Godless on Netflix

(57 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by anthonyrosenthal74
  • Latest reply from mso489
  1. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love westerns and this one was fantastic. I just finished the last episode of this 7 episode limited series and I was blown away. And I almost didn't watch it. On the trailer I watched, it seemed like it was being toted as being about a town full only of women and I assumed the show was going to be a bunch of feminist mumbo jumbo hidden under the paint of a western. But really it's not the case at all. It seems not all the men are gone, but most of them are as it's a mining town and a terrible mining accident took the lives of the men (most of the men in town) who worked it. Most of the women being widowed, they are forced to try and continue life in the town of La Belle and struggle with trying to keep the town alive and prospering. Aside from a bit of a love story concerning two of the women in town, there's not really much else to make me think there was a hidden agenda of any sort concerning feminism or lesbianism, or anything along those lines other than the fact the women of La Belle are forced to become stronger women in a world dominated by men. So if all that mumbo jumbo isn't your thing, I wouldn't worry too much. It's not my thing either. I don't judge, but I don't care to see it or hear about it everywhere I go or see it in every show I watch. For those characters that were like that, I didn't mind so much because I absolutely fell in love with their characters regardless.

Now all that being said.... All of that is really just a small part of the story. The main focus of the story was actually about an orphaned child who after being raised by an outlaw, who fancies himself a preacher of sorts, grows up and turns against the outlaw band after they commit a terrible act. The outlaw preacher and his gang want revenge on the turncoat who goes into hiding on a ranch outside of town after being wounded. Now that's just setting the story up.... I could go on and on and still not get into the meat and potatoes of this western. I decided to watch the first episode just out of curiosity thinking I'd be rolling my eyes throughout it all, but was pleasantly surprised by a pretty rich and complex story that kept me coming back. And now I wish it hadn't ended! At times touching on racism, and inclusiveness, it was artfully done in a way that helped the story as opposed to making it feel like it was being pushed as so many shows do these days. And at times being dark, sad, and sometimes even a bit funny, and with some great action and fantastic scenery, I think many fans of the western genre and even those who are not would find this a show definitely worth watching.

There are at least a couple scenes showing pipe smoking, but I was so engrossed with the rest of the show that I couldn't tell you where to look for it unless I watched it again. With most episodes being well over an hour long (a couple were shorter) there's plenty of time to load up your favorite pipe for a nice long smoke during an episode.

Being pleasantly surprised by this, but wishing the series had been a few episodes longer to further build on some of the other characters and to build more on the stories of the main characters, I'm giving this one 4 out of 5 puffies.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. mayfair70

mayfair70

Felis Nicotiana combustus

Login to Send PM

Sounds good Anthony. Thanks for the review. I'll look into it right after I finish the last couple episodes of the revived Mystery Science Theater 3000.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made. -Groucho Marx
    Mouse-catcher on The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

An old room mate and I used to watch MST3K, Mayfair. Good times. That show always had me rolling. Haven't watched any of the new ones yet, though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. mayfair70

mayfair70

Felis Nicotiana combustus

Login to Send PM

The new MST3K's started a little weak, but got better quickly. The writing is solid. Patton Oswalt, Felicia Day, and some great cameos like Jerry Seinfeld. The regular host is Jonah Ray and while I'm not his biggest fan, I have to give him credit for doing a really good job. One thing that hasn't changed at all is the movies they riff on are truly horrendous.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I watched this too, as I'm a fan of many of the actors and westerns.
    This one is over the top violent, a parody of violence and guns with some humor, some thought provoking scenarios, lots of gore, love, hate, pride, obsession, horses! The last episode reminded me of the police car chase in Blues Brothers.

I think, Anthony, that you might like the tv series version of The Transporter. Martial arts and amazing automobiles.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. bluesmoke

bluesmoke

Login to Send PM

I've watched the first two episodes. I love westerns, and this one has lots of interesting characters. Frank Griffin is a bit reminiscent of Judge Holden in Cormac McCarty's Blood Meridian, although not as deep , and not as cold-blooded. An unusual role for Jeff Daniels, put he pulls it off convincingly. I'm taking my time with the series instead of binging, maybe because the episodes are so long.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good heads up Anthony. It's on my list.

