Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not exactly pipe & bacci talk , but figured it goes with the classy
    nature of pipe smoking...a good ol clean shave and the joys
    of wet shaving / safety razor....

Ok, I just picked up an Edwin Jagger De89lbl Double Edge Safety Razor
    & best badger brush along with some high-quality soap...so now
    my journey continues to learn tech of using one and my days of
    overpriced disposal/carts and crappy shaves are over....

So who else enjoys a good 'ol wet shave /safety razor style?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. kinny141

kinny141

Login to Send PM

I do! Make sure you buy some good razors. I would recommend the brand feather, very sharp for a great shave.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. plet

plet

Login to Send PM

I changed from Gillette to Double edge safety razor one month ago... Not changing back. It takes some practice to get the angle right, but its worth it.

I have a weak spot for Billard-, Canadian-, Liverpol- and Poker-style pipes from Comoy and Dunhill...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

chopsie

Login to Send PM

I've been using a double edge safety razor for wet shaving for the last 5 or years; its a much better shave and less irritation to boot. It may take longer, but the blades are cheaper/last longer for me and its a much nicer experience in general.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. plet

plet

Login to Send PM

Mühle razor and brush. Derby Extra blades.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am hopefully joining the shaving club soon. My in-laws from Peru just arrived. I asked my wife if they would give me for Christmas a razor/shaving set that her grandfather owned. Crossing my fingers!

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,
    that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable Rights,
    that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. brewshooter

Brewshooter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm currently growing out the beard, but will likely hack it off soon. Before the beard, I'd been DE shaving for about six months.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    -C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used to shave in the shower right before I stepped out, always made a nice clean shave. Now, I mostly don't bother shaving and when I do, I generally just whack the excess off with clippers. As a young man, I used an antique straight razor for awhile. Gives a nice shave, but a pain to keep the edge on, and when I caught my 5 year old boy playing "I'm a Big Boy Now" with it, I put it away in the top of the closet and bought a Gillette. Been there for almost 20 years.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm in the club too. My favorite razor is my Merkur 34C HD. I usually use an Astra blade or a Red Isreali Personna. Razors, soaps, and brushes are all part of another really bad -AD habit that I suffer from. I really like the shave that a safety razor gives me but it took me a few months before I was finally able to do it without looking like I shaved with a cheese grater

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hear/read it is all about locking wrist, correct angle and almost
    no real pressure/ let the blade do the work and try many different
    types of blades because one blade doesn't fit all faces.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hear/read it is all about locking wrist, correct angle and almost
    no real pressure/

I will impart to you the single most important thing I have learned in safety razor shaving: There are people that will tell you that it is entirely possible to go against the grain to get a super close shave. DO NOT DO THIS! My neck is cross grain at a 90 degree angle, then cross grain the opposite way, then cross grain the first way again. My cheeks and chin I can go against the grain and I really have to on my chin because theres so much damn hair on my chin and I can pull this off relatively well. Remember that mapping your facial hair is really really important. Make sure you know which way every single whisker grows.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. gnatjulio

gnatjulio

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great.....now you have me shopping DE/ Straight razors again. Almost pulled the trigger on a set a few months ago after reading another thread on straight razor shaving.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As long as we are on the shaving topic I use a Gillette but I did recently find the best face lubricant ever. I found 'Shave Secret", it is a small bottle of oil that smells like cloves, 5 drops of this in wet palms and rubbed onto your wet face and it gives me the closest shave ever with a razor I was about to toss. IMHO this is far superior to any other cream or gels I have tried in my 30 years of shaving.

Kent

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the info gents...makes it much easier starting out...GRRRRRRRRRRrrreat now we can add BAD & RAD to our list of disorders

I already feel the urge...but settled on 1 razor (Edwin Jagger De89lbl), 1 brush (Edwin Jagger best badger)...yeah sure...as I type I have a few other tabs open hunting more

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Damn this forum!! I just ordered a new double edge safety razor online

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. jwp159

jwp159

Login to Send PM

Count me in the club. I use a 1960's Gillette DE , mug and cake soap, boar hair brush. I just love the feel of a good hot brushed lather and I get a much better shave than any throw away razor and caned gel could ever get.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I hate electric razors. They never seem to work good. I use the Gillette 3 or 5 blade ones. I shave in the shower, so I don't use shaving cream. I just use the water in the shower.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use the Gillette 3 or 5 blade ones. I shave in the shower, so I don't use shaving cream. I just use the water in the shower.

