Going back to my pipes after cheating with cigs.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
New Cigars
12 Fresh BriarWorks Pipes
96 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickg

Lurker
Aug 1, 2012
Hi I'm a new member and have a question.

I've smoked a pipe since about 1975 on and off. I also smoked cigarettes for over 30 years. Now I'm going back to pipe smoking because I'm sick of feeling like a drug addict looking for a quick fix. When I smoked a pipe I fellt a lot more relaxed. I started with aromatics and was in the process of going to the English blends because I really liked the aroma, but then went to cigs full time and gave up the pipe...Things happen...anyway, I admit that I'm addicted to nicotine, but with all things considered, I could be addicted to a lot worse. Anyway, I'm thinking of trying Dunhill 965 and want to know if this will give me the nicotine I need? Also, I know that pipe smokers don't inhale but, when I smoke, I know that I will breath in, not an intentional inhale like smoking a cigarette but breath in to take in the aroma and some smoke will be inhaled through the nose and mouth. I just wanted to know if I'm unusual in this or is this common.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Yes it will...u also might try jacknife plug...very high N. Watch the inhale, many cig smokers take a while to stop inhaling.

pipedreams101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2012
IMHO, Dunhill Royal Yacht, about knock my d*** in the dirt with the nic level. If you want high amounts, try that!!

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I'm still working away from cigarettes myself and therefore favor strong tobaccos. I haven't had Jackknife Plug yet but Triple Play is good (I hear it's in the same vein). Peterson Irish Flake is also good and strong. Escudo is delicious and satisfying as well.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Orlick Golden Sliced and Jack Knife Plug both got my heart bumping. Actually G.L. Pease Sextant is no lightweight with it's Dark Fired Kentucky blast.

crispy

Lurker
Aug 1, 2012
I'm weaning myself off the cigs right now too, and I've found most Dunhill blends do it for me. At least enough to knock the craving down to a level where I can ignore it. My evening puff of a large bowl of Nightcap usually does enough that I can get to sleep without an issue as well. Keep in mind I was ~1/2 pack/day smoker though so I might be easier to satisfy than some and I'm determined to quit the cigs altogether so unless I'm breaking out in a cold sweat I don't smoke them.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I'm still battling getting rid of cigs. I have cut my cig use almost by two thirds. I still feel like I need a cig after breakfast and dinner and before going to bed.
The real killer is work though where cigs are very convenient.
I recommend getting an international Falcon pipe with filters and then a strong tobacco (but not too strong) like University Flake. The advantage of the Falcon is that you probably will be puffing a lot and the filter will help you not getting tongue burn.
Even though you can easily satisfy the nicotine craving with pipes there is the psychological craving to battle. My best advice here is to just...relax. You are in control of your body, not the other way round.
At least, it works for me. :)

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Well, it's all been said, so I just re-emphasize here:
Highest vitamin N I have found: Kendal's Kentucky. The fact that it's a shag cut may actually contribute somewhat to that as well since it burns quickly.

Inhaling: Yep. Although while smoking a pipe you find yourself doing that a lot less frequent, it's become a reaction that is difficult to get rid of. Somehow we feel we're not "smoking" if we don't inhale
And Juni hit the proverbial nail, pun intended, on the head. At work is the most difficult place to move away from cigarettes since they're so convenient. I'm trying the e-Cig thing at work, but I have to admit there's days where that is more successful than others. I have also tried the Kendal's Kentucky in a very small bowl to get a quick 10 minute smoke and that seemed to be the better solution.
Good luck in the switch

burg

Might Stick Around
May 12, 2012
Hey pipedreams, I second that! Royal Yacht 'bout kicked my a$$ as well!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Lots of great suggestions, I will second the Petersons Irish Flake as being one of the highest nicotine blends on the market. It is also readily available at most brick and mortars as well as online. I quit the nails back in the middle of June I think and have not looked back. My body no longer craves it. I had quit for over 6 years once and was pissed when I went back. They are evil no doubt, but I did love them so.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I purchased an e-cig myself to get over the craving when I am inside the house. I was never a cig smoker, but there are times I really crave smoking in general now. Now the e-cig just sits inside my closet unused, it is such an aweful substitute for the real thing. If I really need a quick smoke, I do purchase miniture cigars which I do not inhale, they smoke for 15 minutes.

chamartia

Lurker
Aug 3, 2012
Dear Nick,
I think that this is my first post on this forum. I have read pipe fora for years, since I started smoking a pipe in 1998. I smoked cigarettes for about a year before beginning with pipes, mostly hand-rolled, unfiltered cigarettes. I smoked both for about a year, then exclusively pipes for 2 years, then back and forth between the two until a few years ago, when I made a real effort to quit cigarettes.
The best advice I have ever seen on this subject is that given by Jim Beard. He was a regular contributor to the Newsgroup alt.smokers.pipes; I see him occasionally on the pipes.org forum now. It is easy to find descriptions of his transition from unfiltered Camels to the Lake District tobaccos of Samuel Gawith and Gawith & Hoggarth. Jim quit all forms of tobacco for two years before committing to the pipe, but I don't think that's necessary.
What is necessary is a real understanding of what a strong tobacco is, and the differences between the pipe and cigarettes as nicotine delivery devices.
A pipe will not give you the quick rush of nicotine that a cigarette will, ever. If you're craving nicotine, a pipe will meet that craving over the course of at the very least 20-30 minutes. Thus one issue with making the transition is to not find yourself in immediate need of nicotine by smoking regularly.
You can also help yourself by getting some strong tobacco. With respect to the other suggestions made on this thread, no tobacco is as strong as the Samuel Gawith brown rope. The cooked, black version is a bit tamer, and the Gawith & Hoggarth brown rope is a bit tamer than the Samuel Gawith rope.
The difficulty with the rope is that it can be hard to smoke if you're not used to smoking pressed tobacco. I would recommend getting a pound, slicing it into the thinnest disks you can manage with a very sharp knife, rubbing it out and letting it dry quite a lot. Keep a pouch of this around, and make sure that you don't deprive yourself of it. If you choose, you can move downwards to other, less strong tobaccos, many of which are more interesting from the perspective of taste.
Do not confuse strength of taste with nicotine. Latakia, for instance, is quite strong tasting, but very low in terms of nicotine. Royal Yacht is the strongest tobacco that Dunhill makes, but it pales in comparison to the Lake District ropes. If you prefer aromatics, there are several aromatic ropes from Gawith and Hoggarth.
Best,

Cybil

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I currently smoke cigs, but limiting my self to around 5 a day... Sometimes the pipe just doesn't cut it for me or I don't have 30 minutes to fully relax with a pipe and enjoy the time

Jul 31, 2012
I'm surprised, I didn't expect so many people just on this one forum to be struggling with moving from cigarettes to pipes. I wish you all success, and when you do it, three cheers for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.