Finishing The Dark first.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

rostybird

Login to Send PM

I've watched the whole thing now and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. thomasw

thomasw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Watched the first episode last night ... love a good Western; the first episode has my interest peaked.

After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more. Then he felt for matches and he could not find any at all, and that shattered his hopes completely.

The Hobbit
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. seagullplayer

seagullplayer

Login to Send PM

My wife has been talking about this. She liked the trailer, we will give it a go.

On a side note the new Marvel Punisher series is the best one so far.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On a side note the new Marvel Punisher series is the best one so far.
    Agreed. As a fan of the comics, I was very pleased with the series.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I told my wife about it & she loves it, told me that I will like it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have seen it on my netflix suggestions for a while now, but avoided it as I didn't think much of it. Now that anthony has recommended it I watched the first episode last night ... above and beyond what I thought it would be. It's a bit on the violent side, but I guess it's a more accurate rendition of what life in the west could have been. It's pretty accurate as far as costumes and setting, the actors are pretty good - although it is hard to imagine that life was that harsh back then. I mean that Roy character, fainted three times trying to get up the following morning after being shot, and cauterized with gun powder. The Griffin character ... well I always thought outlaws are content with stealing their prize and get out asap, before the law catches unto them. These guys, they resemble more a horde of invading Mongols, than a band of decent outlaws. So, in that sense I think it is a bit stretched, but after all I have only watched the first episode.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I liked it quite a bit. It was a great distraction from my Shakespeare papers.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. randelli

randelli

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One more episode to go! I hope it finishes strong.

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way" - Mark Twain

KG5QDZ
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One more episode to go! I hope it finishes strong.
    Oh you're in for a real treat then! Better load up a favorite pipe and enjoy. Once you click on play you're not moving until it's over.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

grimpuffer

Login to Send PM

I happened upon this show the day it came out.

Having had surgery 3 weeks ago I was up late in pain and decided to give it a try.

The wife woke up and started watching it with me while she tried to go back to bed. Next thing we know it’s 3:30 am and we were hooked.

It starts off slow but is well worth the wait. It’s a great story and has great acting in it.

Very nice show to watch while smoking a pipe as well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Couldn't agree more, Anthony.

I found the series eye opening touching on themes never addressed in the John Wayne horse operas of my youth: Lesbianism in the Old West, Mormon extremists and the financial inroads of prostitution.

Helluva one and done series. Great writing. Beautiful scenery filmed on location in New Mexico. Solid, solid, solid performances from some truly gifted actors. Like Bluesmoke, I was impressed with Jeff Daniels playing so well against type. But, with all due respect, I thought his role might've been based on the "Blood Meridian" character of Judge Holden. Daniel's Frank Griffen was a stone killer.

Fnord

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

fnord you are absolutely right, John Wayne pictures always had a romantic touch to them, even bar fights over there seemed spectacular and not as bad as they truly were. I watched a few more episodes, and like I said, this seems to be the closest thing I have seen to what I imagine it would have really been in the wild west. I think it is better than Dead Wood by a long shot.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm contemplating watching it a second time once I finish up the final season of Longmire. I think it's worth a second watch.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. whiteburleydude

whiteburleydude

Login to Send PM

I've watched Godless. It gets gradually better as it goes, because its a flashback driven series. You jump in somewhere in the middle of the story and then get fed bits and pieces of the past. There is some good acting and it has some star power. I think its ok. I'd give it 6.5/10 in my book. It's just kind of slow, I think it could have been done in half the episodes. But that goes for a lot of Netflix Originals. I would even prefer the old Young Guns movies over this one. Just my two pennies

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So what is a good follow up to Longmire? Something on that level of great acting, nothing gratuitous, plot-wise. I hate when I see a predictable cheap shot coming. Longmire often set you up for an easy cheap shot, then twisted it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've watched 4 episodes of Godless and the acting and story line are terrible. I think I'm done with it? I mean it's pretty awful.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've watched 4 episodes of Godless and the acting and story line are terrible. I think I'm done with it? I mean it's pretty awful.
    Well I guess not everyone can like it Personally though, I found most of the actors pretty decent.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Man, I'm going to miss "Longmire." I joined Netflix just to follow that series after it was given the boot by A&E. (Aging fans skewed the demographic A&E was chasing. Consequently, A&E can blow me.) I really enjoyed the novels and short stories by Mr. Johnson and I hope he was pleased with the way they finished off this last season. It wasn't cheap, mawkish or maudlin. Some favorite characters stepped off the plank, relationships were cemented or left to the imagination and I appreciated the new beginnings so many of the main characters were embracing. It was a satisfying conclusion to a group of characters I enjoyed visiting week after week for quite a few years.