Id be willing to bet, even with the cartridge razors, the first time you make a proper lather and try it out, youll never go back. You can get a puck of Van Der Hagen shave soap at Wally World for $2 a puck and its actually really good soap, I use it pretty regularly. The double edge blade slices hair so much more neatly and comfortably when done properly, at least it does in my case. The learning curve is well worth it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. jwp159

jwp159

Login to Send PM

+ 1 on the Van Der Hagen shave soap. I wasn't sur about it when I saw it at wally world but thought I would give it a try. Very good soap for 2 bucks.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+ 1 on the Van Der Hagen shave soap. I wasn't sur about it when I saw it at wally world but thought I would give it a try. Very good soap for 2 bucks.

Van der Hagen is even better when used as a superlather "mixer". Load your brush with a good bit of the soap and add a dollop of shave cream (my favorites are some Taylor of Old Bond Street or a little Proraso Red), and you get a shave that is slick, smooth, and very very comfortable.

All this talk of shaving makes me really want another razor and a couple of more soaps. DAMN YOU ENABLERS!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. jwp159

jwp159

Login to Send PM

"Van der Hagen is even better when used as a superlather "mixer". "

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. brewshooter

Brewshooter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I already have too many soaps and creams. I finally had to stop. I also ended up buying quite a few of the "classic" aftershaves. Oddly, I only bought four brushes and really only use two of them regularly and still just have the Merkur 180 long handle as my one and only razor.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

don't fight it...just go with it

ooooo-shiny...a lil RAD (Razor..)

and a lil BAD (Brush..) to go with the RAD

and some MAD (Mug..)

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. crazypipe

Teddy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is what works for me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. slownumbers39

slownumbers39

Login to Send PM

I have been thinking about going to the safety razor for probably about 10 years now. Currently use the Gillete Mach III and I like it a lot though. I might go to a brush and shaving soap rather than the canned crap though.

I just ordered a new double edge safety razor online

Where is a good place to order these high quality razors, bruahes & soap online?

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Amazon seems to have pretty good deals, free shipping, etc.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. bobpnm

bobpnm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like shave cream from Art of Shaving. I buy it in a small tub with screw on top. Sandalwood is what I use. It seems kind of expensive but you use so little of it on your brush that a tub lasts me a year. A small luxury every morning!

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. dottle

dottle

Login to Send PM

I been using and will continue with my str8t razor,brush,and soap in a cup.Close shave every time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never used an electric razor. Used an old Wilkinson cartridge razor until I ran out of the cartridges they had discontinued, and couldn't find more. Wilkinson blades in an old-time double edge safety razor, and I'm happy. I do use canned shave cream, however - good ol' Barbasol, usually.
    (Of course, I don't have to shave much, and since I'm retired, I only shave maybe twice a week anyway. )

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  30. aaronbrill

aaronbrill

Login to Send PM

I gave up my Fushion about 4 months ago and switched to DE's and shaving soap and a brush. I've settled on a couple different DE's that work best for me depending on how much growth I let go, a 1918 Gillette old-type, a 30's Gillette NEW, and a late 40's Super Speed. I can't see ever going back to a cartridge razor again. If anybody is interested in an almost new Merkur DE, shoot me a PM. It's the 180/23C model I believe...long handle with the safety bar. I bought it when I first switched, but found that I prefer the old Gillettes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

I truly hate to shave, but my wife doesn't tolerate a beard.
    I've tried electrics from time to time, but they just don't do the job.
    So, for me it's the Gillete Fusion Power and whatever shaving gel the wife picks off the shelf.

