PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash13brook

Lurker
Jul 2, 2012
I was under the impression this tobacco was like a Navy cut, but it isn't. How does everyone using it prep it? Right now, I just cross cut it, similar to cutting cubes. It seems way too big to stuff as is.

knightmare

Lurker
Apr 10, 2012
I normally just take the plastic lid of the can (as a plate), fold the flake over the lid and tear-&-twist it into smaller pieces, break up any big ones and go to town from there.

intrepid721

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2013
Thornton, Colorado
I've had good luck just rubbing it out as well, though cube cut has been pretty decent too. I'm just working through my first tin as well buy I agree with sothron, some time will make this one shine. A pretty decent smoke though, I love the finish of this blend. What are your impressions ash?

intrepid721

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2013
Thornton, Colorado
Forgot to mention, for what it's worth, I've tried fold and stuff, with some success as well. I'm still hammering out my technique on that one however so my results with it have been inconsistent at best. Cheers!

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
The particular tin I received has fairly "loose" flakes. They were pretty easy to crumble and break apart; nothing like the tightly pressed Orlik flakes in a 50g tin, or Mac B ODF.
I pretty much folded and stuffed, with minimal rubbing. Many of the flakes had already broken apart and were almost like a "ready rubbed" cut.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Roth: What's the purpose of buying a flake at all if it's shredded into ribbons like a mixture or ribbon cut?
The theory is that, in flakes, the flavors have more time to marry. Those who don't enjoy the experience of smoking them as flakes, however, rub 'em out. That's my thought process anyway. Not sure if it's true or in my head. But many of my favorite blends only come as flakes.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Yeah, i'm not sure if I just received a "jumbled" tin, or if it really is more of a loose flake... I imagine you could still cube cut with some success. But mine was so loos and broken up just stuffing it and rubbing out some fluff for the top worked well.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
20130110_181748.jpg

Here's a picture I took of it... As you can see, the flakes are there, but there is a pile of "crumbs" in the back too. I found the flakes to be pretty fragile and easily broke apart when handling (althought they were not brittle or too dry just loose).

ash13brook

Lurker
Jul 2, 2012
Mine looks just like yours, Gray.

I'm smoking the first bowl, now. I just grabbed a small bunch and cut acroos it like it was a whole flake. I' m liking it, but I have a little cold, so probably am not getting the full enjoyment from it.

I guess I'll try all of the methods, depending on my mood, the way I do with whole flake. I might put some away, too.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have finished my first tin of Navigator and cube cut the entire time. These flakes are great for cube cutting and the tobacco burns nice and cool like that. yes it will definitely get better with age, but I enjoy it fresh also. The Kentucky is pretty strong and the flavor of the rum makes it a nice strong, sweet blend. I believe cube cutting it makes it smoke nice and cool and may take some of the edge off.
I am also in the camp that believes rubbing out flakes defeats the purpose of them. One reason I do not like ribbon cuts is because they burn so quickly and can burn hot.
sothron, you sir are heathen for rubbing out your Escudo. lol Hey what ever makes you happy and whatever works, but if you have not tried cube cutting Escudo, you should give it a shot.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
I will cube cut my next bowl of Navigator. The Kentucky IS quite strong! Taking a little edge off that would make this a perfect smoke.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, I will be curious to see at what 1 year, then 5 then 10 does to this one. I believe that the Virginia's and Kentucky are of such a high quality that the loss of the rum casing will not make a major difference after 5 years or so. Do you have any experience with rum cased flakes that have been aged long term?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am like you in that I came back from a layoff in May and most of my old stock was English blends that I have been selling off. I did have some flakes such as Escudo, Three Nuns, F&T CVP, Hamborger Veermaster, Astleys 109, Orlik Golden and Dark Strong Kentucky. I have been smoking those sparingly while I have been re loading the cellar. I have been able to score some aged tobacco from 2002 through 2008 so I am able to smoke a decent amount of aged tobacco. I do enjoy many blends fresh but the aged stuff does taste better.

Dec 24, 2012
All - this is a timely thread as I just cracked my first tin of Navigator last night. This is, in my view, delicious stuff. The rum is certainly in the background and just adds a little extra sweetness, which particularly helps when the tobacco is so young. I have 20 tins in stock and another 30 on the way. I think this is a keeper for sure. As the tobacco ages, the rum is likely to disappear more into the background, but the sweetness and natural sugars in the VA will by then be in full symphony. I like it now, but can't wait to try this stuff in 2-5 years.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Boy oh Boy! Just got the Navigator in and haven't tried it yet. With all of this forum talk, I can't wait until I can try it.

ash13brook

Lurker
Jul 2, 2012
My conclusion after my first day with Navigator. I like the second half of the bowl the best. I started thinking that maybe I was not letting it dry enough and by the second half it had dried out and the flavor was coming on. So, instead of getting my tobacco ready in the morning right before I smoke, I loaded two pipes up before I left work. One with cubes and the other with a fold and stuff and put them in my overhead compartment in my truck (I'm a truck driver) to dry over night. I tend to like my cigars on the dry side, so I'll see how it goes tomorrow. I also will be trying out my JackKnife Plug, if I have time.

Status
Not open for further replies.