PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
been smoking glp meridian and westminster for few days. rather interesting blends, at least to me. the flavor/taste is there, but not really "in your face" there. i'll have to slow down and sort of let the flavor come out. it's nice blends, but i'm rather new and everything so far has been easy to taste and figure out what's going on. is there lot of blends like this? or is it something unique to these two?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
There are many somewhat similar blends. Try Chelsea Morning and Maltese Falcon for a somewhat similar flavor profile (minus the Oriental) to Meridian. Abingdon is a more "in your face" version of Westminster.

renal923

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2018
I've heard that westminster is similar to dunhill's london mixture, which is currently my favorite english blend. I'll be picking some up later today to try.

samw74

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2017
New York , NY
Westminster is Greg Pease’s tribute to the original Dunhill London Mixture. It was based on his memory of what it was like in the 1970s, before Murray’s (and later STG) began manufacturing the blends.
Here’s more direct information:
http://glpease.com/BriarAndLeaf/?p=37#more-37

samw74

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2017
New York , NY
GLP VaPer s
I fell in love with VaPers when I was introduced to Telegraph Hill. It ages really well. Stratford is a lighter version of Telegraph (IMHO), but do not let that dissuade you from trying it. It also ages incredibly well. For whatever reason Fillmore has never agreed with me. Whenever I’ve smoked it, I get dizzy. At first I thought it’s because the nicotine is greater, but I frequently smoke other blends that are much stronger (IE Brown Boogie),’ and i don’t get dizzy. I’ve smoked it fresh, with 6 weeks, 3 months , etc.
I don’t consider blends such as Triple Play and Cumberland true VaPer s because of the Kentucky. Don’t get me wrong they re some great blends, but I just prefer my VaPer s to only have Virginia and Perique.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
For my own purposes, I have catagorised 'Westminster' with 'Rattray's Red Rapparree', and 'Presbyterian' as being delicious blends that are light handed with the latakia, and do not include perique.
Isaac

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I wouldn't say Westminster is light on the latakia, but it's extremely balanced within the context of the blend. If I recall correctly, Greg Pease has said it's a touch over 50% latakia, but that people are always surprised to learn this because it doesn't overwhelm.
I agree with Hoosier that Abingdon is a more assertive version of Westminster, but I think it really loses out in the balance aspect vs. its more refined brother.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I had an unusual experience with GLP Westminster whereby the Latakia seemed to fade precipitously after opening the tin. It was an anchor of the blend as a condiment at first, and then it just went away. I smoked the rest of what seemed like quality tobacco adding other condiments, but it was an odd experience. People like the blend a lot, so I don't think it's typical. I may open a tin of Haddo's Delight to see how that goes. GLP does many various and interesting seeming blends, but Cornell & Diehl seems to be more on my track. As a footnote, Sutliff also made an English blend called Westminster, somewhat along the lines of Dunhill London Mixture, but I thought it was also excellent and somewhat distinct from the Dunhill blend. I think it is still sold under another name in bulk, but I can't dredge up the name.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Westminster was, indeed Greg Pease’s “tribute” to London Mixture. I have never found it to be a copy or directly “like” either the Murray’s or the STG London Mixture. It is a quite good smoke on its own accord. I find Abingdon to be the best of the GLP English varieties. It is definitely more Oriental forward than Westminster or either of the London Mixtures. If I had to choose, Dunhill London Mixture might be my all-time favorite blend.

Mar 29, 2016
Westminster I found horrid and unsmokable while Abingdon is a favorite of mine. Meridian I have yet to try but I really enjoy Blackpoint, Chelsea Morning and Quiet Nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.