it kept lighting it because he said he had never seen one like that before. Its like when he light it he didnt really believe it so he light it like 5 or 6 times. I had forgotten my rule of taking my cheap lighters and cheap pipes. But at the end of the day, they were cool.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
pipefish, funny thing is, if you bought that basket pipe for $15, and you have some experience buying pipes,

it is probably not bad, and maybe really embarrassing good. Low priced pipes are a weirdly mixed bag. Lots

and lots of trash, but a number of solid briar smokers with durable long-lasting stems. 'Tis one of the mysteries

of pipe smoking.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Torch lighters are a no go per the rules, but I'm not sure if the TSA screener would necessarily know what is what. I travel a lot for work and always bring two pipes along, and all the trimmings. I don't travel with anything expensive, though, in case it gets lost or stolen.

canadianbacon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2013
Had my $15 butane torch lighter taken away. Not supposed to have them on checked baggage either. Stick to bics they said.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
The official TSA line seems to be: no torch lighters under any circumstances (but you shouldn't use them for pipes anyway), Bic-type lighters OK checked or carried, others (up to two)can be checked fueled if carried in one of those DOT-approved "Colibri Tranzpack"s (they sell them on Amazon). But that's only the U.S., and, as we all know, individual agents' knowledge and interpretation of the rules can vary greatly.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
My only advice (if you use the Colibri Transpack) is that you carry the documentation/manual in the case. If there is no proof that the lighter is a soft flame, they will confiscate it.

Aug 14, 2012
I will not be flying again. The last time they pulled me aside, and check me over from stem to stern. They found nothing, scratched their heads and did it all over again. I felt like John Dillinger, singled out and being treated like a criminal, just because I look a little different. Those low lifes were so sure they would find weapons or drugs on me they just wouldn't believe it when they did not.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Foggy,

That shit happens to me all the time and it REALLY pisses me off. My resume reads like I'm the Man, and I am in "the Man" where I work, but because I do my own thing and look how I want to look I get singled out a lot.

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
I go through security about 40 times per year. Typically I have at least a half pound of tobacco in various bags/tins/pouches, two or three Bic lighters, and a dull blade pipe tool. Been stopped once because the shape of the tins threw a newbie TSA guy off, but once they looked at it I was fine.
Definitely agree with the comments on expensive lighters. I used to travel with my IM Corona and was stopped about every third time. Never had it confisgated, but not worth the hassle.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
The last couple of times I flew, I put most of my pipe gear in checked baggage - but I don't have terribly expensive pipes, and at the time only a cheap butane lighter. On one trip, I was a little over-excited and actually packed a dozen tobacco samples in small glass jars, which I had in my carry-on - sailed through without a problem. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.