But "Godless" better than "Deadwood?" Madox, you're wrong, of course, but I promise to lead you into the light gently over several bourbons. This might make our cousins smile but that show was the first time I ever heard one man call another man a c*nt. Whoa, really? You can call a guy that?

Dan, our resident frogman is pretty keen on Amazon's "Tin Star" and it is, hands down, the best work Tim Roth has done in many years. A big plus is that the Canadian Rockies have never looked any prettier. Roth also calls one of his male deputies a "tit" and that was a new one for me.

Sorry for the slight detour, Anthony.

Fnord

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry for the slight detour, Anthony.
    Not at all. I'm going to miss Longmire as well. I've got a couple more episodes to watch and it's sad there won't be another season to look forward to.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Godless is very good. And I already miss Longmire. Ugh.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  28. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anthony: Godless is awesome.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad you enjoyed it Woodsroad. I just finished Longmire and I'm going to watch Godless a second time in between episodes of season 4 of Turn.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. indianafrank

indianafrank

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just finished watching the last episode. Great series!

I don't know where I'm going...but sooner or later I'll get there.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  31. bluesmoke

bluesmoke

Login to Send PM

I liked Longmire, too. Now I have to find what to watch next. Maybe I'll pick up on the fourth season of Turn, based on Alexander Rose's book. Good historical drama.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe I'll pick up on the fourth season of Turn, based on Alexander Rose's book. Good historical drama.
    Watching season 4 of Turn now, Bluesmoke. Pretty good so far.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. scottygod

scottygod

Login to Send PM

I will confess to being disappointed in this series. The trailer sells a false bill of goods. I found the concept of a western town run completely by women interesting. I love westerns and this seemed like a neat angle to take. The trailer sold Jeff Daniels as some sort of bad guy positioned against the town. I was in. But the town is only a subplot (regretfully as it's the only part I found interesting) and the 3 main characters are all men. That only matters because the series was sold as one thing and is something else entirely. I won't be finishing it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anthony, you missed your calling. You should have been a critic. As always, your post was insightful and a delight to read.

There is no beauty without some strangeness in proportion.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anthony, great series. Thanks for the heads up.
    Bad ass Lady"s.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad you liked it instymp! I'll be watching it a second time soon.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Roth also calls one of his male deputies a "tit" and that was a new one for me.

I've cued up to watch but haven't started. I am guessing Roth plays a Brit, and calling someone a tit is not unusual in the UK. But I don't think they use "tits up" for something that has gone very wrong or is dead. Could be way off on that. Can someone confirm?

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  38. popeofpiping

popeofpiping

Login to Send PM

I found Godless to be excellent as well. The director could have veered far left with the whole town full of woman, but I was presently surprised that this was not the case. Interesting and entertaining yet a believable story line.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

I won't be finishing it.

Lol I think you stopped watching too soon

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"That only matters because the series was sold as one thing and is something else entirely."

Your loss. I never watched the trailer, just read Anthony's teaser, and I was off to the races. My wife loved it too, BTW, and she's usually a lot more PC than I am.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No one has an opinion on "tits up"?

This is an important matter!

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. loneredtree

loneredtree

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is an interesting show. I am bothered by one detail. Each program starts with several images. One shows a bug leaving from a Over and Under shotgun. I do not believe that they were made at the time period of this story. Any contrary comments?

