PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonn

Lurker
Sep 13, 2013
Lately I have been wanting to try a "cherry" flavored tobacco. Something a little different to my favorite natural based tobaccos. I've been reading and noticed its really a hit-or-miss with the cherry flavored stuff. I was wondering if anyone has tried an excellent blend?
Some I found that I might try:

-Cult Blood Red Moon

-Captain Black Red Dawn

-Peter Stokkebye Black Cherry Cavendish

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
CA's cherry Bomb is a vanilla/cherry blend that's decent. Samuel Gawith's Black Cherry is a quality blend as well.

Good luck in your pursuit.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
Cult Blood Moon is the best I've tried so far, but I've only had a handful of cherry blends. The Samuel Gawith's Black Cherry is a pretty good blend too. I've found that mixing the SG Black Cherry with equal part straight black cavendish and then a touch of something with a little latakia, produces an intriguing blend with a slightly sweet smokey cherry finish.
I can't recommend Lane Very Cherry, as it has a "super fake" cherry taste to it and is way over the top IMHO. Also very sticky and moist.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Although I no longer smoke aro's there is one tobacco that I used to smoke that had a very pronounced cherry flavor albeit it is not touted as cherry being the prevalent flavor. That would be Boswells 'Pennsylvania Dutch Treat'. I still have some and on rare occasions I'll light up a bowl. It's about the only aro that I actually derive a somewhat good taste from and that taste would most definitely be... cherry!

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
mixing the SG Black Cherry with equal part straight black cavendish and then a touch of something with a little latakia
I'm not into aros these days, but this is making my mouth water...

nepenthe1

Lurker
Sep 20, 2012
I have made an exhaustive search in pursuit of " The Perfect Cherry Blend "; my journey has led me to two blends that surpass all others IMHO :
Gawith Hoggarth & Co.TOP BLACK CHERRY
Peter Stokkebye Cherry Bon Bon
Top Black Cherry is blended in the U.K. and is truly a premium blend that is over 100 years old. I just love this premium leaf.

Cherry Bon Bon is more reasonably priced but is almost as great.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I've found cherry to be a real state-of-mind flavor for me. I smoked cherry all the time years ago and then when I first got back into pipes I ordered a half pound of McClelland cherry, had one bowl, and its been jarred in the cellar ever since. Maybe with time and a little aging my taste for cherry will come back around.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
If you want a good no bite but tasty cherry try MacBaren 7 seas red. Here is my review on it.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/review-of-macbaren-7-seas-red

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I'm with nepenthe1's choices. I tried a number of cherry tobaccos recently, and even though I didn't try everything out there, GH Top Black Cherry and PS Cherry Bon Bon were my favorites by a long shot. Cherry Bon Bon doesn't have that over powering cherry flavor, and has a little chocolate like flavor with it. Very nice, but I found that dedicating a pipe to cherry tobaccos is sort of a must, as they can ghost a pipe as well as any lakeland tobacco as far as I'm concerned.

To me cherry tobacco is like an after dinner drink, a little sweet, and best enjoyed in small amounts. But hey, to each their own... :wink:

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I've found that mixing the SG Black Cherry with equal part straight black cavendish and then a touch of something with a little latakia, produces an intriguing blend with a slightly sweet smokey cherry finish.
Sounds interesting macabra11!

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
" PS Cherry Bon Bon "
cherry bon bon is by milan brothers but ps i assume is peter stokkebye.
which did you intend ? i assume milan because of the chocolate ?
i ask because i wish to place an order with milan brothers for their london dock but not sure whether to order their cherry -

( or ps's cherry from another supplier )
anyways ordered mac barren seven seas red
thanks

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I haven't been especially keen on cherry blends but recently was given a sample of Uhle's Raider Blend - a cherry blend with just a bit of Latakia. Absolutely delicious!

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
+1 for Tewksbury's Hobbits Weed. By far my favorite Aro. I just got a tin of CAO Cheery Bomb bc I'd heard lots of good things about it from guys on the forums. Have yet to pop the tin so I can't give you and honest opinion on it

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Lately I've thought about smoking a cherry blend, but that's as far as I let the matter go. If I come across some I might smoke some. I've stayed away from aromatics entirely, and the closest I've come is Peterson University Flake.

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
Cult Blood Red Moon is hands-down the best cherry blend I've ever had. Tastes like cherry and chocolate, and the taste is identical to the smell. Pennsylvania Dutch Treat is great too, but Cult is the best.

zuiderzee

Lurker
May 23, 2013
I am quite happy with the cherry flavour of 4noggins' "Catamount". It requires a bit of drying, as it is a bit wet even by 4noggins' good standards, but after a bit of storing it burns nicely. No chemical aftertaste to speak of.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My favorite personally is Mac Baren's 7 Seas Red Blend.
Lane Limited has Very Cherry and TK-6 which are solid cherry blends as well. I also thoroughly enjoyed McClelland's Light Cherry Cordial. I will agree that Stokkebye's Cherry Bon Bon is good.
As stated before though, cherry aromatics are hit and miss and a diamond in the rough.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm mostly an non-aromatics smoker, but I do have an aromatic or two in my rotation, though I sometimes skip

them. A little rum, vanilla, whiskey, or carmel can be a comforting mild smoke from time to time. I've smoked

a cherry blend or two in my time, enjoying it most when the blend dries out and ages a little and the cherry flavor

becomes quite recessive; then the quality of the smoke depends mostly on the quality of the usually Virginia underlying

tobacco. Over time, cherry flavoring has become less appealing to me, until now, just the thought makes me a little

queasy. Please pass the burley -- Billy Budd or Big'n'Burley, quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.