"I'm always easy to please since I'm always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde
    Posted 1 year ago #
  32. redinthehead

Evan

Login to Send PM

The Gillette Fusion Power that Teddy posted, and a can of Nivea Sensitive Shave Cream(mens) has done the best job for me so far. I've wanted to experiment with finer razors and soaps, but haven't had the money. And I'm not quite old enough to grow a full beard.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. maduroman

maduroman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

i have a birth year fat boy i use and another 3 piece gillete that was made in 1908 that i use plus some straits that are turn of the century.

all in all i have probably 75 different razors, straits, de, single edge and a couple injectors.

i use a brush and soap/creme, some of em expensive british and some cheap american standbys.

i have even shaved with a strait while puffing on my cob.

will never go back to the "modern" way of shaving, and that includes electrics no matter how much my wife complains about the blood....... just kidding sorta.

with my hands the way they are i know i am gonna cut myself and i usualy do, but no one ever bled to death from shaving...

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. mattmars

mattmars

Login to Send PM

I use an old Israeli boar hair brush and a puck of VDH in my grandfathers Old Spice mug. I use a straight most of the time, but will use a cartridge razor when myblades are out for honing. Nothing better than an old fasioned wet shave to get the day going.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've just been using one of those new fangled electric razors. Usually shave after a shower and use some Neutrogena shaving cream. Haven't had irritation problems or anything.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. thuber88

thuber88

Login to Send PM

I use the multi blade fusions, and a de and a electric, depending on the day and facial hair condition.
    Handy for de in a hurry, I will just shave bone dry, of course the blade craps out after a couple shaves that way

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigmick

Login to Send PM

I have used a double edge razor , mug and brush for 3 years now. Once I found my preferred razor style, RAD hasn't inflicted me much. I use open comb razors. I have 3 Gillette New type and 2 Merkurs. I have a Slim Adjustable that gets no use at all, and a couple other DEs that I just haven't disposed of yet.
    I do cheat some mornings and use Barbasol cream, but only mornings when time is a factor and I have to shave. Most days when I'm running late I just skip the shave.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. crazypipe

Teddy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't understand about this DE stuff i used razors like that back in the 60's the new razors out there today do a outstanding job why go back to the old way ? to many cuts.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. thuber88

thuber88

Login to Send PM

For me, a lot of the multi blades clog up too easily, although the battery vibrating one does is much less often.
    So I move around based upon time available and amount of beard.
    Have done the straight razor also.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Why smoke a pipe when there are quicker, easier forms of tobacco to use?

I think the experience of a DE or straight razor is half of it.

The other half is economics. If you don't throw yourself into buying every brush and razor and soap and aftershave on the market, then DE shaving is far cheaper in the long run.

Ever buy a pack of Mach 3 cartridges lately? Even though they were introduced over 15 years ago, they still cost a fortune. Gillette makes around a 4570% markup on their blades, according to this article. New lines such as Fusion/Turbo are worse again.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1191456/Sharp-practice-The-razor-heads-cost-just-5p-make-sell-2-43-each.html

Know what the worst part is? I only shave every couple of days when I have a bit of growth built up. I get TWO shaves maximum out of a Mach 3 cartridge.

So for the same price as 8 Gillette cartridges, I can get 100 Astra Platinum DE blades. They also only last me 2-3 shaves but they are a fraction of the price and way sharper in the beginning...

A good shave soap will also last twice as long as canned goo like Barbasol. Not to mentioin that the scents, lathering, moisture and performance are generally superior. Plus if you keep a rotation of various soaps you have the option of variety and it will make your soaps last even longer...

Long story short, I'll never go back to the cartridges. I'd rather skip shaving all together and just maintain permanent stubble with a beard trimmer if I want an easy, low cost, low maintenance, low frills way to groom my face.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. rev413

rev413

Login to Send PM

I am looking at starting to use the DE instead of the Fusion. But Im still growing the beard out till spring, so I guess I wont know how the DE shave feels like till then. But the 2 razors that I am looking at are the Edwin Jagger de89lbl or the Murker 34C HD, I cant make up my mind..lol

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I went with the Merkur 34C HD and I think it is well regarded as an excellent choice for beginners.

