PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015

This is more of my experience with this tobacco than a true full on review.
This tin was recently ordered and new to me and the packaging date on the bottom of the tin is October 27, 2015.
This is my first time preparing and smoking a plug tobacco. Upon opening the tin I found the aroma to be very pleasing, slightly sweet and rich and not too strong. The plug felt very firm and was drier than I expected it to be, but not too dry. I sliced off a nice thin strip and rubbed it out and then let it sit for about 15 minutes before packing my pipe and lighting up. I chose a Brigham Algonquin pipe to sample this tobacco because this pipe is one of my oldest and has a nice cake build up.
A few quick puffs for a charring light and then I let the pipe sit for a couple minutes. A light tamping, more fire from the Zippo and off we go. I smoked a full bowl and only needed a couple relights along the way. The taste of this tobacco was really nice. I found it to be very full and "balanced" but didn't find it to be too strong which is pleasing to my tastes. This was a very mild, dry, cool smoke and I tasted mostly a dry grassy flavour that to me was very pleasing. I frequently sipped cool water while smoking and also a nice full bold red wine ( Blackstone Merlot) which accompanied the tobacco nicely. It also left a nice grassy aftertaste in my mouth for a short time after smoking which I enjoyed. Overall I have to say I found this to be a very pleasant smoking experience. I will surely be ordering several more tins of this blend to add to the cellar.
This being my first go at a plug tobacco I must also add that I found the slicing and preparation of the plug to by quite fun and it added a little something extra to the experience. I used a lovely little handmade Damascus knife given to me by a hunting buddy and a handmade apple wood cutting board that I made myself just for cutting plug tobacco.
I would definitely recommend this smoke to a newer smoker, like myself, looking to explore stronger blends. It's strong enough but I didn't find it to be too powerful.
Thanks for reading. Jim :puffy:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Nice write up on a tasty blend!
This one is sweeter and more mellow than it's brother Triple Play but both are great.
I like to cut a fairly chunky flake, cube cut it, dry it and gravity pack it with "kindling" on top.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I like this stuff too. Here are some other reviews on it.

http://luxurytobaccoreviews.com/t/g-l-pease-jackknife-plug

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I nicked a tin of my friend Andre which I smoked some of and then gave the tin to Dan! I found it quite interesting but a little on the moist side. I mixed some with Condor, well I would wouldn't I, it was quite smokable but as I smoke a lot of plug I found that it is best sliced very fine for optimum combustion. I wouldn't buy it again as it is a bit top heavy in Virginia bright leaf but I can see why people like it. As an aside it is quite pleasant to chew.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
jkrug- Great review!

I enjoy JKP on occasion. I think the VA's in this tend to age well also.

You may want to get a tin with a little age on it------- That tin of yours was produced in the future, and has not had the benefit of any age! :laughat:
and the packaging date on the bottom of the tin is October 27, 2015.

Love that cutting board- nice job!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
cobguy I will have to try cubing it like that...most likely later today. :)

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
newbroom I read some of those reviews and they are close to what I experienced as well.

This one was very close to my taste experience:
quote: This is a Man's Man Tobacco
The initial flavor is a sweet smokiness. It is not a Latakia smoky flavor. There is no Latakia in it. It's more like a slow-smoked duck, or smoked-meat flavor. It doesn't taste like duck, but is reminiscent of the smooth smokiness of hickory smoke, rather than the campfire smoke you get from Latakia tobacco blends. The weather turned a little colder here in Florida recently and the chill in the air seems to go well with the stout JackKnife Plug tobacco's full flavor. It's a powerfully round taste that reveals a little bit of tanginess as you get to the mid-bowl point. It is evident that there is a perfect marriage of different types of tobaccos that create a natural, smooth, yet full-bodied round tobacco flavor. There is a little spiciness, but it is a smooth, sweet spice rather than a hot spice. The tanginess becomes more pronounced as you smoke.
beefeater33 I plan on ordering several tins to start cellaring/aging. I can see this smoke becoming one of my regulars. This one is obviously a very young tin!! :oops: And I even proof read it! lol
Glad you guys like the knife and cutting board. They are handsome smoking accessories for sure. :)

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Jk
Well done. When I first purchased the tin I was warned that it was a heavy blend, at least that's what I remember
Fact is, it's delicious and I do enjoy it
Nice knife and cutting board

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Pressed tobacco has always fascinated me, and plugs being highly pressed currently fascinate me most. I love the ritual of pipe smoking and don't mind the three-step but quick process I use to clean the pipe after smoking. On the front end preparing plug is also satisfying. I feel like I am participating in their ~!300 history.
JNP is a lovely tobacco, and I had not smoked it until the last six weeks. The first tin is almost gone, and the blend is growing on me. Moderately but deliciously flavored with enough nicotine to satisfy this full-bodied smoker's kicky yen.
Pease said that he most enjoys cigars with moderate flavor, and while my pipe smoking preference has been full body and full flavor, in the realm of cigars I find that I agree with him. I got 20 Graycliff Casillero Privada off Cigarbid @ $5.00 per (I buy everything from them; churchills, selling for $16 per retail), and their flavor is moderate but nonetheless brilliant. This reminds me of the restraint in JNP.
More! More!

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
This thread got me thinking that I need to try some plug.

Available in my B&M are Peterson 3P, Mick McQuaid and Revor Warrior plug.

Which would you suggest I try first, based on the fact I am smoking my way through a couple Orientals at present.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but thought better here than start another.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Jim, thank you for your nice review. I have a tin from early '13 that I acquired from Ed. I am hesitant to open it as it's already a ways down the aging road, but your review makes me want to give it a try. Sounds great.

Btw, the knife and cutting board are very nice.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
4nogginsmike, I enjoy cutting and prepping the plug tobacco also. It adds a little something extra to the smoking experience.
kane, I bought three tins. One to enjoy now and the other two are set aside to age a little. I will probably buy a few more to stash away now that I know I enjoy this blend so much. I keep the knife and cutting board just for tobacco. Kinda rustic and cool.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
JK Plug is one of my keep on hand blends. It isn't in my regular rotation but I like to have it on hand when the urge hits me. There really isn't a substitute for this blend.
Pax

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think I'd like Jackknife; I really like Triple Play. That apple cutting board will improve any plug tobacco experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.