New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I popped a tin from 2011 a couple of weeks ago, and I had high hopes. The initial tin aroma was sweet fruity Virginias, so I was excited. I was hoping that this would be a variation on a good solid sweet fruity Virginia. And, with a moderate amount of Maduro leaf for a chewiness creaminess and Cyprina Latakia for a cool smokey spice the blend does have a unique taste. And, the label says Orientals. I keep looking for an oriental taste, and there has to be something warping the Cyprian, something that is subduing it, making it more earthy... an Izmir? Something more Turkish maybe? It is hard to pick out, and the bowl changes in flavor greatly as the bowl progresses.
It is not like a substitute for a cigar, not exactly, but it has a cigar characteristic. It gets oily, dirty almost as the bowl progresses, like a Maduro wrapped cigar. The smoke hangs in the air sticks to you clothes. When I went into the co-op today to get some supplies, I could still smell the smoke on me, unlike a clean Virginia. But, at least I was somewhere where the smell didn't matter, ha ha.
But, if you are a fan of Virginias, maybe you smoke cigars (or are cigar curious), and you want to try something different, this might be worth a try. For the hardcore Balkan smokers or lat bomb lovers, this might not be very exciting. And, if you are looking for a cigar experience in a pipe, nope, keep looking. But, for something different, something smokey, spicy, with a natural sweet fruity base, this is worth a try. 8 out of 10. The strength is there (moderate to high), the interest is there, but it has a dirty crude oil nastiness to it that some might get turned off by.
I'm going to finish this tin, but I probably won't get another. Been there, done that. Too many more to try that I might like more.
I would suggest Key Largo or H&H Virginia Spice as being more worthy of exploration. Key largo for the latakia Maduro experience with a gut wrenching stregnth. And, Virginia Spice for a better Maduro Virginia blend. But, if you are curious, go ahead. It is an interesting Virginia.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Before this sinks below the waterline...thanks for this, cosmic. At least now I know Robusto probably isn't for me. Virginia Spice sounds nice, though. Beyond Billy Budd, my only cigar blend experience comes from adding a bit of my own cigar (Fuente or Padron) to some VAs. I like that well enough, but maybe I should try one of the professionals' cigar blends sometime.

Thanks!!!
The nice thing about Virginia Spice is that the cigar leaf is used very sparingly. I don't so much as taste it, as "feel its presence". It adds a creaminess to the VaPer, cools it down, and maybe adds a tad bit of strength to it.
Key Largo is different. It isn't trying to be a cigar, but uses the cigar leaf as a part of the latakia mix. The flavors all play together well for an outstanding smoke. I love this one out setting by the pool or on the beach in the summer.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Thanks CosmicLore. I like cigar-leaf blends as a change of pace but I have yet to try one that I would smoke when I'm in the mood for cigar flavors. For that, I smoke a cigar.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
According to Greg Robusto and Key Largo have the same ingredients but Key Largo is pressed and Robusto is ribbon cut. Shows how much of a difference different processes can affect the end product.

Status
Not open for further replies.