There is a charm about the forbidden that makes it unspeakably desirable. Mark Twain

“Very few people are focusing on the potential damage this ill-conceived and hastily assembled homage to the ability of bureaucrats to conceive of all manner of problems where problems don't exist then apply solutions to those problems that only create new problems without solving the original problems at all will bring to many sectors.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  44. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm up to episode 3....I find that in any series the first episode is not that good because they have to lay out too much framework. This is getting better as it goes along..........

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. User has not uploaded an avatar

laurenci51

Login to Send PM

Hey! That’s a pretty good rating. I can watch this with my husband. Now days, my husband and I are watching show by Andy Yeatman with our kids. Soon they are going to start with school and then we will have time for watching such shows and movies online.

Posted 7 months ago #
  46. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well since this thread was suddenly revived a year later, it gives me a reason to watch the show again. Thanks laurenci51! Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Posted 7 months ago #
  47. autumnfog

autumnfog

Login to Send PM

Something I really enjoy is reading reviews.
    Books, movies, tv series, restaurants, tobaccos - reviews about anything really.

Especially if they are written well and from a subjective viewpoint like this.
    Got curious about the show and will check it out.

Posted 7 months ago #
  48. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree with most of what Anthony said in the original review. And I'll add that I think it's made as a tribute to other series. A stylized version of a western with some twists and a lot of hints and nods, especially to Lonesome Dove. Which I thought was allright since I've always loved Lonesome Dove.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  49. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I see this thread was started a year ago but I may have to check this out. Netflix has some great series that suck me in from time to time. Another great western series I binged on was Hell on Wheels. The story is based on a post Civil War Confederate soldier and the construction of the Transcontinental Railroad. Pretty rough movie, so if you have kids you might want to make sure they're not around. There are 5 seasons I believe, so there's enough there to get sucked in.

Tim
    Posted 7 months ago #
  50. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank you, AR, for this. I don't know if I was watching this anyway or because of your review. I loved Godless. And Ms. Dockery being in it was a plus. Good old Lady Mary!!

And welcome, Laurence. New members intro section. LINK!

Posted 7 months ago #
  51. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm up to episode 3....I find that in any series the first episode is not that good because they have to lay out too much framework. This is getting better as it goes along..........

I would tend to agree with you, but the first episode of Game of Thrones was fantastic, in my opinion. It did the same thing, didn't go into everything in the first episode either and left viewers hooked and begging for the next week's episode. At least it had me gripped from the start. To this very day, I've never missed an episode on the night it airs.

I've been seeing ads for this show and been meaning to watch it. Might have time soon to sit down with some coffee and a pipe and just binge it like I did Deadwood again recently.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 7 months ago #
  52. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not sure how I missed this thread a year ago. My wife and I both enjoyed it thoroughly and gave it a "would watch again" rating.

"No one has an opinion on "tits up"?

This is an important matter!"

John, I give it a thumbs-up. The typical usage for this phrase at my workplace would be, "This tractor is tits up in the gutter. Drag it out of the way; we'll fix it later."

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  53. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Might have time soon to sit down with some coffee and a pipe and just binge it like I did Deadwood again recently.
    It's perfect for a good binge watch, as it's only a mini-series. It's great if you're all caught up on other shows you watch regularly and need something to fill the space until the next show hits. Deadwood was fantastic as well. I hear they're supposed to be bringing that back in one fashion or another.

Posted 7 months ago #
  54. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I loved Godless and Longmire. We need more westerns

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 7 months ago #
  55. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And Ms. Dockery being in it was a plus. Good old Lady Mary!!

One of the best shows ever. Looking forward to the movie next September.

As for Godless...loved it!

Posted 7 months ago #
  56. ken56

ken56

Login to Send PM

I watched it a couple months back - Loved it.

Posted 7 months ago #
  57. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

An historical footnote, that the Wild West, the cowboy era, lasted for a very short time. There were early influences of explorers, trail blazers, and hunters. Then there was a long afterglow of cowboy and Wild West influences. But the actual hay day of cattle runs, before the network of railroads, was maybe fifty years, seventy at the most ... pretty short however you count it, considering the residual influence and how pickup drivers today mostly fancy themselves cowboys at heart. Big hats and dreams of open range.

Posted 7 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   redone, alexnc, jiminks, instymp, 3rdguy, shanez, mityahicks