PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
In south Georgia, I'll post pics if I get one. It is also turkey seaon so that is a possibility too. There will be lots of other shooting and smoking as well.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Oh boy! You're in for some fun. They are nasty suckers too so be careful! I did that a few years ago in Bandera Texas. Great fun.
Monte%20and%20Porky%201.jpg

Porky.jpg

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Good luck Shain and do be careful. Hopefully you bag a hog and get to enjoy a victory smoke. Make sure you get pics!! :)
Nice kill Z. What were you using to bring it down with?

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I've heard that there are some good ol' boys down south who hunt hogs with a knife. If this is true, and not just rumor then those boys got less brains and bigger balls than me!

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Good on you shaintiques! Hog huntin' is one of my favorite pastimes. Couple years ago I jumped

a herd laying up under a fall-down, and there I am with a single shot rifle.... But I got three

before they scattered! Good Luck to Ya' and Have Fun!
Browning High Wall - Model 1885 - .270

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Good luck. Make sure you have a trusty side arm. If you don't get the kill right away those things are likely to charge straight at you until they bleed out. Good eating though.
You're not going hunting with anyone with Chaney as the last name are you? :D

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Nice kill Z. What were you using to bring it down with?
I used a Bushmaster .223. These things are super dangerous. They have a thick skull like you'd see in thick PVC piping. There are stories where you don't get a clean hit and the bullet will bounce off them (and literally leave a divot). For this one, I walked up, carefully behind him and put 2 .45 ACP's into the back of his head.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I've heard that there are some good ol' boys down south who hunt hogs with a knife
True fact. Smith and Wesson makes a Boar Knife. I can tell you straight up I dont have the ballz to try that.
392189.jpg

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
If you can borrow a small pistol that shoots shotgun shells, I have one take it with you for your own protection in case you go down, I don"t have to tell you they are dangerous. Be Safe The old cajun

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Nice Z.
I have a buddy in Alabama that hunts them with a spear but has a .44mag as a sidearm. He is usually in a tree stand so they can't get at him if he misses.
Top - what kind of rifle is that? Looking at the ammo pouch on your stock I am guessing .308, .30.06, or 7mm. Looks like nice glass too.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Good luck. Make sure you have a trusty side arm. If you don't get the kill right away those things are likely to charge straight at you until they bleed out. Good eating though.
You're not going hunting with anyone with Chaney as the last name are you?
Absolutely true. They'll ram your truck. Funny about Cheney. Though my understanding is that he's only shoots people with a shotgun. :)

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Agree, hog hunting is great stuff.
And agree, treat them like dangerous game -- because they are.
A 150lb boar (a common size for males here) can run past you at 20 mph, give a shake of his head by which he uses his tusk to open your leg like coroner doing an autopsy, then turn in about his own length and come back to kill you.
Never hunt hogs alone; always carry a sidearm of sufficient caliber (.44 or 10mm are good choices) that you know how to use.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
+1 for a backup sidearm. .44 Mag or 10mm would be just fine. I can't remember who it is, but there's some governmental agency that issues 10mms to hunt polar bears! Yow. Stay safe and have fun.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Hunter checking in. Yes I've noodled, though I prefer rod fishing for cats. Just like to fish. Jugs if I need a larger amount for a big gathering, but it's not very sporting.
If you want to really test my redneck street cred, I'll admit to being a big-time frog gigger.
Speaking of turkey season, my property was infested all during the fall and early winter - thick with turkeys. Now they are MIA. It's like they know,,,,
Have fun with those south Georgia hawgs.

Status
Not open for further replies.