I read a lot of threads and web reviews on the topic and many pointed in that direction. My etailer even bundled the Merkur with a stand and a Vulfix best badger brush at a discounted rate so it was a no brainer for me.

I am not familliar with that Edwin Jagger model but if you find enough good reviews about it, then why not?

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had an amazing shave last night with a Merkur 1904 razor, Astra SP blade, Klar Kabinette shave soap, and Omega boar brush. Topped it off with an alum block and a little Clubman. I was in heaven. Good stuff!

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pinaud Clubman was not for me. Old Spice is as powdery as I will go... The cheap bottle was also terrible, the neck cracked off when I was removing the cap somehow and I had to dump out almost a full bottle. Oh well, it would've taken me 3000 years to consume at the rate I was going.

I'm all about cloves, though, so I probably would've been better off with the Virgin Island Bay Rum for occasional cologne use.

(To me, they are all too strong smelling and harsh for aftershave)

This is treason to some, but so be it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. User has not uploaded an avatar

slimpiknz

Login to Send PM

Once you go DE, you will never go back. I also highly recommend a pre shave lotion before the soap to make the blade run even smoother. Porasso or Art of Shaving have some of the best I've used. Like pipes, the old gillette safety razors are the best to find, I inherited a nice collection of them if anyone is interested. I love wilkinson sword blades myself, just get something better than the bic ones. In this case bic is bad!

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. dervis

dervis

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use bic one time use things. Then again alot of 15 year olds need to shave more often than I.

"You have to be a man first before you're a gentleman. "

John Wayne
    Posted 1 year ago #
  47. hawk60ce

hawk60ce

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

PM sent SD. I'm in the club too

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  48. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

dervis, that would destroy my face if I ever did it once...

In your case I highly recommend a Mach 3 or just a trimmer to keep things in check. lol

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. igloo

igloo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Merkur Futur opened all the way up ,with a feather blade . Art of Shaving lemon oil and shaving cream whipped up in a hot pewter cup with a badger brush . And a splash of Aramis after shave . Guaranteed kisses from the misses. The pucks of soap do last forever and I promise you will find that shaving is something to look forward to and not a chore .

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 1 year ago #
  50. checotah

checotah

Login to Send PM

Tried electric shaver back in the late '70's. Just didn't "cut it".. went back to wet shaves like I had been doing since the early '60's. My grandfather had been a barber at one time and taught me to shave: wash with soap, rinse, hot, wet towel soak for a minute, then lather and shave. Started shaving with Gillette Blue Blades (got about 3 shaves out of each blade), tried a straight razor but found it too much work, even tho' a great shave, switched to Sheffield Sword blades for a while, eventually came back to Gillette, which by that time had become double bladed. Now use Gillette 3 blade system (forget the name of it), and a blade lasts many months (OK, I have a light beard). Used a brush and soap puck in an Old Spice cup for a long time, Barbasol for a while, now use EDGE in a can, and am very satisfied.

For those of us old enough to remember:
    http://www.naden.de/blog/bbvideo-bbpress-video-plugin -->

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Flash Video

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. sjfine

sjfine

Login to Send PM

Merkur 34C and Derby blades for me.

And, as to the advice about mapping the face - holy crap, truer words were never spoken. Some as true, but none true-er.

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. drwatson

drwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love this post! About a year ago I switched to an old time safety razor, because the 20 blade models they make now were just tearing up my skin. So i was like "I'm going old school" and bought one at a local barber store. I can say took a couple of shaves to get the hang of, but i will never switch back now. shaves great, no garbage (except a thin razor blade that will just rust away). And the best thing, i spend two bucks a years on razors now!

John
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   dread, eightywon, dermotfahy, cmdrmcbragg, texmexpipe, jeepnewbie, frozenchurchwarden, jackni, jmatt, rsuninv, trailboss, zunismoke, beefeater33, menuhin, pascal, darwin, huntertrw