PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2017
Whats up with the several layers of thick paper that cover the tobacco on the inside of those tins?

Does anyone else use them?

There is a perforated area on all 3 discs that can be turned into a tab to pull on and off of the tobacco.

Does keeping those paper discs in with the tins keep the blends fresher upon opening?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The 50g tins of Captain Earle's Honor Blend ...but I dunno why.

honor-blend-600x450.jpg

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
The paper inserts are there to keep flakes, crumble cakes and plugs from rattling around in round tins and breaking up before they get to the pipe smoker. It has no effect on the tobacco or its aging; it's just to keep everything nice looking and intact in transit.
Sykes

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
i just got some GLP and C&D tins with those layers of wrappings. I found the tobacco was drier than I prefer. I'm thinking all that paper/cardboard is wicking out the moisture of the tobacco. Other blenders don't use all that stuff and rarely have I seen damaged baccy. Even Star of the East was wrapped up heavily and its nothing but a ribbon cut. ???

sakoguy

Lurker
Mar 19, 2015
I find C&D products have perfect moisture content my only issue with the paper inserts is that sometimes small slivers of paper fall off and get mixed in with the tobacco.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I too find their tins to be perfect. At least they can now be cellared. When I first started pipe smoking, you had to open and jar all of their products as they came in unsealed, metal shoe polish tins.
img_20170615_175812.jpg

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
iOther blenders don't use all that stuff and
I'm trying to think of one that doesn't have some kind of paper/foil wrapper inside. Regardless, that small amount of paper isn't sticking up all the moisture. If it were, the paper would be soggy.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Yeah, those old shoe polish tins sucked.
Never buy the vintage shoe polish tins unless you're prepared to rehydrate the contents.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I still have a few of them from my early piping days. Still have the plastic band on them, but they are more sentimental pieces, and will likely never be opened by myself.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I've seen one thin layer of a wax-like paper or one single top layer on other tins.
My recent CD and GLP tins had 3 top layers of a stiff non-coated paper/cardboard and another big wrap-around layer that encased the entire inside of the tin. Moisture will be attracted to the paper/cardboard until it reaches an equilibrium, simple physics.

Status
Not open for further replies.